Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • I don't really understand what this news means other than V got a job. What should we expect to change? Does it mean V will have resources to further enable and optimize the GH2? Like uncrippled HDMI?

• Nick is working on few LUT tables and frame scaling for some time already.

I am sure as Lee will recover he'll focus on few audio things. At least this was his suggestions.

• April's fool or not it's good news in any case! Worst case, we lose Vitaly for 2 years, best case an amazing GH3 in fall 2012 or whatever the next "big thing" is (pun intended). If you have your FF glass, it doesn't really matter what camera comes out, when and by whom.

• So is this Panny throwing in the towel and saying "If we can't beat him, join him"? Like a buyout? If so, I can't imagine this is a great thing for the GH2 community. It's effectively the end of the Wild Wild West of turbocharging the GH2. Great for Vitaliy, maybe not so much for the GH2'ers.

• @brianluce +1 (for the most part)... I think the GH2 has hit that point at which the amount of work that has to go into changing the perceived quality is too great for the small changes that in practical situations are becoming negligible or imperceptible. You can download all of the hacks and store them on your computer if you wish to change from hack to hack.. but I think we have gotten to a point where the changes are all very small.

From Seaquake to Sedna I see little change in most practical settings...

NOW if we could get custom picture profiles / profile editor that would be a big change, however with the GH3 around the corner and new 'Venus LSI' i feel more attention is going to be placed in future gear. The GH2 is still a great camera for its buck, and will still be when the next model comes out... lets not forget that.

Vitaliy is hinting at a major change with firmware 2.0.... lets hope that this picture profile change is awesome but that using the 1.1 hacks (sedna, gopzilla) is still possible with the apparent 'awesome' changes to come.... we can only hope...

but if they make us choose between using 1.1 hacks and custom high bitrates/matrices or 2.0 firmware that is unhackable with custom picture profiles and other advanced features (framerates, etc) then some may have issues. Hopefully the 2.0 firmware is hackable and someone is willing to pull the weight of hacking it or at least updating ptools to accomodate if Vitaliy can not contractually hack.

• Hahaha. Congrats. Now I'm starting to get that recent post about chebols and big corporations.

• Now I'm starting to get that recent post about chebols and big corporations

Yep.
    I am looking at the beast's mouth :-)
    It is smart beast. But it is stiil a beast.

• if they make us choose between using 1.1 hacks and custom high bitrates/matrices or 2.0 firmware that is unhackable with custom picture profiles and other advanced features (framerates, etc) then some may have issues

Sometimes you need to loose something to get something.
    It is nature.

• @vitaliy_kiselev as long as the picture quality/bitrate remains high ENOUGH, Im sure I will welcome the changes possible that you guys are planning. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes, as im sure all of us are. Congrats again, we look forward to hearing more.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Will you be at NAB? IF so come see us in our booth :) We use your Ptool and hacks along side our Red Scarlet camera.

• OK, if it is a joke, I think this thread should be sent to Pany! Because this ain't no joke, Pany, EMBRACE the hacks!

• If it's not a joke it is the end of the hacks. Otherwise, in October we will be going between Sedna March version and the FW 2,1 which has 1080p 120fps at 17 Mbps :) Win some lose some...

• Oh, and offcourse, you can always buy the GH3 which goes "UP TO" 44Mbps on "selected framerates". Or 49mbps would be the best, for all those who hope to get their footage to BBC :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Does this mean that on the cameras that you have agreed to be specifically working on (which I assume GH2 is one), that the P-V community's ability to manipulate in a ptools based environment will be taken away in between official firmware releases and that we will be forced into waiting for official firmware releases for every update with no ability to manipulate on our own?

Also will this affect our ability to create / manipulate individual patches on the cameras you are contracted on or will that be part of the new system? I think one of the key features is the ability to choose different patches based on what we are going to be doing. Sorta like changing type of film on old cameras.

Will the official update cycles be released on a similar cycle to what we have seen?

Can you tell us which cameras you are specifically contracted to work on or NDA for that?

• This is a great news for those who favor moderate settings like @cbrandin's 44Mbps. I really hope VK isn't joking.

• Congratulations, Vitaly. This sounds not only like great news for us GH2 owners, but also a wonderful opportunity for you, professionally.

If I could add my requests for any new GH2 features, it'd be for a 60fps mode in full HD, and a fix for the ISO bug. I'd be happy with those.

• This Panny locking down it's higher end units by buying off the leader of the GH2 hack community. The best way to control the hack is to own the guy who wrote it.

• @brianluce

Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
    I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.

• @brianluce sounds like the andromeda... haha. tech got bought out. except this is firmware/software/ideas.

No one hears anything about the andromeda and DVX, that could have gone places.

Hey but if we can get more reliable stuff going. You never know.. Im hoping its good news.. if not.. wait for future gear or save money to get better gear.. or better yet. start working with the cam you have, and make some money to buy better gear.

• @Vitaliy I see it differently, looks like the glass is full for you, empty for the community you created and lead.

• looks like the glass is full for you, empty for the community you created and lead.

Where did you get all this?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , Funny I stumble across this thread as I am having a White Russian! I raise it to you and your team. Love the work that ALL of you have done.

I really hope this is not a 4/1 kind of thing.

• Big thing wow! Congrats Vitaliy! :-)

• Here's a hint at what Panasonic will be announcing* at NAB:

http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/post/20262239955/new-4k-format

Looks like AVCHD might be end-of-life... :-)

*Note carefully the date of the announcement.

• At CES, I spoke to representatives of numerous camera companies (all the big names) about releasing a software development kit (SDK) for at least one camera in their line up. I told them while Apple makes a nice smart phone, it is the software developers who have enhanced the iPhone with thousands of apps that make the iPhone successful. Same story for Windows - operating systems are boring without the creativity of 3rd party software developers that add value to the OS. I challenged them to come up with an SDK for a camera so that the software development community could add value to their products and establish their product as the iOS or Windows of the camera world.

Panasonic reps were the only ones I spoke with where at least a few said they liked the idea and would take it up with the corporation. I have no idea if anything ever came of it, of course.

The other companies I spoke said "It will never happen. We will not open up our cameras to 3rd party developers" (at least officially).

I hope that Panasonic's direction includes this and this isn't just April 1st!