Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • AMAZING amazing amazing!

• Nice thing is, Blackmagic can scale up from here. I do hope they keep it simple down the road. Too much choice can be deadly. Their website is clogged up. Meaning people crave something different.

• My thoughts exactly. Big corporations feeding us a minor upgrade everytime to get our money, and people know this and they don't like it, Canon. Here's Blackmagic.

• It looks great looking at the specs, but honestly, I didn't fall of my chair looking at the footage, so I would remain calm at least for a while... Anyway, exciting times that we have...

• I would definitely buy this camera as a fashion statement.

Specs aside, GH2 footage routinely takes my breath away.

• @ I didn't fall of my chair looking at the footage

Yea it almost looked like it had a back-focus problem or something... maybe with the lens mount?

• well, the guy seems to use cheap Canon lenses... so that might be an issue as well...

• I thought the exact same thing. All the sample videos look, well, but blurry, but not sharp. My GH2 looks a lot sharper, even with cheap Canon lenses.

• My seller just got the SKU and I ordered the very first one from him.... The workflow is what does it for me!

• It's not easy to do something simple like this for the traditional companies. They like their whole line of camcorders with this and that. Wish Panasonic create a pro GH model with AVCIntra. That would own the market. But they won't. But good for Blackmagic to show something different. I do really hope they don't mess things up by putting in subpar electronics. Don't need bad pixels on RAW camera.

• They used Leica R's, so there should be no problems with the lenses. Maybe the adapter wasn't 100%. Many shots had relatively shallow dof. I would have wanted more wide shots in varying conditions with long DOF to get a better grasp of detail rendition.

With that said:

It was 720p vimeo compressed footage.. quite hard to tell how it really renders detail, apart from the fact that there where no obvious problems with moiré or aliasing and that it started to get a bit noisy @800 iso in the lower mids / shadows, blue and red channels from first glance.. The footage wasn't pushed in post either. From the handheld shots it seemed surprisingly sensitive to rolling shutter (in relation to sensor size).

Awaiting some original files from this camera! And m43 or e-mount would make so much sense..

• Engadget photos

bm_1.jpg
    800 x 531 - 140K
    bm2.jpg
    800 x 531 - 119K
    bm3.jpg
    800 x 531 - 107K
    bm5.jpg
    800 x 531 - 76K
    bm6.jpg
    800 x 531 - 118K
  • @RRR You cant really blame 720p Vimeo for unsharp footage. The GH2 footage on Vimeo gets the same treatment and looks much cleaner and sharper. I use the same Leica R 35mm on the GH2 and it looks much better. Ok, I probably cant push the color as much, but so what.

• I hope our guys at NAB will tell them few words

Could one of those words be, "genlock"?

• @David_Cole

They are reading topic, so hope it'll be on of them. This camera clearly needs something like it. Now they have only Lanc. But may be you could capture and sync via Thunderbolt (using computer, I mean) ?

• @tak

720p gives 720 lines of resolution, maximum, in a very compressed format. (vimeo) So it definately limits the presentation.

Many know how to select 1080p in their file settings by now and many allow people to download their footage. This particular footage was graded (adjusted) for maximum dynamic range = looks bad in high compression (loss of detail for color information). Sharpness could most likely easily have been pushed if that was the intention of the video (which it wasn't). They went out to test dynamic range.

If you check the last video, with cables hanging over the streets you can see there is no aliasing which is a clear indication of a higher resolution than what the video displays. Shoot the same with a canon and you'd have jagged lines all over. I think we all know resolution is no issue with the gh2.

• @KeithLommel

ideal for Tokina 11-16?

• Every single competitor will stand at that Black Magic booth all day. Believe me, this camera frightens all the big corporations more than anything else this year at NAB. Sony, Canon, Panasonic all can give us the same... by damaging their profit margins. Also, when they do that they can't give us an update next year with 2 new features... which is their strategy. I think even RED didn't see this one coming.... this is the real Scarlet. BMD just delivers what RED promised us. BMD also is not a rip-off company, they aim for great products at a low price. They did it with resolve, with the Decklink cards.... it is their mission.

Resolve gets an update from 8 to 9 and it is FREE. You also get it with this camera ($999 software).

No, these guys are all passion.

• i newer seen such a all in one camera .... this looks like very mature product ...

• Not only do you get Resolve 9, but it also comes with Ultrascope (a $600 value) for a total of $1500-$1600 of bundled software!!! This pretty much makes this a no-brainer!

Does anyone have any idea when and where we can pre-order???

• "this looks like very mature product ..."

and the design and workflow look amazing... this is truly next gen cinema. I think the next step is just putting a damn NLE in the camera!

• yes but then many people would start bitching that lcd is to small for editing... :) they already start to do that ....

• I was expecting something like this (2k camera that has pretty much "everything" @ the price of a "normal" dslr) during the coming 1,5 years - but to come so soon and to come from blackmagic design - that really blew me out of the water. What will it then mean for the big manufacturers? They will take note, for sure. Obviously there will still be markets for big sensors, video + still capabilities, high framerates e.t.c. but for the aspiring indie filmmaker - blackmagic presents it pretty much all in one package.

• i think first they try to ignore ... but when they start to lose money they try to buy BMD ...

• The ONLY thing that I would buy instead of this... would be something like a Lumix modular video cam with GH2 or better sensor, shooting at least 60fps in 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit, and 120fps in 720p, for $3500. But hell, after today I might only be will to pay $2500.

High frame-rates are really important to me (at least 60fps)... but so is RAW and 12-bit. I think BMD priced this just right though, so you can buy it for your A-cam and rent something like the F7000 for slo-mo.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions