Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • There seems tigher integration between SG CS6 and PP CS6 where AE CS6 can use only .Look files already created by SG CS6. I can't expect SG CS6 to create a mask with tracking. Let's wait and see.

• @shian Quick question.. would any of your ghears work as a diffuser / or how would you suggest I go about it to make a hazy (non-flat) look? Maybe it's something that is covered in a tutorial in which case I'll be glad to watch it.. I've been using MBLooks for this kind of thing before but I would like to try it out in AE if possible /if it can yield better results.

• @RRRR GHrainKiller and Glow

@Sanzadez directly above, always. You want to clean your footage before you start bending it out of shape.

• Little project for school. Graded with CGT. Shot and edited in a day.

• "My workflow consists of the following (All Pro level Film workflows are similar)

1) Edit in an NLE. ----GET FILM LOCK!---- (can't stress this enough)"

...Number 1) I'm having difficulty with, especially for feature length. I think a (budget) workflow should allow editorial round-tripping for both grading and sound. Flame Premium has this tight iteration going, but it's not for mortals... I guess the alternative is to break down the project in 9-10 sub-projects and get Picture Lock on those as they happen.

• @radikalfilm That's up to you. I know for me. Even in the indie world, most composers, sound mixers, and VFX artists won't even touch a film until it's locked. So I've just accepted it, and gotten in the habit of locking the edit first. It's not hard. It's really not. I'll let you in on a little secret. The color correction tools in your NLE are not there for finishing. They are there so that rough cuts, etc, don't look like they came straight out of the can. Most producers hate looking at raw looking footage. So the CC tools in your NLE are there to give you a rough sense of what the finished product will look like, and then everything is removed upon lock, and the project moves onto the next stage.

I ALWAYS work scene by scene. (audio and video as well) That way if I have to go back, unlock the edit and make changes, I can and it only effects that scene and the transitions between the one that came before and the one after.

Being a good filmmaker means being good at making decisions, and living with them afterwards.

• @shian what is film lock?

• @tonalt I believe he is referring do that you should have the edited cut and locked. You want to have the edit finalized before you start color grading. Otherwise you may have to go in several times to redo the grading as the edit changes. So first edit and finalize the edit, then color. I believe thats what he meant, if not, please do correct @shain

• @tonalt Film Lock = The edit is locked - no more changes.. time to finish and deliver.

• You meant... exporting to a file for further color grading where EDL info is lost?

• I'll say it again, "Being a good filmmaker means you have to make decisions whether it be on set or in post. Great filmmakers make great choices."

@stonebat I never want to lose the EDL info because I don't want to have to do further editing. And to get separate clips in AE, Resolve, etc, you need the EDL. No. what I mean is; you are done futzing with the cuts. The film is done, locked, no more editing, moving on to grading, FX, sound, score, etc. decide and deliver.

I realize that for many of you, this is a foreign concept. We are used to doing everything in one program. Maybe we'll bring in elements created in another program, send certain shots to AE or Motion for FX and such, but always finishing in our NLE, rendering it out, and calling it finished. And for most tiny projects, this works. But feature films and television, the standards by which we usually measure our work, are not produced this way. In fact until FCPX, FCP had a 10bit max limit for rendering, but mostly it was 8bit. "Hello, color banding." I would always finish in AE just for that reason. But now current NLEs have 32bit capabilities, so it's not that big of an issue in that regard, unless you are still using FCP7.

Most people, and I was one of them too until I started doing it professionally, who work in a NLE environment think that a visual piece should always be fluid... and they tinker with it endlessly. Which is why most indies take forever to finish, they just keep getting tinkered with, and some just go away, and are never finished. You have to decide. AND Finish...

Finishing is the hard part. With my film "Singularity", I agonized over whether or not to say, "It's good enough. Not perfect, but good enough given my resources." After consulting with many of my filmmaking friends, I had to just call it: time of death, September 10th 2010, and submit it to the world. We had film lock on it for over a year (2009), but I was unhappy with the VFX. So I and the VFX team kept tinkering. Was I happy with the delivered film? No. Would I have liked to spend another 6 months to a year making that one final FX shot I wasn't happy with perfect, and reshoot a couple of moments I feel didn't really work? Yes. But it had to be finished. And it did what I wanted it to do - it showed people I could direct one hell of a movie, won some awards, it gets me invited to movie premieres, gets me meetings at the studios, TV work, etc. It was a very productive $1500 investment. One that would still be sitting on my hard drive if I didn't decide that for the budget, it was as good as it was going get, and release it into the wild. Move on to the next project. Learn from my mistakes, and move forward.

I've adopted the "hollywood workflow" if you want to call it that, because it produces better results. I suggest you do the same if you ever plan on working in production as a career, so that it will become familiar to you. Or if you just want to get better results than you are getting just working in an NLE alone.

• It seems a good idea about editing decisively. I'm thinking this workflow with CS6. All simple video cuts/inserts & sound sync/tuning done on PP timeline. Import from AA. All effects/texts done in AE. Film locked. Export to ProRes4444 file. Then all color grading done in SP. If film gets unlocked, newly exported file can replace the old one in SP while keeping all color grading layers info.

• @Shian I dont know if its apparent...But I often wish I could have someone like say..Roger Deakins as my mentor.........but I realize now that no... I would rather learn from someone like you. This is 2012...you are on the CUTTING EDGE of an era where a $700 camera can shoot a feature that looks damn well good enough to pass on the big screen to most viewers.YOU have the REAL WORLD knowledge based on experience... and you have a passion and tenacity about cinema and sharing what you know and continue to learn with others. In 15 years people may be talking about YOU the way they do Ridley Scott and will say this I for one respect you sir...and if I could choose an Obi-Wan in my life as a filmmaker... right now I would choose you. If other people on the forums don't want to heed your wisdom.....f-ck them. -

• @shian Quick question, I'm in an odd predicament.

I'm shooting a 5 minute short over Saturday and Sunday this weekend as part of the Sci-Fi London 48hr Film Challenge. At Noon tomorrow (well, today now) we are given a title, a prop that we need to include and a line of dialog. We need to then write a script, plan photography, shoot, edit, effects, grade and deliver - by 12 noon Monday morning. We're not planning on sleeping.

One thing that is making me a bit nervous is the unknown quantity of render times. What I'd like to do is is edit, grade and FX the first night, and then add the second day's shoot the night after. I'm just a bit worried that we end up with a 5 minute EDL to grade, FX and render out with only 8 hours to go, and it decides it's going to take 12.

Any ideas on how to tackle something unique like this?

• @itimjim I'm not a religious man, but....prayer???

I have stayed away from such contests myself, only because I think they're a waste of time and energy, and a scam to make money perpetrated by the contest runners. I've never seen anything good come of one. I'm sure someone will point to somebody who won one and got a movie deal out of it...but I've never seen it happen.

• post removed

• @itimjim As a time saver.... would just do CC/Grade in the NLE--- I used to create grades in FCP by duplicating clips on layers and using one as an adjustment layer by stacking the clips on top of each other use the 3 way CC and different blend modes....thats how I did these -- ITS QUICK no huge render wait....then export a H264 QT with proper settings....usually they have something on the info sheet...

I think this a really QUICK way to basically do a similar thing to the AE method. Try it you may be surprised by the results....I dont know what NLE you are using but the concept is the same.

• @No_SuRReNDeR Thanks dude...very flattering, but I wouldn't throw me in with that lot just yet. Just tired of seeing good stories, told well, but getting swept under the rug due to poor production value that could have been had on the cheap, if only one knew where to look.

• @shian Ok, first of all it seems like my stupid question, where i thought I was a total dummy is a problem for everyone trying to use PP CS5.5 with AE without dynamic link and/or Bridge...From now on i will work the way you suggested. It's actually how i work as a sfx designer/music composer. It makes every stage more decisive but at least i feel like i'm moving forward doing this and can concentrate on every step fully.

Now about your knowledge and professionalism, i have to say that I'm actually amazed by how much you know about color grading, contrasts, compression etc....You're like a scientist/artist which is fu..ing rare in this world in my opinion. I know down to earth scientist and crazy artists, but both??? Maybe Jesus Christ??? :D

So please keep on giving us these amazing tips and tutorials on ColorGHear.com.

Now I just have one question...let's say i do my whole Editing in PP that i import the sound in it too, mixed in Logic. Can i export it in uncompressed animation fullHD and grade it finally in after effects without losing too much quality to finally do the 444 linear off???

I'd rather do it like this because my cuts are really really detailed and i love to use film and cross dissolve as a part of the flow of my narration..I can't imagine doing this after like @islanders66 is suggesting...and doing this kind of editing in after effects doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

So I know you use FCP but do you think importing a full HD uncompressed .mov in after effects would be good enough for HD TV channels which is the media we are aiming for? Or do you have another compression setting possible??

• The work flow I shared is just one alternative of Adobe round tripping. One advantage of their software. It works for me, so thought it might work for someone else. The concept is to share and test different workflows to find out which one is right for your project. If you don't have any workflow to After Effects than you should also put in some effort to research, watch basic tutorials that are free, and try them out. And if you have something that works and you want to share it with detailed instructions, that would be generous.

• @AlexManta You can do it that way, or if you are only dissolving occasionally and not every time, you can do the same thing with the dissolves as you would with titles. Put all the dissolve transitions and their respective clips on their own layer, turn everything else off, and export them with alpha channel holes (Animation, PNG, TGA), and then that way you can bring that layer into AE and not have to worry so much about having to break up the master file into individual clips - which is a pain in the ass, I did it for years before Automatic Duck, and editing in AE is mind numbingly slow. In fact this workflow was what I did for everything before AD, but I sacrificed the time to get the quality.

So in short:

Move all dissolving layers onto own track. Turn them off, and Save PP proj.

Import PP proj into AE.

From PP, export just the dissolving clips with their respective dissolves with straight cut clips turned off into a file with an alpha channel.

Bring that exported file into AE and lay it in over the top of your timeline.

Grade accordingly.

OR for more accurate grading results, and zero loss of quality:

Learn to keyframe your opacities on clips in AE. AE should layer the clips the way they were dissolved in PP, and all you need to do is set an opacity keyframe in the top clip right at the point in the timeline where the lower clip begins, and then drop one in at the end of the first clip and set the value to 0. Boom: dissolve. (This is how I would do it. EDIT: see 2 posts down for tutorial)

• @pvjames omg man, you know how to get LOTR green! Great photography!

• @AlexManta How to do dissolves in AE.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions