Personal View site logo
ThrusMT Follow Focus
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • The point is some people have the issue and some don't. What I don't understand is why they can't just test quality control before they send out. That seems strange, don't you think?

• @yoclay

So, how about read posts slightly back?
    Find the total solution and they'll implement it in an instant.
    So, if you really want only adjustable arm and it must be totally secure, and be in same price range, you need to wait.

• The fuss is that if someone pays for a quick release arm, it's because they want one that works. Not a classical fixed arm solution. Two different things. In my case i do not want to deal with baseplate clearance issues in certain configurations. A quick release solution also enables quick flipping without having to remove everything from the rails.

• In this thread there and on several others elsewhere there are people who are describing the same defect withe the swing arm....

It is not defect. It is design flaw.
    And Julie said you that they include free fixed arm for guys who require total guarantee.
    So, I do not understand all the fuss.

• I am speaking about purchases through ebay. I did not know that you still offer this through deals. On ebay it says they do not accept returns. When I spoke with Julie yesterday, she said herself that some customers still had problems with their units, which is why they include an NF1. In this thread there and on several others elsewhere there are people who are describing the same defect withe the swing arm....

• So you are stuck if you get a defective model

WTF is this?
    TrusMT is checking their products and I do not remember single issue with very big number of FF sold via deals.

• i have it, it's awesome

Yeh, well, maybe so but it is not exactly confidence inspiring when I point out the slippage issue mentioned here and they say that they ship with an extra NF1 fixed old style arm, "just in case". No returns either. So you are stuck if you get a defective model. What, they can't check it before they send it out from the factory?

• i have it, it's awesome

• Quick question for NF4 users (especially if you have also used the NF2). Does the fact that the NF4 no longer has a sliding horizontal adjustment plate like on the NF2 make any difference in terms of maneuverability, or is that plate essentially unnecessary in your experience?

Cheers, C

• @jaecjaec

Big thanks for your videos.
    I see that your modification is not latest, they have nice animation on their ebay listings showing small mod to made to the pointer to allow fast conversion to 360 degree rotation.
    About gear - just apply some force :-)
    As for adjustment arm - this is just design flaw.
    Feel free to propose solution.
  • @jaecjaec
    I liked the clear, well-staged shots of the Follow Focus unit in your review. I also had an initial problem with the switchable gear wheel similar to what you found. Both the gear wheel and the metal shaft appear to be machined with a slightly flattened D-shaped cross-section, intended to prevent the wheel from rotating on the shaft. However, the wheel material is compressible enough that it can be forced onto the shaft without aligning it to the D-shaped flat spot on the shaft. If force-fit in this way, the pressure on the wheel from the shaft can make it difficult to remove. I was able to carefully pry the one in my unit loose with a flat-blade screwdriver, without damaging it.
  • My 2 cents:

• Yep, it is known design flaw.
    If you have real solution, make 3D model and you'll get it made :-)
    See out design contest topic.
  • While I think the play of the gearbox is amazing, I have trouble to lock the "swing away" clamp.
    It easily moves from it's locked postiton while operating it, no matter how hard I tighten it.

Does anybody have the same problem or have a good solution for this?
  • I used the Trusmt today on a shoot....great follow focus, very little (almost no) play, easy to take on and off. The hard stops are useful, especially with the infinite focusing NIkon 17-55 that I was using. I see that the tab that the hard stops hit now can be moved up and out of the way, so that the hard stops may spin to infinity. I did encounter the loose lever-arm problem that @LPowell spoke of. I need to look into the lock washer solution. All in all, great FF for the price..
  • got the Trusmt today - haven't shot with it yet, but on a detailed prelim inspection...it is fantastic. I'm glad that I stumbled onto this site and found it, as I was about to buy a redrock blue for $800
  • After seeing the reviews on here, I went and bought a Trusmt NF4 from ebay- I'm very excited to retire the proaim FF that I have been using...and for hard stops
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Can you point me to the link, I am searching and not finding it. Thanks
  • >I had to try three eBay Nikon adapters before I found one that fit the lens tightly:

Yep, they can be different.
    We have a topic about making more tight fit from loose one.
  • @Gabel

The lens mount in the photo above is a Nikon-to-M4/3 adapter, custom-mounted in a tripod collar designed for a Canon telephoto lens. I had to try three eBay Nikon adapters before I found one that fit the lens tightly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180706103905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Fortunately, these adapters are pretty cheap, so I could afford to buy several. At times, shopping for Chinese-built gear reminds me of browsing through a salvage yard...
  • Thanks, that helps a lot!

Oh, how does that mount work out by the way? Like the idea... I have a Kipon, but all I've tried feels a bit... Loose.
  • @Gabel
    I found a photo that shows the lock washers. One lock washer on the same end of each bolt, same side as the lever.
    P1040582.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 2M
  • All right. I think I get it, but if you have the possibility of taking some pics, that would ease things up for me!

Do you mean one end as in one "vertical" end (either the top or bottom, at the gearbox or the mount) or a "horisontal end" (both on the same side of the lever)?