Personal View site logo
ThrusMT Follow Focus
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The bundle deal offers the new Follow Focus NF4 without any lens gears. Do you know if any other vendors' gears can be used with the TrusMT FF?
  • @LPowell
    Nope, not NF4.
    T2, but with new gearbox (same as on NF4).
    Also you can get either with gears or without. See in more detail, please.
  • I see, but I'm wondering if TrusMT is the only source of compatible lens gears?
  • >I see, but I'm wondering if TrusMT is the only source of compatible lens gears?

??
    No, you can use any 0.8 lens gears.
    Plenty of them exist.
  • Nice that they are putting the new gearbox design on the T2 as well
  • I got the set of four lens rings that TrusMT sells, but they each adjust to only a limited range of lens diameters, The two largest sizes are far bigger than any of my lenses and I'll probably not find a use for them. If I need more lens rings, I'll probably try JAG35's D|Gears, each of which can be custom fitted to a wide range of lens sizes:

http://www.dfocussystem.com/gears.php
  • >I got the set of four lens rings that TrusMT sells, but they each adjust to only a limited range of lens diameters, The two largest sizes are far bigger than any of my lenses and I'll probably not find a use for them.

In this case I do not understand previous question.

>If I need more lens rings, I'll probably try JAG35's D|Gears, each of which can be custom fitted to a wide range of lens sizes: http://www.dfocussystem.com/gears.php

They are overpriced and very unhandy (you lens definitely won't like this bolts).
    You can always buy set of select necessary gears from ebay for much cheaper.
    Or buy adjustable universal gears.
  • The zip-tie universal gears I've seen fit snug against the lens focus ring. The problem with that is the gear ratio that determines the rotation range of the FF wheel will then vary with the diameter of each lens. The TrusMT and JAG35 lens gears are designed to produce a consistent gear ratio regardless of the lens size. Anyone know if there are any better solutions available?
  • >They are overpriced and very unhandy (you lens definitely won't like this bolts).

True story. I've only got three lenses, but switching between them is a hassle when using my Jag35 D|Focus and gear. The bolts become a nuisance, having to constantly switch them. I'm a bit nervous they'll wear out!
  • From the looks of it, switching a JAG35 D|Gear between lenses would no doubt be tedious. I assumed they were intended to be permanently installed on each lens?
  • The snap gears are really good no need to fiddle with taking gears on and off
  • @LPowell: Could you please post pictures of what you did with the lock-washers on yours? I'm doing something similar but would love to see some for reference!
  • I don't have any photos, the trick is to find a lock washer with a hole wide enough to fit around the two bolts between the mounting plates. You only need two lock washers on one end of the two bolts.
  • All right. I think I get it, but if you have the possibility of taking some pics, that would ease things up for me!

Do you mean one end as in one "vertical" end (either the top or bottom, at the gearbox or the mount) or a "horisontal end" (both on the same side of the lever)?
  • @Gabel
    I found a photo that shows the lock washers. One lock washer on the same end of each bolt, same side as the lever.
    P1040582.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 2M
  • Thanks, that helps a lot!

Oh, how does that mount work out by the way? Like the idea... I have a Kipon, but all I've tried feels a bit... Loose.
  • @Gabel

The lens mount in the photo above is a Nikon-to-M4/3 adapter, custom-mounted in a tripod collar designed for a Canon telephoto lens. I had to try three eBay Nikon adapters before I found one that fit the lens tightly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180706103905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Fortunately, these adapters are pretty cheap, so I could afford to buy several. At times, shopping for Chinese-built gear reminds me of browsing through a salvage yard...
  • >I had to try three eBay Nikon adapters before I found one that fit the lens tightly:

Yep, they can be different.
    We have a topic about making more tight fit from loose one.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Can you point me to the link, I am searching and not finding it. Thanks
  • After seeing the reviews on here, I went and bought a Trusmt NF4 from ebay- I'm very excited to retire the proaim FF that I have been using...and for hard stops
  • got the Trusmt today - haven't shot with it yet, but on a detailed prelim inspection...it is fantastic. I'm glad that I stumbled onto this site and found it, as I was about to buy a redrock blue for $800
  • I used the Trusmt today on a shoot....great follow focus, very little (almost no) play, easy to take on and off. The hard stops are useful, especially with the infinite focusing NIkon 17-55 that I was using. I see that the tab that the hard stops hit now can be moved up and out of the way, so that the hard stops may spin to infinity. I did encounter the loose lever-arm problem that @LPowell spoke of. I need to look into the lock washer solution. All in all, great FF for the price..