Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Shian I dont know if its apparent...But I often wish I could have someone like say..Roger Deakins as my mentor.........but I realize now that no... I would rather learn from someone like you. This is 2012...you are on the CUTTING EDGE of an era where a $700 camera can shoot a feature that looks damn well good enough to pass on the big screen to most viewers.YOU have the REAL WORLD knowledge based on experience... and you have a passion and tenacity about cinema and sharing what you know and continue to learn with others. In 15 years people may be talking about YOU the way they do Ridley Scott and will say this I for one respect you sir...and if I could choose an Obi-Wan in my life as a filmmaker... right now I would choose you. If other people on the forums don't want to heed your wisdom.....f-ck them. -

• It seems a good idea about editing decisively. I'm thinking this workflow with CS6. All simple video cuts/inserts & sound sync/tuning done on PP timeline. Import from AA. All effects/texts done in AE. Film locked. Export to ProRes4444 file. Then all color grading done in SP. If film gets unlocked, newly exported file can replace the old one in SP while keeping all color grading layers info.

• I'll say it again, "Being a good filmmaker means you have to make decisions whether it be on set or in post. Great filmmakers make great choices."

@stonebat I never want to lose the EDL info because I don't want to have to do further editing. And to get separate clips in AE, Resolve, etc, you need the EDL. No. what I mean is; you are done futzing with the cuts. The film is done, locked, no more editing, moving on to grading, FX, sound, score, etc. decide and deliver.

I realize that for many of you, this is a foreign concept. We are used to doing everything in one program. Maybe we'll bring in elements created in another program, send certain shots to AE or Motion for FX and such, but always finishing in our NLE, rendering it out, and calling it finished. And for most tiny projects, this works. But feature films and television, the standards by which we usually measure our work, are not produced this way. In fact until FCPX, FCP had a 10bit max limit for rendering, but mostly it was 8bit. "Hello, color banding." I would always finish in AE just for that reason. But now current NLEs have 32bit capabilities, so it's not that big of an issue in that regard, unless you are still using FCP7.

Most people, and I was one of them too until I started doing it professionally, who work in a NLE environment think that a visual piece should always be fluid... and they tinker with it endlessly. Which is why most indies take forever to finish, they just keep getting tinkered with, and some just go away, and are never finished. You have to decide. AND Finish...

Finishing is the hard part. With my film "Singularity", I agonized over whether or not to say, "It's good enough. Not perfect, but good enough given my resources." After consulting with many of my filmmaking friends, I had to just call it: time of death, September 10th 2010, and submit it to the world. We had film lock on it for over a year (2009), but I was unhappy with the VFX. So I and the VFX team kept tinkering. Was I happy with the delivered film? No. Would I have liked to spend another 6 months to a year making that one final FX shot I wasn't happy with perfect, and reshoot a couple of moments I feel didn't really work? Yes. But it had to be finished. And it did what I wanted it to do - it showed people I could direct one hell of a movie, won some awards, it gets me invited to movie premieres, gets me meetings at the studios, TV work, etc. It was a very productive $1500 investment. One that would still be sitting on my hard drive if I didn't decide that for the budget, it was as good as it was going get, and release it into the wild. Move on to the next project. Learn from my mistakes, and move forward.

I've adopted the "hollywood workflow" if you want to call it that, because it produces better results. I suggest you do the same if you ever plan on working in production as a career, so that it will become familiar to you. Or if you just want to get better results than you are getting just working in an NLE alone.

• You meant... exporting to a file for further color grading where EDL info is lost?

• @tonalt Film Lock = The edit is locked - no more changes.. time to finish and deliver.

• @tonalt I believe he is referring do that you should have the edited cut and locked. You want to have the edit finalized before you start color grading. Otherwise you may have to go in several times to redo the grading as the edit changes. So first edit and finalize the edit, then color. I believe thats what he meant, if not, please do correct @shain

• @shian what is film lock?

• @radikalfilm That's up to you. I know for me. Even in the indie world, most composers, sound mixers, and VFX artists won't even touch a film until it's locked. So I've just accepted it, and gotten in the habit of locking the edit first. It's not hard. It's really not. I'll let you in on a little secret. The color correction tools in your NLE are not there for finishing. They are there so that rough cuts, etc, don't look like they came straight out of the can. Most producers hate looking at raw looking footage. So the CC tools in your NLE are there to give you a rough sense of what the finished product will look like, and then everything is removed upon lock, and the project moves onto the next stage.

I ALWAYS work scene by scene. (audio and video as well) That way if I have to go back, unlock the edit and make changes, I can and it only effects that scene and the transitions between the one that came before and the one after.

Being a good filmmaker means being good at making decisions, and living with them afterwards.

• "My workflow consists of the following (All Pro level Film workflows are similar)

1) Edit in an NLE. ----GET FILM LOCK!---- (can't stress this enough)"

...Number 1) I'm having difficulty with, especially for feature length. I think a (budget) workflow should allow editorial round-tripping for both grading and sound. Flame Premium has this tight iteration going, but it's not for mortals... I guess the alternative is to break down the project in 9-10 sub-projects and get Picture Lock on those as they happen.

• Little project for school. Graded with CGT. Shot and edited in a day.

• @RRRR GHrainKiller and Glow

@Sanzadez directly above, always. You want to clean your footage before you start bending it out of shape.

• @shian Quick question.. would any of your ghears work as a diffuser / or how would you suggest I go about it to make a hazy (non-flat) look? Maybe it's something that is covered in a tutorial in which case I'll be glad to watch it.. I've been using MBLooks for this kind of thing before but I would like to try it out in AE if possible /if it can yield better results.

• There seems tigher integration between SG CS6 and PP CS6 where AE CS6 can use only .Look files already created by SG CS6. I can't expect SG CS6 to create a mask with tracking. Let's wait and see.

• @Shain No need to qualify yourself here. I was pretty upset with the things that were said too as it was pretty much said you did not know what you were doing. All of us in this thread know that you know what you are talking about. What bugged me most was like you said, opinions were given, but they weren't presented as opinions, they were presented as facts without evidence. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate the work you put into Color GHear and the work you put in to the tutorials, I have learned so much from them.

Okay, back to the original topic. The GHrain killer tutorial helped out A LOT!! I do have one question though. When applying it to an adjustment layer, should I apply it to the layer directly above the source, or is it just a matter of personal preference as with the other layers??

• And to address my outburst in the Quantum X thread:

The internet forum is a great place for new and different ideas to be shared. I LOVE that about forums.

BUT what irritates me is that invariably someone without any qualifications, or any solid scientific data (by that I mean: tested, retested, verifiable and reproducible data to present) will choose to lay out a theory as fact. If someone says I have a theory about this. Hey that's great, but when someone throws out a mere theory, and declares it a fact, with little or nothing to back it up, and then tells someone who is qualified to make declarative statements, with sufficient data to back it up, and years of experience working at the highest levels of the field that they don't know what they're saying, and begins trying to torpedo other people's work (namely rarevision) I get really fucking pissed.

Why, you may ask, would I care? Because it causes confusion. People come here for information and solutions, and in many cases they spend money on equipment and software based on the experiences of those participating in the forums, some who have proven to be trusted sources, and others who just want everyone to think they're the shit. You won't see me commenting a lot about the ins and outs of the patches, I barely understand how they work, but when it comes to Cinematography and Grading I really do know what I'm talking about. You don't survive in this town unless you can hang.

It's really kinda petty on my part that I have had to repeatedly qualify myself around here. I don't like tooting my own horn. I like teaching. But I can't sit by idly while the un-intelligencia undermine what has been, and can be, an extremely valuable resource by polluting it with dumbass opinions.

And then people get upset. They stand up and say, "I have every right to state my opinion, and you have to respect my opinion!" No, the fuck, I dont! I have to VALUE your FACTS, undeniable facts HAVE to be valued. Your opinion, especially if it's retarded, can fuck the hell off.

That's my professional opinion on the subject -- :)

• To be as concise as possible on the subject:

My workflow consists of the following (All Pro level film workflows are similar. Keep in mind, most 35mm feature films HAVE a Digital Intermediate that consists of DPX sequences. So the workflow was established using a model that had separate audio from video.)

1) Edit in an NLE. ----GET FILM LOCK!---- (can't stress this enough)

2) Export to Soundtrack Pro (or) OMF to Pro Tools or Logic (or whatever) for final sound mixing/editing. (If doing music video type work, this isn't necessary, just skip to step 8 for audio)

3) Export Edit via XML, AAF, or EDL to AE/Davinci/SpeedGrade/Baselight for grading

4) Grade

5) I do all my titles and graphics in AE, so that's never a problem. BUT if they're created in Motion, or in your NLE, export them in a format with an alpha channel for compositing. (Quicktime Animation with Alpha, PNG sequence, TGA sequence, etc.)

6) If titles and graphics not done in AE, composite titles and graphics onto Graded Narrative in AE.

7) Export final narrative video track with Grades and composites to ProRes 444 or DNxHD 444 file.

8) Export sound mix as wav or aif file. (or in the case of surround, multiple files, or ac3 file)

9) Marry sound to video either in NLE with 32bit processing, or in Quicktime Pro (which just connects them with a wrapper. QT PRO users can hit "save" and skip to step 11 because all QT will do is weld them together with no loss.)

10) Export final product to high data rate 444 codec.

11) Using final product - make DVDs, Blurays, web videos, etc. (replace stereo audio with Dolby ac3 where appropriate)

Adopt this, and thrive.

• haha nice whitepaper @shian you could change speedgrade to colorghears and have a exact description. thanks again really honestly you have a very kind human nature!

• Appreciate that, I only offer my advice/opinions to help. One thing I think we can all agree on is that Color Ghear is awesome , regardless.

• @No_SuRReNDer Yeah, it does take a tole as both need to be open, but its not too bad for me. And I do try to do it as little as possible. As for point #3, I only done it after I have already edited everything as I want, so that I don't have to work with it too much in Premiere after I grade the clips. First I cut everything together, and then link and color. As for the degradation, I haven't really seen any noticeable difference. There was a post though by @bwhitz on page 8 I believe of the Driftwood thread that showed "degradation" under some circumstances. So it just got me thinking maybe from now on I should finish in AE all the time. About the bickering, don't worry, I am one of the people that enjoys a clean thread and feels all that bickering should be taken else where.

EDIT: The post bwhitz made was about 5DtoRGB vs Premiere, so exporting out of AE rather than PP may or may not make a difference, have yet to test.

• Yeah but the issue with DYNAMIC LINKING ...is this 1 This method will precomp everything in PP if you select several clips- so do "save as" first if you do this... (Which I didnt which Is why Im stuck with my archaic method...)

2 Kiss your RAM goodbye...BOTH PP and AE have to be open to do this.... 3 PP is PAINFUL to work with after you grade the clips

IN MY OPINION>>>> ..If you understand compression and choose proper settings in Media Encoder upon export you will NOT have "degradation" that's noticeably different from exporting via After effects.

Note this is my opinion and doesn't constitute internet bickering...

• What I have been doing when I do need to use transitions as such, I link the clips in PP to AE. You can right click the clip in PP and select "replace with AE file" or something like that. Then color grade in AE and it would link to the PP timeline. For the most part I don't have to do this because I don't use dissolves often, as far as titles go, I just create them in AE and use them there. When using the above method I used to just export out of PP but after a post in the Driftwood thread, it showed some degradation when exporting from PP, so I don't plan on exporting out of PP anymore. If you have any advice @shain we would love to hear it. But as you said, you don't use premiere so I wont hound you for a fix. Another way to fix the dissolves may be to do them manually with key-frames and opacity rather than just applying a cross dissolve effect. Not sure if that would work as I haven't tried it, but just came to mind right now.

• This issue applies to pushes and other transitions of that sort...I had some in my title sequence and discovered this myself. Now TYPICALLY unless your making Oceans 14, or a Star Wars knockoff you wont have allot of non-disolve types of transitions but still this is a tricky issue. My current work around, albiet archaic is I am grading all the clips and sending them back to PP as Prores 444 Linear off Quick times. I left the titles(I built in Motion) In PP deleted the original edit and am re-building with the graded shots...

• @AlexManta @sanzadez @shian I wonder if you could do all of your grading in AE. Then from AE choose save as PP project...open in PP and just re-do all the transitions... haven't tried that but I think it may work. You would then just be rendering out your final file Via PP and Media Encoder ... Shian? Thoughts on this?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions