Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • Is there still any hope for the video in this camera? That five axis image stabilization is downright amazing- it's a bit like having a built-in Glidecam. Is the lack of a high bitrate more of a detriment than the lack of 24p? Wonder why Olympus only gives customers 30p wrapped in a 60i container? There's tons of cools things about this camera from a stills perspective- like the live view bulb feature.

• I was skeptical of the video stabilization at first, but it looks amazing in all the test clips. Though, on the wider shots, it seems like the architectural lines get skewed and contorted when the camera moves around. Other than that, everything looks great. The only thing holding me back from purchasing one is the lack of 24P. It's a real shame that they missed out on an opportunity to capitalize on that market segment.

Could you imagine using 24P with a camera stabilizing the Nokton 25mm, Panny 20mm, or even the Summilux? For run-and-gun, travel, or personal shots, it would practically be near perfection. Why carry an obvious stabilizer around town, or even buy one for that matter, when you only need to grab your camera and a lens? Oh well, I guess there's always next time. I don't see Panasonic implementing in-body stabilization, but if the GH3 had it, that would be the end-all camera body for me. Again, Olympus missed an opportunity, but I hope they or Panasonic can capitalize on it next time around.

• More on 5 axis stab. In the past it was believed that in-lens stabilization is superior to in-body one. Olympus has reveled that with their new technology. And their results are stunning.

How it works

600 mm equivalent. On/off. Wow that's MASSIVE.

Some random footage

I'm one of those quys who's sick of CMOS rolling shutter and wobbly DSLR footage that's everywhere these days and am very impressed with the new Oly. That's the only robust solution so far for shooting handheld video with a prime lens without steadycams and other dedicated additional hardware. Pentax also utilizes in-body stabilization but it's definitely not in the same league.

Good news is that we, Pana users, can adopt any of our existing m43 lenses without hassle.

To rain on the parade are 30p only (Oly is yet to discover that there is PAL world outside Japan and US) and 29 min recording limit.

No reviews are known to me so far that shed any light upon aliasing/moire in video mode.

• Does the em5 have live hdmi out or mic in?

AF speed chart.

OM-AF_Speed.jpg
    600 x 416 - 74K
  • E-M5 is not really interesting for video. Only 30fps. Pentax K-01 is more interesting for video. And K-01 also has built in IS, mic input, HDMI out.

• There may be a few redeeming values for video on the E-M5. One of them is clearly the IS that on top of working amazingly (going by the posted video) will also work on any legacy monster that you can think of. Another one (although questionable) is what it outputs to HDMI. You can always plug an external recorder in there but then you loose some of the portability and begin to enter tripod territory.

I'm sure it blends, but the real question is... Does it bin?

• Yes, the RAW at Focus Numerique look really good. I think it may be the best FourThirds RAW. Noise at high iso is really fine grain. I'm looking at iso 3200 RAW made indoors with only lamps as lighting and I think it looks way better than Panasonic. Not that I care too much about high iso. Still, I think this camera will sell well. Olympus has done good.

• The E-M5 photos on Focus Numerique site look good. The skin tone of the model is very goodm much better than my Gh1. That 45mm f1.8 looks like a winner.

• The IBIS for video is just darn awesome, surely there must be some software IS on that too

• e-m5 looking more like e-5...

• an example of the in body stabalization:

general framing at around 3:50, and some panning at around 8:00. Seems like the best in body stabilization I've ever seen, the horizontal panning looks like it's on a tripod.

It also shows off the Skew later in the video, definitely noticeable, I believe they are correcting for some of it with the IS as well.

What I'm curious about is, the live feed that the presenter is using. I wonder if it's HDMI, because it looks pretty "clean" (no HUD), when in recording mode... More information is needed!

• I imagined as such. Since it wasn't possible to at 24p to the GF1, I assume it isn't on this one either. It could've been a contender, but oh well.

• @pomoville I'm gonna guess the answer is "no". Unless someone else wants to do it, there doesn't seem to be much worthy of a hack in the OM-D. No 24p, no 25p, no 60p, no build in mic in, no headphone out.

Well actually, it does have one redeeming value for video, the sensor IS has great potential with all lens'.

But my guess is that Vitaliy is busy with all his other projects. he'll probably kick my butt for putting words in his mouth though :(

• Any chance of hacking this thing?

• I prefer the handling and overall image quality for stills of my Olympus e620 over the GH2 and it's not really a recent camera. The jpeg's out of camera are excellent. There is no doubt they make great stills cameras and some fantastic lenses.

• E-5 went mirrorless. Thus E-m5.

• @TheNewDeal Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, I don‘t care who produces the camera with the best quality for the lowest price. At the moment its Panasonic and it seems that they will keep this position for while ... the Canon 5D Mark3 needs to be perfect in all regards to make me fork out around 3000,- bucks.

• I think it will do fine as a photographers camera, if the RAW is good. I've compared the same sensor between Panasonic and Olympus a couple of times, and it amazes me that Olympus gets a sharper image and less noise at the same ISO. So if the noise is slightly less than G3, I think this weather sealed camera may well become a favorite because of the size and built. I think it will sell better than E-P3 and many other camera's. I don't like the looks, but many will.

• Olympus is a camera company, and they need to cover their core customers first, photographers. Having owned a number of E-DSLRs, I like how they operate, much more so than my GH1 (for stills, I feel even my Ricoh GRD functions better). I also like the look of Olympus out of camera jpegs better.