Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @Rzsanto - thanks for the lovely fast pans! No need to appologize for them. I like them. Super cinematic! Bourne-Ultimatum-style! ;-)

And it shows how beautiful Quantum X and the GH2 behave with fast pans. (This would be a nightmare with any Canon...)

• Man this is so much info to take in at once! I have a music video shoot coming up soon, what of these settings would you recomend as the "safest" one to use with HBR mode and variable mode? Of course I want the best quality I can get but but still don't want it to crash or lock the camera up during the recording! I am using Sandisk Extreme class 10 30 and 45 mb/s cards...

• Tried new span my b.. and had a fail with NTSC HBR but the new V3 gave me perfect HBR with video rate at 78.7, shot my own shrub of death, a air conditioner and shutters that always give moiré and lots of fast pans. Perfect... thank you so much. V3 for NTSC HBR is an unrivaled success.

• @Mark_the_Harp, The more I test Quantum X V4 (Orion) the more I am completely bowled over by it. I would agree that even the awful DSLR jello effect seems to be greatly reduced. A huge congratulations and thanks to all involved.

• Here is a short test for Orion. Graded to correct GH2 black levels (15=0) and with slight contrast curve. I wanted to see how the detail hold up with youtube and I was impressed. 14-140 lens Sandisk Extreme 20mb/s class 6

• And @driftwood Is it my imagination or with Rocket v3 CR, shooting at 24H, rolling shutter seems to be very much reduced? To me, it's starting to look like my CCD cameras for stability of image when panning...

• @driftwood Great work mate, about to test away with the latest patches, got one question do you think Quantum X v4 Orion to be a much better than Quantum X v3 rc patch for image quality

• Here's my latest test with Rocket v2. Aside from a few very minor details, I think this is about the absolute maximum level of quality attainable from the camera (according to my own tastes and likes, that is).

Thanks Driftwood!

• Holy Moly Orion. Amazing work @Driftwood! Coming from QX v2, I can see a massive difference with Orion, and v2 was already awesome to begin with. As I only care about 1080 24H and 720 60P since those are the only modes i use, both are stable and playback in camera. I've tried all kinds of ISO and fast shutter speeds for 60p for slow mo and no hiccups. Havent tested spanning as i never film for that long. I believe this holds the new crown and should be included in the next great camera shootout with zacuto. Thanks vk and driftwood.

Quantum X v4 Orion [64/95 card] M42 Vivitar 28mm f2.5 Lens [Smooth all -2] [1080p 24H] Iso 200 [Splash Pro Frame Grabs-straight off the card]

Quantum X v4 Orion 24H.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 05.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 06.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 07.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 08.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Quantum X v4 Orion 24H 09.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @driftwood Nick, thank you for your great Job. With my poor english I can't explain to you my sense of gratitude for you effort. A little question: I'm very interested in HBR mode, so I would like to know what setting is the best in terms of quality: rocket v3 or orion? Thank you

• The results are very impressive. In fact, GH2 has no limits.

• That sounds about right.. like I said.. slight ineptitude due to over exitement on seeing IQ :)

• @matthere looks like 24L mode on first shot.

• Hi ! Which Sandisk Extreme HD do you recommand ? The 45 MB/S or 95 MB/S ? Thank you for these amazing settings.

• @driftwood Thanks for these screenshots. Looks like SpanMy... is holding up well. Are the clips overall looking good without probs?

They look good, i have under and over exposed, quality stay in post, i am amazed, didn't expect that
    Noise/grain is better then the patches/settings i did use before, that will say the way i like it.
    i will post the video later tonight, i trow all on the same timeline.
    720, 1080, 50, 24, and 30 fps, rendering now to the dnx codec in 720 50fps,

There is only one But....
    I am editing in sony vegas pro 10, and not all the audio is recognized by sony?
    Oké the 300% and 80% was expected, but audio in some 720 shots...

And (this is not a problem), when stopping a record,
    the gh2 needs time to wright to the card
    Sandisk extrem hd video, in that time, i must NOT touch any button, if i do, the next record will fail...
    All takes did play in the gh2, some shots didn't play smooth (a bit jumpy), but hey it worked ...

Any advice what setting is best for me, orion???

• Streamparser showing Pana 14mm iso160 (sandisk 16gb / 30mbs card) 24L & Nokton 25mm iso160 24H (same card)

14mm test.png
    1920 x 1080 - 615K
    Nokton 25mm test.png
    1920 x 1080 - 548K
  • @pchristoph Hey mate, yeah I wanna see some of your glorious imagery using these patches, can't wait :-)

• @Driftwood Wow, really excited to try 'Orion' for my non-docu stuff...and very soon Quantum X - 50/100. @Vitaliy Thank you for unlocking the GH2's fullest potential. Look at what you have done !! I have incredible respect for the pioneers who have helped develop, test, and enhance the tools that are in our hands. What a time to be a filmmaker!

• I'ts curious, but with my sandisk 64 gb 95 mb/s, orion does'nt span in HBR mode and in 24P H mode span fine.

• @matthere Can you inmdicate which REC Mode you used on each picture? I may use one or two for the main page. Ta, mate.

• @driftwood no worries. you need your sleep... so you can keep making awesome patches for the rest of us ;-) seriously, though, thanks for all your work. my last l.a. vinyl project is getting some attention locally... wouldn't have shot it on gh2 had it not been for your's and vitaliy's work. much appreciated.

office is mine. have storage room locked with camera equipment in it (i do production and post here in l.a.) so, if anything gets stolen, it's insurance time, baby!

• Orion v4 - Sun has dipped away now, some wintered peppers slightly soft!. Nick this patch is amazing! Thank you!

Wintered Peppers.png
    1811 x 1011 - 2M
  • @driftwood, yes of course :) I just meant vs. v3 Rocket.

• @driftwood,

As I always thought, you're the KING! Of course, after Vitaliy :-)

I've tested all your 4 latest patches. And Version 4 (orion) is the BEST one for those who really want the same movie quality as real filmmakers have, despite huge file sizes!

With this Quantum X v.4 the amount of details in the dark is unbelievable!

Way to go, man!

• @matthere Nice. Gimmeee more, I want more! ;-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions