Personal View site logo
Nikon D800 topic
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • Good for Nikon. Finally in the game.

• @ahbleza

I rarely shot that long of a shot. Most of my non AF100 work has been going to either the 5D or F3 lately, so instead of renting these 2 cameras, I figure I can shoot all the AF100 and 5D stuff and some of the F3 stuff with the D800. That means more money in my pocket.

• Dynamic range looks pretty good.

• This looks promising, I feel like it's going to take something with hdmi/sdi OUT to top the GH2. Does the D800 output 422 10 bit? is it full HD? Any number yet?

Looks like hdmi is only 1080i and no audio.

• Full HD 422 8bit.

• any shots of a resolution chart yet? im really curious to know what its truly resolving and how much aliasing and moire to expect.

• The DR on the HDMI looks great in the blacks.

• hmmm looks like AVCHD wins in this test. AVCHD is the one on the bottom of the wipe right?

Too soon to see until we get more tests. It also might be a gama shift issue with the way they encoded it maybe the color profile is deferent when using hdmi out.....

• I remember hearing that DNxHD footage gets the gamma and matrix settings implemented in the edit somehow (it saves the setting while recording), so the footage looks different raw. I don't full understand how it works, but I know it looks different raw or on an NLE that doesn't know how to read it properly.

• Nikon D800 videos is lock so soft :-)

• This thread is a little bit too quiet. It's really so funny how the 5D fanboism is drowning out the D800. So much Nikon footage is popping out right now, and good looking footage at that.

• @last_SHIFT

Agreed. I just sold my AF100 this morning and judging by the footage I've seen, the D800 will probably be the replacement.

• Yes the Canon mob of fanboy and bloggers are in full swing to show to the world the magic behind the 5d mark3. With some magic spell called convolution filter reveals a 2k, no ladies and gentleman, you don't dream... Soon, soooooon with the power of thought you will see a 4k image coming out of it. Detail recreated from thin air by the magic of the fans, yes ladies and gentleman.

My only gripe with the D800 is the aliasing, in some shots it is not visible and others much more visible (not as bad as the Canon). Rolling shutter, resolution and DR seems to be very good. Perhaps the lens or picture setting could be the causing those difference. With time we will see, but it is sad that this camera gets so much less attention than the 5d mark3. With an external recorder it will be clearly much better. The guys of mosaic are said to work on a filter as their no1 priority.

• I did a couple of quick grades with Colorista II on that headshot clip - looks really nice. As to the aliasing and moire, yes I've seen samples where it's there and some where it's not there. All in all, what matters to ME most is that it does not bother me like it did with my 5D2 (which I just sold off).

• It seems that HDMI output only give a interlaced 1080 resolution. If so, would be an authentic bluff Source: Quesabesde: http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/nikon-d800-analisis-video,1_8648

Nikon_D800_analisis_video_26.jpg
    600 x 451 - 59K
  • It is experimentation and seeing 13 stop of DR possible with a flat profile. That would be huge. Such a camera with a mosaic filter would be a killer.

• Some of best footage out of the D800. Very very good and no aliasing in sight except for the 720p image.

• Wow, the D800 looks better every day! The footage is still a tad soft at 1080p... but it's not muddy like the 5DIII. Very nice!

• @paglez, if you want 1080p out of the HDMi you have to remove the SD card from the slot first. It won't do both.

• Ok Rambo. Thanks a lot!

• Another damn gorgeous video from the D800 from the same Nikon presentation. I just hope for the mosaic filter to remove some of the aliasing/moire. The rest is just :-) .

• Jeromy from Atomos confirmed today that the D4 outputs 1080 24p with 3:2 pulldown added, so a 1080 60i signal out of the HDMI; where as the D800 outputs true 1080 24p with no pulldown added.