Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • @EOSHD

Sorry to make this sound like a football game- but "Yes- Yes Yes!". HDMI is one of the most important aspects to this camera... and this was actually something that was working 100% before firmware 1.0! Hopefully the code is still inside the firmware - just deactivated... :-D

I for one am VERY (if not completely) interested in the HDMI aspect of this camera- for me- a fix for this achieves many if not all of the objectives for this project (higher bit rate- quality etc).

Cheers,
    Alex
  • I'd like to see if its possible to hack a new 1.85:1 gridline overlay as an optional choice for the display
  • @EOSHD
    "There is a colour space shift which causes gamma to change in that mode, and of course it is interlaced which is bad for the Ninja. If we can change HDMI sensor mode, it would really help. The gamma change alone is very distracting when gong from live view to record, and it is live view where the exposure is done."

After reading quite a few articles- I think that live view is RGB- then when record is enabled- its YUV- currently the jury is out as to what the HDMI chroma issue is- but there is a massive issue with cadences- with lots of frames just added in to pad the video (in 24p 1080i50). For 1080i50 there is no padding- but the lower field is sometimes written at the same time that the upper one is- thus it jumps around I think about once a second, (don't think it is that regular either). Currently one could just deinterlace the upper field only from the HDMI- and lower field only from the AVCHD- and then just combine the two- but the question is how much you gain depending on how much of a headache you get from doing that! Think that we should make a HDMI & Interlaced discussion board topic... As these are two very important issues.

Cheers.
  • On the HDMI topic, I was wondering if HDCP was not the reason why HDMI monitoring was not working on all HDMI LCDs.
    Vitaliy, did your investigations allow you to know if HDCP is used somehow, or it is still too early (or even impossible) to identify these HDMI stuff ?
  • @Vitaliy, I understand you think it"s not a big deal about those questions about Composite out during video, but I can link to a huge list off forums, with a lot of people around the world who are waiting just for this.. Because the GH2 is the perfect camera for aerial video with Multirotors, because off performance /price/ sensor /and most important weight. (The aternatives like a go-pro we can not use for prof. video.)
    On board we can not have much more adapters, converters, etc. those need power and adds weight again.
    So please, have a look at it, take your time, but if not, it's not. And we all know the answer then.
    Regards, and good luck ! ;) Thanks in advance for looking at it!
  • What are the chanced that the hdmi out cadence problem can be fixed with Ptools?

Love to have the option to use a Atomos Ninja of other ProRes recorder with the Gh2.
  • @Chaos123x

No one can answer you precisely.
    Good thing is that some HDMI related functions names are present is some debug messages as well as their arguments names.
  • @Vitaliy "Good thing is that some HDMI related functions names are present is some debug messages as well as their arguments names."

You have to be having a laugh regarding the "HDMI Debug messages"- considering that there never was a bug until Panny introduced it! :-D
  • If you get the bit rate up on the 24P H setting would we even need prores recorders?
  • @Chaos123x Even at an incredibly high bitrate the AVCHD codec would still compress the image and result in a loss of information. Prores still compresses the image even though it's "theoretically lossless", but having a clean HDMI signal would mean we could record an uncompressed/lossless signal.

The difference may be negligible to some and huge to others.
  • does anyone know if 4:4:4 is possible within the mpeg codec standard?
  • What is it in the GF1 that allows 4:2:2 recording?
  • @sparedog, the sensor isn't capable of 4:4:4 (Google 'Bayer Sensor').
  • @_gl, thanks i have now read up on it and now understand it.
    what do you know about bit depth? in theory, would we be able to get 10bit mjpeg from the sensors?
  • Well GH2 RAW images hold 12bits, so the sensor can do it. But it's unknown if video sensor modes support it (maybe). Apparently MJPEG can support 10bit, but again it depends if the GH2 implementation allows it. Would of course be nice!

EDIT: ... of course then the question is, what software can actually load 10bit MJPEG (without sneakily converting it to 8bit)? Anyone know?
  • @gl

This topic has word improvements and not fantasies for a reason :-)
  • ? I pointed out clearly that it may not be possible for several reasons.
  • @-gl, i use apple compressor to convert to uncompressed 10bit. in compressor, the input/output is true 10 bit, yes?
    but now i've just discovered grading in photoshop cs5 with smart objects, nice.
  • Improvements:
    - 1080p60
    - 720p120
    - 1080p25
    - alot of different framerates (EG. 48(2*24), 72(3*24) for slowmo or 22fps for speedup in action scenes).
    - Overall higherbitrates
    - 4k res
    - 4:2:2 MJPEG
    - 4:3, 1:1.85, 1:2.35 aspect ratio's (if possible with ETC).
    - Lower ISO values
    - Ability to lock the focus while in auto focus
    - Automatic appliance of the 180degree shutter rule
    Thanks!

• @Rangetogethe
    how about 5k 1000fps and the ability to make freddo cappuccino coffee:)
  • 5k and 1000fps are clearly not possible, and you'd know this if you'd read the thread. As for the coffee, you must not own a GH2. Mine makes coffee quite well, and I'm sure I've seen "freddo cappuccino" in a submenu somewhere. Perhaps others can confirm this.
  • @_gl

Isn't the GH2's MJPEG mode 10-bit anyway? Take a look at this video...
    even the source file (raw from the GH2) doesn't show any colour banding issues that plague GH2 AVCHD clips. Take a look at that blurred background...
  • @Matt:

shot bright blue sky, which goes to dark blue sky. I ever saw the bending problems only in this situation.
  • @Angry_c

Then you've not been pixel-peeping properly. ;) Take a look at this video... the colour issues are clearly apparent on the faces when they aren't in focus...

There are no technical reasons why it would only happen on skies... all colour gradients are affected.

If there was some way that Vitaliy could make the MJPEG mode run at different framerates (probably not possible like the GH1?), it would mean that it would be a great mode to film in, because the colours are so much better. Sure you'd loose some resolution only being 720p, but for many people it would be worth it. Either that or a fix for the AVCHD mode's 8-bit compression to dither or something... that's probably not possible either unfortunately. :(
  • I hope that after major improvements someone will concentrate on bringing back the af tracking during video 'cause it is definitely a must if you want to focus with a handheld steadycam with a normal lens.
    I'd like to help testing but the problem is that i've no competences in this field and i don't know what and how to do the tests you need. I think i'll wait when things will be more clear