Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • Remember that we have special pages about BlackMagic Cinema Camera in out Wiki now

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

Feature highlights include:

• 13 stops of dynamic range
    • Large 2.5k sensor
    • Integrated solid state drive recorder (SSD)
    • Ability to capture CinemaDNG, RAW, ProRes and DNxHD files
    • Touchscreen for metadata entry
    • Compatibility with EF and F mou
    • SDI and Thunderbolt connectors
    • Includes a FULL copy of DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope software

First videos:

http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera

Full specs

Videos:

Links:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-take-it-from-the-top/

If this camera delivers, this is going to be my next camera. BlackMagic Design is gong to deliver what RED promised with the original Scarlet announcement. Thunderbolt connector, free Resolve, Touchscreen for metadata entry!

This happens when honest companies like BlackMagic Design, which don't have to artificially protect their high-end gear (I am talking about you Sony, Panasonic, Canon) start entering the camera business. If the image quality lives up to the specifications, this is going to be THE camera to get. Sony, Canon, Panasonic won't be happy in that case. The 5D Mark III could do the same but Canon doesn't allow it because of C500/C300. Same for Sony, Panasonic. If BlackMagic delivers, I will respect them so much!

I won't be surprised if BlackMagic Design will launch their own NLE down the road as well.

• 1156 Replies sorted by
  • Wow. [drools]

• Wow!!! Here comes the big gun!!!

• This is awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this development.

• Wow, at least something that looks like next gen camera.

• How large is the "large" sensor? Hopefully larger than micro 4/3, but I'm thinking smaller than full frame. I'm wondering if they licensed the sensor from Sony... although more likely they are using a Super35 like the Kineraw

http://www.kineraw.com/index.html

• Press release

Blackmagic Cinema Camera

We have been thinking hard about cameras and some of the limitations in quality that video cameras run into. Working with DaVinci color grading has only made these limitations more noticeable.

Some of the reasons why video cameras look like “video” is because they have limited contrast range, are limited to HD resolutions, use heavy compression for file recording, have poor quality lenses and of course they don’t integrate into NLE software with metadata management.

We decided to address these problems by developing a camera that provides feature film quality in an extremely compact portable design.

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera includes a super wide 13 stops of dynamic range, large 2.5K sensor, integrated SSD recorder that has the bandwidth to capture CinemaDNG RAW, ProRes and DNxHD files, integrated capacitive touchscreen LCD for direct metadata entry, standard jack audio connectors, refrigerated sensor and it’s fully compatible with EF and ZF mount lenses.

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera also includes SDI and Thunderbolt connectors and it comes with a full copy of DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope software. Imagine plugging in your laptop for on set grading and scopes!

The 13 stops of dynamic range is one of the most important reasons why this camera looks like film. Often people focus on more pixels, but that is just a larger video image. The real way to get film quality is to capture a wide contrast range to retain more detail in the black and white levels of the image. Then once you color grade the images, it looks amazing! Combined with amazing EF and ZF lenses, the result is a true film look!

Of course the quality is killed if you compress the images when recording them, so we built in an SSD recorder. That means you get the recording speed you need to record the full 2.5K RAW sensor data into completely uncompressed CinemaDNG files. This means you get all the detail and quality of the sensor.

No files on this camera are custom in any way and this is the first camera that’s designed to make the whole post production process simple. It records into CinemaDNG format for RAW files, and DNxHD or ProRes for HD resolution files compatible with Avid Media Composer and Apple Final Cut Pro.

You can play back all recorded files on the LCD, and there is a built-in microphone and speaker for reviewing audio. Of course you will want to plug in high quality audio into the standard jack connectors and the audio is always recorded uncompressed for highest quality.

The integrated LCD has a touchscreen and when tapped, a window called the “slate” appears where you can type in shot information just like typing on a smartphone. This is then recorded into the file as metadata in the Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve format. Common data like shot number can auto increment to save time.

You can also change camera settings on this touch LCD, such as frame rate, shutter angle, color temperature, dynamic range, focus assist settings and more. The SDI output also has overlays showing you all the camera data when monitoring on set, and even the same data when playing back recorded files!

The design is machined from a solid block of aluminum and looks amazing. It’s strong, very compact and designed to be easily hand held. I am still amazed we have fitted all this into such a small design, when normally features like RAW recorders and monitoring can be optional extras on cinema cameras.

A cinematographer friend of ours, John Brawley, has been working with the camera for the last few weeks. He’s shot some test clips in the process of working out what the camera’s capabilities are and we have posted them online for your to see. Even though some of them are just hand held test shots near John’s house, they are still great to see as examples of what’s creatively possible. Remember to select HD when viewing them!

• Wow, this looks great. Only thing I don't like is "Compatibility with EF and F mounts" - The camera body looks like it could have been made a lot shorter and use adapters to put on nearly every lens mount.

• hahaha - now that's a real kick in the butt for some smart marketing asses in Japan! wow

• Pure speculation here, but I'm guessing it uses this sensor (not Sony):

http://www.imveurope.com/products/product_details.php?product_id=1205

• Very nice form factor.

• "Now before we go on, I want you to realise how significant this is. We’re talking about a camera that does RAW and uncompressed. For just $3000 bucks. Insane."

• The camera uses bog standard SSD drives as media. The kinds of drive that are powering the latest notebook and ultra book computers. SSD’s are reliable, relatively cheap for the performance they offer and they are very readily available. As a consumer item, their costs are on a constant downward trajectory too.

Quite the contrast to Panasonic P2 SD cards :-)

AT least we see something sane doing cameras (contrary to DBolex joke)

• @ahbleza

The sensor features 5.5 x 5.5µm pixels laid out in a high-resolution 4,096 x 3,072 matrix resembling the APS-C format.

I think they stated "Large 2.5k sensor".

• Rolling shutter, though.

• Any news on the frame rates?

• Yep.

Only deficiency is no 50p/60p :-)

• Active Sensor Size = 15.6 mm x 8.8 mm

So a bit like Super 16. I think Digital Bolex is done. People will buy this instead.

• Btw, look at sensor size :-) Yep, similar to original m43 :-)

I think Digital Bolex is done. People will buy this instead.

And you think that end date was accidental? :-) Few more days, and 90% of people will be gone :-)

• They just added active sensor size : 15.6 x 8.8 mm.

edit : ah ah you two are too fast.

• Sensor Size - Active: 15.6 mm x 8.8 mm

Oh, come on!

• A proper 2k raw or uncompressed cam, minus storage, should really only cost $1000, BUT...when compared to the competition, BM just gave a big FU to EVERYBODY. They definitively earned every bit of profit they get from this.

Good...Digital Bolex...DOA....KineRaw-8p, now officially needs to be $2k or less to compete. Thank you "Moore's Law"...thank you.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions