Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood @thepalalias Which is the most lossless format render in vegas for 1080p??? the best one to keep most details in 1080p sedna footage???

• @thepalalias, For the most part I use the 50mm-62mm ND Fader. I use the 82mm one at times if I plan on using the Sigma 20mm. I know the larger faders have a tendency to soften an image slightly, but it's nothing that can't be adjusted for in camera or in post imo.

• @L1N3ARX The issues with faders I have had (like the inexpensive Polaroid 77mm) mainly shows up with extreme wide angle (10mm or wider actual, not equivalent) or extreme telephoto lenses (200mm+ actual, not equivalent). Do you tend to use the fader in conjunction with those or with focal lengths closer to 50mm?

Okay, back to the patches. I am currently shooting some rain with EX SH and EX24H at 1/4000 in Orion and Factory to show the difference to newcomers.

• @Oedipax, thanks for the suggestion, I am yet to try to go mts files directly into FCX, but I am not sure about the conversion the program makes. Also, I am using the batch version of 5dtoRGB, maybe I have to update???

• Driftwoods patches are ment run on fastest cards (Sandisk 30 mb/s at least), anything below won' t work. Posting reports about card speed errors should only be done if using these cards. Had no problems today with sedna A in 24p and 50p on 32gb 30mb/s Sandisk, 80% variable bitrate stopped recording after a few seconds with well known message. Did not test other modes. Outcome is pure juice.

• @Tifose Thanks, yeah I use an ND Fader actually. A lot of people seem to frown on that and prefer stacking expensive ND filters, but the fader has worked fine for me. I just use the cheap neewer brand, it's like $15, and I wouldn't be able to shoot a single video without it haha.

• @L1N3ARX your work is outstanding! can you give me info if your using ND filter ? about to buy one but not sure what brand to buy i have the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L

• @L1N3ARX I like your comment about returning to certain patches without really knowing way (sorry, can't call them settings as it then gets confusing with camera settings). I really love your footage. It looks effortless to watch. Not sure I can explain what I mean, but everything, detail, motion etc, all seems really well balanced and it all just works really well.

• @leejb4, I did indeed. Yeah, I'm gonna do some kind of comparison with Sedna to see exactly what is drawing me to Orion v4b.

• @L1N3ARX Did you shoot that video in 24H? Also, Check out the GOP3ZILLA + Senda Patch it is awesome.

• Some more Orion v4b footage taken yesterday on an island.

• @AlexManta I use a sachtler fsb 8 tripod. SOME of the shots cropped to 2.35 are moved in post within the natural matte areas.. The tripod head i use is very nice.. The big tilt at the end is straight out of camera. Thanks for the comments!

@Mark_the_Harp Thanks appreciated! turned out pretty well. hopefully the actual video/short comes out with similar results.

@Hallvalla Thanks. Hoping for more to come.

• ok. Back to testing quantum x 5c "pictoris".

• @jhero, I'm on a Mac running 1.5.7 of the batch version now, so hopefully that will fix it. These problems were definitely before the latest round of updates.

• thanks @thepalalias I'll take a look around. These threads start to get pretty unwieldy for information. Especially now that there are three separate threads. Plus I think that Driftwoods settings may be too large for my card. Looking for about 40min of video. Guess I'll either have to up my card or try some other settings. I need major help since i'm a noob. Still trying to get the quality I want, feels like it's not there for me. Trying cake 1.2 now.

• @jvalal That is normal for that card with the newer patches. Please see the modifcations others have been using to make the patch work on similar cards in this thread.

• @Oedipax Or, you can use version 1.5.3b + script

• I have a Transcend Extreme Card that's 16gb and I have major problems with the writing to the card. I receive an error every 2 seconds.

• @xavieramelio, I've had that same issue with GH2 -> 5DtoRGB -> CinemaTools. It was using ProRes HQ. I had some 60p shots that wouldn't conform to 23.98 in CinemaTools.

What I ended up doing as a workaround was to take them all into After Effects and conform them to 23.976 there, then export out again as ProRes HQ. Not optimal but it got the job done.

• @rafa So what 5DtoRGB codec are you currently using for FCP instead?

• @Rafa, thank you. I though it was something wrong in that end, because I also transcoded files with the original firmware and they had the same problem...

• @Kihlian, I am not sure of that, my harddrives in the computer and an external one I use with firewire are 7200 rpm, is that sufficient speed?

• @adcockstudios I use several of those, too. A lot of people make modifications to these patches to improve stabilty on the Transcend cards, but my memory from a while back was the Rocket worked fine without them (as did SpanMyBU v1 and it is possible V2 may, too) and so did Sanity 3, of course. Sanity 4 may as well. I never rely on them for the highest performance patches, though. Feel free to check the settings others have used in this thread to make the Transcend cards work with Orion and Sedna.

• Howdy everyone! As there is no 'New User' Topic i thought I could aswell post inhere. Just wanted to thank Driftwood and Vitaly for all their hard word.

Was testing v4d Orion 'Dark Matter v3' today with a Helios 44m/2 and Samyang 35mm/1.4 and WOW, absolutely love the look.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions