Personal View site logo
Zacuto 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' featuring GH2
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • @RatLabProductions

Like all tests, this one couldn't answer all questions. It was meant to replicate a house with window and practical lighting, and to create the shadows and highlights you could expect to see under these conditions, with about a 13-stop range. It involved actors coming and going in a living room, a boom down to a 2-shot in that same room, and an actor stepping in and out of the front door and moving into a darkened area with other talent. The test was not meant to be a trial of raw resolution or color reproduction.

All cameras used the same lighting and were given a one-light grade. The obvious differences, among the better cameras, were seen in shadows and highlights, and you had to look. A separate round allowed each team to light and grade specifically for its camera. This produced greater variation between the samples, but was uncontrolled, so it was impossible to know to what extent differences were attributable solely to lighting and grading.

Much as one would like to make a definitive judgment, you're not likely to be able to do it with this test, careful and well-designed thought it was. At least, I couldn't.

• Can't wait till they release the shootout to view online. Anyone have an expected date?

• @Stray

The test was in February, which would have been too early for Orion? V9b is probably right, and the data rate he mentioned seems to fit.

• @jrd It could mean quantum v9b, or Quantum X (v4b orion). There are probably more with b in there name, but I think 9b is the most likely used.

• @Longjohnsilver

The presenter said "Quantum B", I believe, which isn't quite right? He seemed to think the data rate was 120mbs or 130mbs. I haven't used the Quantums from that period, so wasn't sure exactly which one he was referring to.

• Any news on this?

Would be nice knowing which settings has been used on the GH2.

I read this comment on the shootout:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46398

• The Personal-View guys going to NAB should sign up for the Las Vegas screening on the Zacuto site, they will be interviewing people who go to get their reactions and some will end up in the final documentary -

"Steve Weiss · Chicago, Illinois This page is going to evolve weekly as we work towards completion of the Doc series that Premieres on June 15th 2012. Get to one of the screenings, comment and potentially you will end up in the final documentary."

• Colt Seman using a hacked GH2... enough said!

... you gotta have Brass *alls to have a name like that, and I salute you for not changing your name!

• I wonder what hack they used, what settings, etc.

• Interesting set of cameras. I've enjoyed each one of these shootouts, so no doubt this year's will be even better.