Personal View site logo
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • @oscillian eyecup... lol

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't know about Japanese or Russion rules, but in Germany, you wouldn't be allowed to publish hacks in private of a Firmware which is "produced" by a company you work for. Well, you could if that company would be ok with it. So, does this mean that there will be no more updates on your hacks, neither on the existing cameras, nor on new ones? Or will the collaboration with Panasonic only affect their firmware and this here, the forum and hacks, still will come to the benefit of us all? (I am asking as I highly doubt that Panasonic will include everything possible to their cam. 1) they could have done before already and didn't 2) they surely don't wan't competitors to their own higher priced products.) So, I'd appreciate if you could tell as a bit more regarding how this collaboration will affect the hacks available for us. Besides that, to your personal success: Congratulations.

• @Jodan

Again. For selected cameras we'll partner and will take part in development. They won't have new "hacks" released, but will have firmware that incorporate much much more. For other cameras all stays the same.

• What about a native 25p 'cinema' mode instead of the HBR-50i container? or can you not discuss yet.

• Congratulations to VK and development team!!

Here's a tribute from the 80'S :

• @Vitaliy Congratulation Vitaliy, this is the proof that good ideas and dedication often succeed. Now, if the firmware 2 for the Gh2 will be something as you said "revolutionary", do you realize that that would means that the gh2 could generating more profit for the company from a product which was considered at the end of production life cycle? Also, firmware 2 "some company will be very upset with their 5000 cameras"... well, the hacked gh2 already outperform any other "under 5k dslr" when it comes to video.

• @Jizzyjones

I will tell only that I can. None of new cameras will write in AVCHD container anymore. None will support interlaced modes. And all will support >2Gb files, no spanning.

• Congratulations to Vitaliy on this stunning achievement! I'm honored to have been invited to participate on the development team and am looking forward to taking part in this historic project.

• @Vitaliy Congratulations indeed! Well deserved. A very interesting development reflecting your and your colleagues hard work, and also the influence of social media on companies (if we include sites as social media)...perhaps this is the future business model, sort of a hybrid between open source and closed proprietary software. Terrific development, and this site is the only reason I sold my Canon gear and replaced it with Panasonic.

• Now, if the firmware 2 for the Gh2 will be something as you said "revolutionary", do you realize that that would means that the gh2 could generating more profit for the company from a product which was considered at the end of production life cycle?

Venus Revolution is code name for new LSI, as well as name for the team who works on it's design and related software libraries. It'll be used in upcoming cameras.

As for GH2. Many people told the same for GH1. Due to new features, new cameras won't be in direct competition to GH2.

• With no interlaced mode, hope that means 60p will be 1080 not 720.

• April fools´day in Russia?

• With no interlaced mode, hope that means 60p will be 1080 not 720.

After NAB 1080p60 will be considered past tense. Can't tell more, sorry.

• Come on guys You believe anything Big Thing is APRIL'S FOOLS

• Well if that doesn't say 120fps or more I don't know what does :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev first of all congratulations and good luck. Could you just clarify one thing please; will YOU be working on "hacks" beyond your agreed involvment with Panasonic, or will that be prohibited by the agreement/contract? I think what most people really want to know is how "open" or "Tweakable" will the new firmwares be? The simple truth is, if Panasonic gave us everything in GH2 tomorrow but without the ability to tweak and push the limits, there is nobody but you I know of to open that up for us. And for the pessimists among us who always assume the worst - what is the duration of your agreement with Panasonic :) April 2nd ? Thank you again for all you have done and creating this community.

• @allenswrench

Copy of my answer above:

For selected cameras we'll partner and will take part in development. They won't have new "hacks" released, but will have firmware that incorporate much much more. For other cameras all stays the same.

what is the duration of your agreement with Panasonic

RIght now till the end of Venus Revolution active life. About 2 years. Do not know anything after it.

• I hope its no joke I hate being made a fool of, even though I am one :)

• Give 'em hell, Vitaliy.

• @Vitaly, thanks a lot for your reply! Again, congratulations to your success!

Now I am sure that I'm going to purchase the GF2 (as it's the most affordable model right now over here) in hopes to get a Firmware directly from Panasonic (due to warranty reasons) which support better video features. (Only decission left to make is if going for the 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 or the 14mm 2.5 bundle... Now that's a tough one. If someone has both of those objectives, feel free to contact me for your advice - I'd appreciate it!)

• Ike! Aprils fools? Got me!

• Hook, line and sinker.

• Congratulations.. My wife keeps saying it is just an april fools joke... At least today really is the end of Panasonics fiscal year.. LOL

http://panasonic.net/ir/annual/2011/pdf/panasonic_ar2011_e03.pdf

• Congrats VK!

• @adamquesada

I am sure that you could prove same thing about management changes date.