Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @johnnym: TYVM Johnny. I should look at LOTR more closely. I was just testing and wanting the footage to be more 'Cinematic'. I hate it when people say the GH2 is not 'cinematic' while the MkII is. I take it as a challenge. But, anyway, i'm closer to where i'm going. Will be going into the desert soon and will try to get LOTR brown. ;) The Punch presets are really awesome to help get that 'popped' look. http://photos.jamesthorpe.com/Other/Footage/22390839_mFrnGc#!i=1789818722&k=JdSp6Zf&lb=1&s=A

• @islanders66 Sure Islanders66 i didn't mean to be rude or anything, it's just that i tried your way before but it seems my computer isn't good enough for so much processing, it's lagging all the time.

@shian Thanks Man.

• New Tutorial on creating film stocks is now live on the site.

• Thanks Shian...I love Twilight.

• @AlexManta, no worries. I didn't take your comments as rude, I hope I didn't come across as rude either. This was my first two projects in AFX. I was pleased to find an effective workflow, and wanted to share it, but at the end remembered that my recent DIY PC build was probably faster than what most people use right now. I use both Macs and PC, and glad I went out on a limb and built my own PC. Not to get off topic, but I haven't had any kind of problem in the first year, not one crash, nothing.

• Wedding graded in ColorGHears! Just a trailer, longer bit to come.

• @artiswar Dude, this looks awesome!!! Great job!!

• @shian - Thanks! Huge assest, your tools. Very excited on the fledgling career.

• Did you shoot nostalgic on this?

• Most of it was Nostalgic. There were a few shots outside that we adjusted for the brightness by switching to Cinema (New Lomo lenses without step rings for my ND filter). All of this was mainly graded with Levels and Curves. Then mixing the opacity of the Minus Red, Minus Green, and Simply Cooler gears. Along with some Spectral Enhancer mixed in.

• @Shian Where did you see the GH2 for $599?

• I presume there's something special about the way AE handles color grading. It preserves details well.

• @stonebat - Compared to? It's the 32bit floating color space. I started grading the video above accidentally in 8 bit color space and it looked AWFUL. Switched and I was a happy man.

@franklee - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736343-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH2K_Lumix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html

$699 here. It was $599, but maybe I just missed the linked.

• @franklee it was $599 last week at B&H

• @artiswar @shian Thanx. Timing is everything.

• My short that we wrote, shot, edited and delivered this past weekend. It's a bit rough in places (green screen matte, sound edit) due to being under the gun to get it all done in 48 hours as per the competition rules. I got 1 hour sleep all weekend.

@shian even though I'm not using ColorGHear to its greatest extent, I can't begin to thank you enough for the knowledge that you have shared and provided.

The short was graded using a mixture of your 3-way, levels, spectral enhancer and steel dirt. I decided not to use GHrain Killer as I was worried about render times with it being a 48 hour challenge.

The green cast in the skin tones on the spaceship were meant by the way (simulating computer vdu incident light). I pulled most of the green out (using magenta on the 3-way GHear) except the reflections on the faces.

Steel dirt worked brilliantly on the planet scene, where I was able to key frame the change from happy spectral enhancer to grim atmosphere destruction. Mixed with a bit of gamma in the levels, and I got my really dark feel but with detail look that I was after.

All this was achievable in seconds using the GHears, and was completely controllable at the adjustment layer level. I can't recommend this approach any more highly. Compared to pre-canned settings that are really inflexible, ColorGHear gives you rapid flexibility and really high quality. So so pleased as you might be able to gather.

• @itimjim Thanks, mate. But as I've been saying, if it makes you happy, spread the good word throughout the 'verse (as a Joss Whedon character might say) post on msg boards, youtube, vimeo, creative cow... everywhere that might be relevant and useful to others.

When I do it, it just seems like self-promotion, even if it might actually help someone, it just sounds like a sales pitch.

In other words, thank you, and you're welcome. But don't tell me, tell the world. I know CGT is awesome, I've been using some form of it for 6 years. But there's thousands of indie shooters out there paying too much for too little. Clue them in to the "Big Wow".

Go forth, my faithful GHearHeads, and let the world in on the secret: Awesome color grading doesn't have to be a big mystery, or cost a small fortune. ColorGHear will unleash the full potential of your footage.

• I made sure I gave you, Nick and Vitaley a mention in the comments of the post. But yes, I'm an evangelist and will be writing about your system on our blog in the near future.

• @artiswar prolly you might be right. 32 bit magic :)

• Nothing but candid. ColorGHear made a huge difference. Thanks @shian. A hacked GH2 took all shots at home. A hacked GF3 took the rest. No rig. Just GF3 on a neck strap. Yes ColorGHear Toolkit (CGT) works nice with GF3. Perhaps CGT gotta expand the customer base to GF2/GF3/GX1/G3?

• New Tutorial is live - Tinkering with Toner, Spectral Enhancer, Steel Dirt, ColorFist, and secondary color correction with Color Finesse.

@stonebat looks great! Very filmic. Looks almost like a commercial.

• @stonebat That's TOTALLY fab!!! I absolutely love it.

• Thanks @shian and @Mark_the_Harp. Color grading is fun (^o^) <---super excited emoticon

• You can tell you were having fun - those are absolutely beautiful images.

• Cheers @Shian!

The money I spent on ColorGHear must have been female. It's breeding non-stop. :) Thanks!!!

I don't know about others as they are probably much more experienced than me and I'm loving every bit of your tutorials, but do you know what I'm missing the most? A kick start! An end to end example for starters like me who are still lost on how to approach the full workflow...

I've got plenty of doubt's floating around. What to tackle first? This one I know, 5DtoRGB but from then on I don't know if I should edit/mix the footage first and grade afterwards, how to get a quick preview at the results, when in the workflow to keyframe, in which layer order to apply the GHears when grading, some kind of high level orientation with little detail so I know how the BIG pieces fit.

Thanks again!

(edit) My birthday is coming in a few weeks, and I was thinking about asking the wife for the Samyang 7.5mm F/3.5 Fisheye as I don't own anything wider the the kit 14-42mm. Do you think I should ask for a short course on AE instead?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions