Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias When recording in 1080i50, it stops around a minute and a half. Once again, I adjusted the bitrates to 50M and 100M, and was recording on the former.

• @thepalalias sorry for lacking details. I was using the first version of Mysteron, non-burst. I did format the card when I unpackaged it. Thought I got the top of the line card, hoping for no errors. Errrrr.

• After several weeks of testing Sedna I ran into a spanning problem with Q20 "C." It seemed of the three to be handling motion and handheld instability the smoothest. I use a Sandisk 16GB Class 10 95MB/s SDHC card. I guess I had never really let Sedna roll during an interview before and assumed if there was a spanning issue it would stop recording. I guess I was wrong. Still, all the files seemed saved (I hope!) and to be in divided files which are 4.29 gb each. FCP and in-camera playback would not even see these files. After trying a few options Clipwrap saved the day and converted the problem files. I guess spanning is just something we have to live with with Sedna? I continue to be floored with the ever increasing quality of the GH2 footage, thank-you Driftwood, Vitaliy, and everyone.

• @thepalalias @GH2_fan this was the same issue i ran into last night. I have the 32GB 95mb/s card and it would crash on manual mode (59.94) after 10 seconds.

• @5thwall @GH2_fan While I've spent the better part of tonight trying to get over a migraine, but it seems a little better at the moment, so I am going to try to see if I can help figure this out at all.

@jvalal I still need you to be more specific. Please include lens, ISO, shooting mode (24H, SH, FSH, etc.), PAL or NTSC setting and how long it recorded before you encountered an error in each mode. I've done the same below for Sedna AQ1 in NTSC and PAL modes on 2 different memory cards, including yours.

Test Part 1: Shooting a high detail painting

Shutter 1/50, f/4.0 or f/5.6 where indicated (with Rokkor f/1.4,) ISO 1600, WB Tungsten.

Sedna AQ1 A (PAL) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

• FSH: 4 m 56 secs to 5m 31s (NO SPAN) tested 2 times
    • SH: 1 m 20 secs (f/4.0) 2 m 55 secs (f/5.6) (NO SPAN - write speed error) tested 2 times
    • HBR: 5 minutes 31 seconds (NO SPAN) tested 2 times
    • 24H: 12-45 minutes before I stopped it manually (SPANS) consistently spanned
    • 80%: 8-9 seconds (NO SPAN - write error) tested 3 times

Sedna AQ1 A (NTSC) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

• FSH: 6 minutes 06 seconds (f/5.6) (NO SPAN)
    • SH: 6 minutes 16 seconds (f/5.6) (NO SPAN)
    • HBR: 6 minutes 05 seconds (f/5.6) (NO SPAN)
    • 80%: 7 seconds (NO SPAN - write error)

Sedna AQ1 A (PAL) - 16GB Delkin 95MB/s

• FSH: 8-10 seconds (NO SPAN - write speed error) - tested 2 times
    • SH: 7-8 seconds (NO SPAN - write speed error) - tested 3 times
    • HBR: 5 minutes 31 seconds (NO SPAN)
    • 24H: 3 minutes 53 seconds (NO SPAN)
    • 80%: 5 seconds (NO SPAN - write speed error)

Sedna AQ1 A (NTSC) - 16GB Delkin 95MB/s

• FSH: 1 m 44 seconds and stopped (NO SPAN - write speed error)
    • SH: Try 1 = 11 secs Try 2 = 15 secs Try 3 = 1 m 15 secs Try 4 = 16 secs (NO SPAN - write speed error)
    • HBR: 6 minutes 05 seconds (NO SPAN)

Test Part 2: Shooting a high detail painting

Shutter 1/50, f/5.6 (with Rokkor f/1.4,) ISO 3200, WB Tungsten.

Sedna AQ1 A (NTSC) - 16GB Delkin 95MB/s

• FSH: 6 minutes 05 seconds (NO SPAN) repeated 2x
    • SH: Try 1 = 14 secs Try 2 = 33 secs Try 3 = 14 Try 4 = 20 secs (NO SPAN - write speed error)
    • HBR: 6 minutes 05 seconds (NO SPAN)

Sedna AQ1 A (PAL) - 16GB Delkin 95MB/s

• FSH: 11-14 seconds (NO SPAN - write speed error) - tested 3 times
    • SH: 9 seconds (NO SPAN - write speed error) - tested 4 times with identical results
    • HBR: 5 minutes 30 seconds (NO SPAN)

So far, the 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s is performing a lot better than the 16GB Delkin 95 MB/s, but both are having more difficulty with PAL settings than NTSC ones. Only 24H is spanning, and only on the SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s.

Here is some additional data.

Sedna Q20 A (PAL) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

• HBR 5 m 35 s
    • FSH 5 min 35 secs
    • SH 6m 11 secs

Sedna Q20 A (NTSC) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

Summed up: SH, FSH and HBR all stop after 6 to 7 minutes when shooting ISO 1600 at f/4.0.

80% stops after 7 or 8 seconds.

Mysteron Burst (PAL) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

• HBR 3m 57 secs (setting had time limit built-in)
    • FSH 3m 57 secs (setting had time limit built-in)
    • SH 3m 57 secs (setting had time limit built-in)
    • 24H 9 secs (write-speed error)
    • 80% 2 secs (write-speed error)

Mysteron Burst - NO TIME LIMIT (PAL) - 16GB Delkin 95MB/s

• HBR 6m 33 secs (4GB limit)
    • FSH (LOCKED UP COMPLETELY AT 4M 28S with a corrupt file without reaching 4GB limit)
    • SH 12min 29 s (4GB limit)
    • 24H: 5 secs (write-speed error)
    • 80%: 2 secs (write-speed error)

Mysteron Burst - NO TIME LIMIT (PAL & NTSC gave same results) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

• HBR 6m 33 secs (4GB limit)
    • FSH 6 m 32 secs (4GB limit)
    • SH 31M + (I stopped the recording at this point - SPANS)
    • 24H 7 secs (write-speed error)
    • 80% 2 sec (write-speed error)
  • But after applying Driftwood's Quantum X 4b CBR hack, I'm not getting a constant bit rate. Instead of getting 144Mbps, I'm getting 113, 116, 111, 99, 110, and 112 as Mbps in my clips. Has anyone else had this happen? And does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

When you apply this hack, aren't you supposed to be getting a constant high bit rate of 144 Mbps regardless of what you are shooting???

• @jvalal

What kind of link is this: http://amzn.to/J2a9Wq ?

Are you sure you got a real SanDisk card?

• I put together a review of a 52mm Neewer variable ND filter with all the video using SpanMyBitchUp v2b. Shot in VMM 80%, ETC, Vibrant (-2,-2,-1,-2):

I'm really liking SpanMyBitchUp -- the quality is fantastic and file sizes are manageable. I'm occasionally getting write errors in 720p SH ETC, but dropping to H solves that, and I can't really tell a difference. Everything else is stable. Nicely done, driftwood.

• @Psyco it's a link to Amazon. Did you actually click on it to see where it went or did you just start making snide comments based on the link formatting. I suggest your familiarize yourself with link shortening services that exists, it's a pretty common format online.

• @jvalal sure I had a look where the link goes - and sure there are enough people around the internet that try to rip you off (and its pretty easy with redirects and fake homepages).

• @Psyco I don't think Amazon is trying to rip me off. They are a pretty reputable company, you may have heard fo them. Not following your logic, and really not the forum for this type of discussion. Thanks for your concern.

• @jvalal The reason @Psyco mentioned that possibility was because the link showed Amazon acting as a third-party for another seller, as opposed to it shipping from Amazon directly. However, I would not worry about it being a fake, as long as your results are consistent with the testing data I provided for the card.

Did you have a chance to look at the record times I got with various settings using that card and another one? I spent a lot of time testing with it so you and @GH2_fan could see if it was the card that was giving you problems or something else. The Delkin 16GB 95MB/s appears to give similar performance to the SanDisk 32GB 95MB/s, and both cards are noticeably slower than the SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s. I will try to supplement my test data with standard Mysteron data.

• Hi all. Here's some Mysteron footage I shot a couple of weeks ago for a friend's product launch. My only note on the footage is that it was difficult to color correct, possibly supporting others claims that Sedna is better for CC. But this is not tested on my side. Shot at 24H on a range of cards from 95mb/s to 30mb/s. No errors while shooting. Didn't check to see if spanning worked since none of the takes were that long.

• @thepalalias @sanzadez found a program to help diagnose write/read speeds. Doesn't look good, but I also don't know how reliable this tool is. Mac's seem to be light on the benchmarking apps. I did look at the results,but didn't have a chance to share my settings. Looks like it may be a card issue.

VIdeo >> http://screencast.com/t/BAmjIIL7Icnp

Also, card is supposedly from 17th Street Photo http://www.17photo.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=SDSDXPA064GA75

• Hi, I've had good fortune with Zaven's modification/combination of Sanity and Sendna called: Sanity4-Sedna A Q20 hybrid.zip (look on page 7 of this thread) Zaven, it might be a good idea to post these valuable settings on "all the settings and patches in one place page". I really like it both the 1080p and 720p. Thanks again to all the contributors here.

• @jvalal Unless you have an unusually fast card reader (USB 3.0 etc.) then that isn't going to help. A lot of card readers (whether built into the system or external) cannot keep up with cards. On the laptop I am typing on, the average copy rate displayed in explorer for even fast cards is only 17 or 18 MB/s (and that is with ones I bought from authorized SanDisk and Delkin stores in person).

What you want to do is exactly what I outlined before. Match the settings for one of the tests I did and compare how long you can record. That is why outlined every parameter (including the manual focus lens) to make it easier for you to duplicate it if you wanted to.

If you are using a SanDisk 64GB 95 MB/s, shooting smooth -2, -2, -2, -2 and are shooting at ISOs of 1600 or lower with a manual focus lens but cannot get close to the record times I showed with Mysteron (not burst), then it seems possible that your card is defective. But the results from the tool you used do not prove anything one way or the other unless you have previously proved that your card reader can greatly exceed those rates.

• @driftwood Nick, where are you? The Topic is missing his master...

• @terry2 He may show up, but remember from his last two posts that he did not plan on being on much until the end of April when his current busy schedule gets a little less crazy. :)

• @thepalalias

Manual Mode (M) Auto ISO Indoor Light 1/50 4.0

Sedna A AQ1 A (NTSC) - 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s

HBR: > 8Minutes of recording

I set it to 1600 ISO, but when I hit record it automatically changed it to AUTO?

Still interesting is that my Mac SD card reader doesn't always recognize the card when I insert it.

• @jvalal you are one of the lucky ones if it does read it sometimes. mac and the latest san disks(95mb) don't go well together...mine doesn't see it 95% of the time...i need to use a retarded external usb sd card reader. but it does work on another mac with one step earlier os x system which is a mystery.sorry to bring that to you, but yes the best sd cards and the powerful(???) macs with its pitty and bugged sd card reader are just not a good combination. and to make things clear it has noting to do with the camera or the patches.

• @luxis thanks for the added color. Definitely helps in trying to identify issues. I automatically want to default my thinking to patch issues.

• @jvalal of course it comes to mind first:)but it is not. if you want to double check u can try using the card with the original firmware...and the issues remain...bad mac ,bad san disk! read around forums and mac help places...its sad :(

• @jvalal Are you in "M" or the "Movie M", which has a camera icon next to it? You want to make sure you are in Movie M. If you are, then the only reason that "Auto" would show up is if you are using an older version of PTool.

So if you are in Cinema M and get that error, try downloading the newest PTool at https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software and make sure you use Firmware version 1.1 not 1.0 from Panasonic. Be aware that the only way to tell if you are running the newest version of the software is to open it - it is not indicated in the filename or on the page. It should say "PTool 3.65D (280312)" at the top.

Once you have done that, save Sedna to a new .BIN file, load it and see if you still get that "Auto" error.

• I was in (M) non movie. That was one of the questions I had way in the beginning. I have no idea what the hack settings apply to. Is it just Movie(Icon(M)) or does it apply to all settings if I hit the Red video camera icon button on the top? So is it safe to assume that all hacks just apply to that Movie(Icon(M)) setting? And if I use any other setting that it's just the stock settings, or whatever I set?

I notice that when I move to Movie(Icon(M)) setting it moves to crop mode, is that standard behavior?
    This dialogue is helpful.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions