Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • As we moved from dumping to reversing this topic will containg actual info and discussions.

First good news. It looks like all video related setup routines in GH2 work in RAM, instead of ROM for older models.
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • Keep the good news coming - I haven't expected you to be that fast! Thanks a lot!!
  • Fantastic news!

So with low level operative commands running in RAM, does that mean we can change hack settings via a camera menu if you reverse far enough to allow it?

Can we expect testing to begin soon?

Very exciting news and congratulations Vitaliy.
  • >So with low level operative commands running in RAM, does that mean we can change hack settings via a camera menu if you reverse far enough to allow it?

Generally this that I want :-)

>Can we expect testing to begin soon?

Not yet, as first is encryption, later updating patches.
    And I do not have body now :-)

• Is your body in bits? :)

Regarding encryption, does this still need to be understood and broken - i.e. reversed? Or are you reversing an unencrypted dump of the firmware?
  • >Regarding encryption, does this still need to be understood and broken - i.e. reversed? Or are you reversing an unencrypted dump of the firmware?

Dump is unencrypted, of course (1.0C version, in my case).
    But encryption reversing is first step, as we'll be working on latest public firmware.
  • Thanks for clarifying, makes good sense.
  • Great news. I kicked you some support cash yesterday. Good luck and I'll keep an eye on these threads as I am a computer engineer (by day) and might be able to help once you get to the low level code.
  • The very first GH2 being hacked will raise from the death and show us the path.
  • So exciting.
  • Very cool Vitaliy. Godspeed! Will be donating next paycheck.

I'm a filmmaker, and just a quick question off the top of my head - is 4k a possibility if hacked? Thanks!!!
  • >is 4k a possibility if hacked?

I think that it is impossible :-)
  • 'And I do not have body now :-)'

Is a new GH2 body on the way to you? Do you need more donation / how much?
  • >Is a new GH2 body on the way to you? Do you need more donation / how much?

We'll be getting GH2 locally.
    We are not far from donation target to get GH2.
    Right now I can make reversing without body, as soon as we'll hit our target we'll get body.
  • I can't get rid of the image about GH2 being soldered. That's the only way to get this thing working. Like nailing on the Cross was the only way. Thank you Vitaliy. Thank you the soldered GH2.
  • Woohoo! Excellent news - go V. go! : ).
  • Very exciting, Vitaly! You da man!!!
  • This is fantastic. Just donated. Thanks for your work!
  • It looks like we almost made out target to GH2 body in just half a day :-)
    Thanks to all.
    I'll start to publish reversing info starting tomorrow.
    In won't be too much as I must focus on encryption first (and it is completely different to TZ10).
  • Just added a small amount to the pot.
  • Good luck Vitality. The m4/3 community is going to need to write a song commemorating this like the song the workers wrote for Jayne in firefly.
  • Btw, I think that many people here do not know Jane song :-)

But you need to watch whole episode (with much better performed version) to understand all irony :-)
  • Congrats Vitaliy
    *clapping
  • Amazing news Vitaliy! Been following the project since the start. The possibilities sound great. Good luck with the rest of the progress!
  • Next small portion of news.
    Some HDMI function names and parameters are known due to present text debug strings.

Here is example of function that init HDMI paramaters during powering on:

revers1.jpg
    614 x 188 - 47K
  • Great

Does the code seem clearer than the GH1, or is it a messy effort? Set_ContentType - very interesting. I know the HDMI on the GH2 has bigger potential than what they gave us - especially since they inserted a random cadence pattern into the interlacing of 24p to 60i.