Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • @brianluce You seem to be unhappy at the possibility of further improvements from generous and hard-working people. Improvements which don't really cost us anything... Vitaliy is not selling out. He (and others) are collaborating with Panasonic. I am excited to see what the future holds.

• This site should focus more on film making topics than crazy hot hack settings.

• @stonebat

This site should focus more on film making topics than crazy hot hack settings

Do not worry. This is the plan. Psss. Just do not tell anyone.

• Sell out! SELL OUT!! ^_^

Seriously, congrats. And if this isn't a joke, Panasonic has finally shown they've embraced the user community in a way no other company has in recent memory.

• That's all sad news in fact. Because waiting sucks!

I have only one question: what does LSI stand for?

• I see several clues on why this is a joke. Either this or I am paranoid. For once Vitaliy didn't deny it's an April fools joke ;)

• "a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be" hahaha. VK, you have us all looking for hints into the BIG joke! This thread is pure fun!! : )

• Congrats @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I'm very excited about these developments. I always wondered what would happen if one of these companies really let the users in the room and listened to specifically what the users wanted and needed. This could finally allow us to get past the frustrating limitations we've had to deal with.

I can only imagine what these cameras will be capable of when fully unleashed. I always wondered just how much better things could get if we could tweak just another notch or 2 rather than only -2!!! I can't tell you how much I hate -2 :)

• okay, He's yanking us, no way is this not an April Fools Joke. V would never go corporate.

• V would never go corporate.

I am not in corporate. I am looking at the beast's mouth.
    I find it interesting. Intoxicating.

@starstuff

Vitaliy didn't deny it's an April fools joke

It is not fools joke.

• Vitaliy, will you be at NAB? I'd like to meet you. This means I will definitely be buying whatever Panasonic camera is built with your consultancy.

• Vitaliy, will you be at NAB

Nope. Too far :-)

• @stonebat I agree. Lets make personal-view the Peoples Democratic Filmmaking Movement

• Back on topic, How does the new Venus Revolution processor compare with the Nikon EXPEED 3-series image processor, or the Canon's DIGIC 5+ Image Processor?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev After NAB 1080p60 will be considered past tense. Can't tell more, sorry

That one is scary. Because I know the big problem going 1080p60 or higher creates a lot of heat in the sensor. Also bandwidth goes way up unless Panasonic uses better (larger/faster) ram cache and a way to write higher bitrate to SD cards.

With Sony and JVC coming out with sub $10k 4k camcorders, and Canon's promised 4K DSLR, I can imagine we aren't more than 12 months from hearing Panasonic's 4K roadmap.

• Congratulations Vitaliy and the whole team. The fact that PANASONIC recognize the hard work all of you have been doing is encouraging, as also the fact that one of the "bigs" listen to the users, even if is only for their own benefit.

The EOL of "Interlaced scanning" is a great new, and getting out of the AVCHD could be so.

If was a wish list (one wish per user), mine would be "FULL RANGE VIDEO" (the only thing I envy from the Canon).

Congratulations again.

• Awesome and Congratulations Vitaliy and crew!

• A lot of people live in lala land, knowing how big companies operarate, partnership is just another way to control the one that is uncontrollable. Please, do not get me wrong. I'm happy for VK and his team to achieve this but time will tell how much the regular Joe (the community) will lose or gain. It is not an easy thing to judge and everyone involved will say things like it will be better not worst. Let me ask you this what was wrong with the way (hacks etc) things were going until now?

• @VK

It would be nice if you could end this "acquisition @ distribution resolution" thing. The whole industry has tied us down to this single 16:9 "HD" ratio during acquisition / capture, what for? 720 or 1080 are FINAL DISTRIBUTION formats, that's it! It's just like A4 paper! Imagine if photographers were told they could only shoot photos in say VGA, SVGA, or WUXGA, regardless of sensor resolution / aspect ratio, and shut up!

We need the freedom to capture footage at any resolution and/or aspect ratio we want (within certain pre-accepted limits of course, say 2k total resolution). If I want to capture at 1920x800 (2.4:1), let me do that! I also like to use 1440x720 (2:1) often in my videos, but I am forced to use workarounds... Why can't I capture at 1440x720 if I want to? This is 2012!

Then if we want / need to later format it to 480p, 720p or 1080p we can do it ourselves, thank you very much...

VK, if you could free us from this stupidity, then you'd be truly changing the game!

• It's so incredible to know that there will be a group of 'us' on the inside influencing all the features that we want right out of the box. If it wasn't for my stills needs, i would definitely put off buying a D800.

• @VK Congrats! The NAB it´s only in two weeks, so we will know more. Firmware v2 sounds like another BT! None of new cameras will write in AVCHD container anymore, Yeehaaa! The end of editing problems!!

• I think we all have great respect for VK and Crew. This respect has been fortified not only through the tremendous coordination of this forum, but also by surpassing all out expectations time and time again for bringing us the ability to do things with this camera that surpass what others thought impossible. I wish we all lived close enough so that we could throw a celebration party. I can't think of anybody else I would rather have on "the inside" than Mister VK. As BIG as this news is, I have a feeling we ain't seen nothing yet, otherwise he would not have taken the assignment. I also have tremendous faith that he won't forget about us "little people".

• The supporting comment from cbrandin in the other thread had me really hoping this was real. Too good to be true...

• VK can't say yet, but does anyone else know what will replace AVCHD? Its supported by so much. I can't imagine a consumer electronics company recreating the wheel. Its hardware accelerated with most video cards. Built in to Blue-ray players/Iphones etc. Bandwidth still must be a consideration because larger SD cards are still not that cheap? Wouldn't Adobe, Apple, Microsoft need to support a new codec?

• Congratulations!

• but does anyone else know what will replace AVCHD?

I mean AVCHD as Blue-Ray compatible formal. MTS files, etc.
    H.264 still will be with us for long.