Personal View site logo
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, will you be at NAB

Nope. Too far :-)

• Vitaliy, will you be at NAB? I'd like to meet you. This means I will definitely be buying whatever Panasonic camera is built with your consultancy.

• V would never go corporate.

I am not in corporate. I am looking at the beast's mouth.
    I find it interesting. Intoxicating.

@starstuff

Vitaliy didn't deny it's an April fools joke

It is not fools joke.

• okay, He's yanking us, no way is this not an April Fools Joke. V would never go corporate.

• Congrats @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I'm very excited about these developments. I always wondered what would happen if one of these companies really let the users in the room and listened to specifically what the users wanted and needed. This could finally allow us to get past the frustrating limitations we've had to deal with.

I can only imagine what these cameras will be capable of when fully unleashed. I always wondered just how much better things could get if we could tweak just another notch or 2 rather than only -2!!! I can't tell you how much I hate -2 :)

• "a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be" hahaha. VK, you have us all looking for hints into the BIG joke! This thread is pure fun!! : )

• I see several clues on why this is a joke. Either this or I am paranoid. For once Vitaliy didn't deny it's an April fools joke ;)

• That's all sad news in fact. Because waiting sucks!

I have only one question: what does LSI stand for?

• Sell out! SELL OUT!! ^_^

Seriously, congrats. And if this isn't a joke, Panasonic has finally shown they've embraced the user community in a way no other company has in recent memory.

• @stonebat

This site should focus more on film making topics than crazy hot hack settings

Do not worry. This is the plan. Psss. Just do not tell anyone.

• This site should focus more on film making topics than crazy hot hack settings.

• @brianluce You seem to be unhappy at the possibility of further improvements from generous and hard-working people. Improvements which don't really cost us anything... Vitaliy is not selling out. He (and others) are collaborating with Panasonic. I am excited to see what the future holds.

• At CES, I spoke to representatives of numerous camera companies (all the big names) about releasing a software development kit (SDK) for at least one camera in their line up. I told them while Apple makes a nice smart phone, it is the software developers who have enhanced the iPhone with thousands of apps that make the iPhone successful. Same story for Windows - operating systems are boring without the creativity of 3rd party software developers that add value to the OS. I challenged them to come up with an SDK for a camera so that the software development community could add value to their products and establish their product as the iOS or Windows of the camera world.

Panasonic reps were the only ones I spoke with where at least a few said they liked the idea and would take it up with the corporation. I have no idea if anything ever came of it, of course.

The other companies I spoke said "It will never happen. We will not open up our cameras to 3rd party developers" (at least officially).

I hope that Panasonic's direction includes this and this isn't just April 1st!

• Here's a hint at what Panasonic will be announcing* at NAB:

http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/post/20262239955/new-4k-format

Looks like AVCHD might be end-of-life... :-)

*Note carefully the date of the announcement.

• Big thing wow! Congrats Vitaliy! :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , Funny I stumble across this thread as I am having a White Russian! I raise it to you and your team. Love the work that ALL of you have done.

I really hope this is not a 4/1 kind of thing.

• looks like the glass is full for you, empty for the community you created and lead.

Where did you get all this?

• @Vitaliy I see it differently, looks like the glass is full for you, empty for the community you created and lead.

• @brianluce sounds like the andromeda... haha. tech got bought out. except this is firmware/software/ideas.

No one hears anything about the andromeda and DVX, that could have gone places.

Hey but if we can get more reliable stuff going. You never know.. Im hoping its good news.. if not.. wait for future gear or save money to get better gear.. or better yet. start working with the cam you have, and make some money to buy better gear.

• @brianluce

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
    I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.

• This Panny locking down it's higher end units by buying off the leader of the GH2 hack community. The best way to control the hack is to own the guy who wrote it.

• Congratulations, Vitaly. This sounds not only like great news for us GH2 owners, but also a wonderful opportunity for you, professionally.

If I could add my requests for any new GH2 features, it'd be for a 60fps mode in full HD, and a fix for the ISO bug. I'd be happy with those.

• This is a great news for those who favor moderate settings like @cbrandin's 44Mbps. I really hope VK isn't joking.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Does this mean that on the cameras that you have agreed to be specifically working on (which I assume GH2 is one), that the P-V community's ability to manipulate in a ptools based environment will be taken away in between official firmware releases and that we will be forced into waiting for official firmware releases for every update with no ability to manipulate on our own?

Also will this affect our ability to create / manipulate individual patches on the cameras you are contracted on or will that be part of the new system? I think one of the key features is the ability to choose different patches based on what we are going to be doing. Sorta like changing type of film on old cameras.

Will the official update cycles be released on a similar cycle to what we have seen?

Can you tell us which cameras you are specifically contracted to work on or NDA for that?

• Oh, and offcourse, you can always buy the GH3 which goes "UP TO" 44Mbps on "selected framerates". Or 49mbps would be the best, for all those who hope to get their footage to BBC :)