Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @woodybrando, Thanks, maybe I am going blind this week, or maybe it is the overcast skies. Did some testing today with scattered clouds and it looks more normal.

@Zaven13, yeah but what about for those with good cards that want the most they can get from them? Plus aren't we just around the corner from REALLY FAST cards?

• @liquidify. I think the past few months have proven that 720p and 1080i are not a good fit for low GOP settings such as GOP (1, 3, 6, etc...). For those low GOPs to have good quality, you need to use high bitrates like 144/72 mb as in most of Driftwood's high quality settings. Those high bitrates while producing good quality, generate a lot of write errors on majority of the class 10 cards. If you try to reduce the FB size and Frame Limits until the write errors go away then you end up with low resolution video that is noisy. In contrast, longer GOPs like the ones used in Sanity (30, 39) allow you to have lower bitrates 44/28 in my case and have very good quality that can be used with majority of the class 10 cards. So by using high quality GOP1 settings (Orion, Sedna) for 24P and longer low bitrate GOPs for 720/1080i, I am having best of both worlds since 24P settings are not as prone to write errors as 720/1080i are.

As far as having favorite settings for different scene selection, that is too much hassle for me specially since you can address those scenarios through selection of an all around hybrid setting combined with various color profiles and post production. Everyone has different taste and it is a subjective thing for me.

• @mee just did the test and there's no gamma shift between sedna and vb2. looks identical till u push them in post. check the vid above actually if anything it looks like sedna is a bit brighter, jump back and forth.

• ok just uploaded the comparison between sedna q1 and the orion remix that zaven just uploaded. I ran standard and dynamic, then standard and dynamic with saturation @ 100 and sharpness @ 100. can't see a difference between the 2 until saturation and sharpness are turned up. then sedna looks like it'll be more flexible in post.

• Is it just me or does everything shoot a little darker in sedna? This is not a critique, just a question, as it seems settings I used with other patches look a few shades darker using sedna. VERY NICE, but darker.

• @zaven13 I'm wondering what is the benefit to having the Sanity 720 over the 720 from Orion 4b? Actually my favorite part of 4b was the 720 settings. Can you tell what differences you see? I must say, I am a big fan of sanity 3.1 considering its excellent bitrate to quality ratio. It has certainly produced some of my favorite images from the GH2 also.

Really people need to start listing patches that are their favorites along with scene selection. Example

FOR low light High detail with low motion, I choose SEDNA a aq1. For low light low noise with moving people I choose...? For Bright light outdoor with high motion - ? For medium light outdoor landscape with good color i choose SEDNA a a20 For great contrast fast 720p footage, I choose Orion 4b For awesome 24p in medium light with low bitrate I choose Sanity 3.1 For all audio so far no one beats thepalalias setting. For All around Stability in all settings with 64g 95mbs with best quality I choose...?

So on and so on. It is certainly becoming difficult to choose, and there are really becoming many "best settings" that apply to different situations. Obviously I haven't answered some of these questions yet. And there are many more questions to ask and to answer. Someone made a chart a long time ago, but it was not maintained. Too bad.

• @zaven13 thx, i'm testing your patch against sedna q1 post it a little later tonight. haven't used v4b yet excited to see what folks are talking about

• @thepalalias. Sanity 3.1. I am not aware of any 4.0 version. Attached is the Orion - Sanity hybrid settings using Orion's matrix with the new audio settings included.

Orion-Sanity hybrid with Orion matrix.zip
    991B
  • @Zaven13 Will you be using Sanity v3.1 or Sanity v4.0?

• For those of you who are fans of Orion v4B. I will create a hybrid setting with Orion for 24p and Sanity for 720p, 1080i60 and HBR but using Orion's CBR matrix instead of Sedna or stock matrix. I will also include the audio setting and post it later tonight. Zaven.

• @thoughts2uk

Some people seem to prefer Orion to Sedna for 720P and some are using Sanity. There is not a consensus.

• @thoughts2uk The GH2 does not offer 1080 60P, so the options are 1080 60i, 1080 40P (for one secon d as stills) or 720P.

The hack has helped motion encoding a lot in several of the patches but it hasn`t changed the upper limits on the frame rates for a given mode.

• Hi there is Sedna A AQ1 the best patch for doing 720p 60fps? Is there any settings out there that does 1080p 60fps. I have some slow motion shots I need to do with twixtor.

• @CraftyClown I'm not as sophisticated as a lot of them here and I do shoot in 720 almost exclusively. I didn't see anything really wrong with the 720 in Sedna but I liked Dark Matrix better.

It may be my imagination because I just started working with it but, Zaven13's hybrid..."Sedna A Q20 for 24P. Sanity with Sedna matrix for 720p60, 1080i60 and HBR. "......looks mighty good in 720 so far. I finally got it to lock up in 720 riding in the car and taking video of the trees on the side. (Card Speed Error).

The 1080 is stunning.

• @Zaven13 I will do mate, I was just trying to see if there was a particular reason people were avoiding Sedna for 720p. I used to frequent these boards a lot, but I've been swamped with work since Xmas and I'm trying to catch up. Amazing how much you can miss in a short space of time.

Being busy is great as I'm my own boss, but sadly it means much of my testing time is limited, so it's handy to get a pointer in the right direction every now and again ;)

• @CraftyClown. The easiest thing to do is to try both and see which one looks better to you.

• Evening fellas. Not been around these parts much lately, so I'm playing catch up.

A lot of people seem to be advising against the Sedna patches for 720p 60fps, suggesting Sanity instead. As a Pal user intending to do a lot of 720p 50fps work, is the advice the same?

@Driftwood Nick, I believe I saw you mentioning you were quite happy with the 720p 50fps results. If this is the case, then I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy with it.

• okay looks like i'll stay away from shooting everything in tungsten to reduce noise. I don't like spending more time in post than i have too.

also sedna a q1 has spanned fine for me on the 95mb/s extreme pro card

• Another shot with the Driftwood Sedna B. 720p50 (played at p25).

Lumix 25mm/1.4 ISO 800/1600. Smooth 4 x -2. On a Sandisk 16/45MB.

• @peternap The reason for stopping at 4 minutes is it's not spanning (Sedna is not a spanning patch). After 4gigs, it not writing a sequential file (spanning) that continues. It may span with the 95mb card though. Hope it goes well! Salud

• @Zavin, I gave it a few tests. The image quality is the best I've tried yet. I couldn't get it to lock up even on the screen of death with that nasty 14-42 lens wide open full zoom and tele ext on at 3200 iso, 1080-24. That's amazing for this 45mb card, It did stop recording just after 4 minutes but it may not with my 95mb card. Thank you and Driftwood!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @Zaven13....Just when I get happy with one, they get better. This thing is faster than a Briary Branch Woman! Thanks, I'll try it today!

• Transcend 64 gig type 10 card.. yesterday had several freezes HBR 25, complete, had to open and reset battery in. Sedna C AQ1.. also write errors couple of times..

• You can merge Cluster with Sedna yourselves, v easy takes a few minutes, nice combo :)

• @feha ...I would love to try out Cluster 2.0+ Sedna ...sounds intriguing..

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions