Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @Gerald:

"To get external sound with 44/96 KHz in sync with a 23,98 fps sound that was speed up to 25 frames, smtp code is needed."

Or just do some quick math equations and use an audio editor with a good time stretch algorithm and pitch preserve. Then mux it. :)

• @Pop24 Fantastic quality. Did you use any noise reduction in post? Neat video?

• GH2 Pancake 20mm in a extreme low light situation, fimware 1.1, HBR Mode, 3200 iso, 1.7/25ms, color -2.

• @Vitaliy

Just chiming in to say keep up the good work. Take your time. Thank you for all you've done.

• @mozes - no de-interlacing required in avid

• I think with 1.1 more noise, but always more detail

• Anyone think there's less noise at high ISOs with v1.1 vs the stock 1.0?

• In v1.1 and 25p you stil have to do some de-interlacing, there is no time winning, ad least not with sony vegas.
    i use in final rendering also 25p But i am also waiting on the v1.1 hack/patch, there are more improvements i like.

• @mozes, @nomad - there's lots of us whose workflow depends on 25p and are very much hoping VK and Nick Driftwood can work the same kind of wonders again with v1.1 - no speeding up and no de-interlacing, thanks!

• @Gerald - PluralEyes Plugin for Sony Vegas works well with different framerates. Tested with 3 tracks @23,98+50p+50i...

• As far as i know, if it was already digitzed material and not lightsound on film, that has allway been done with a reference timecode. To get external sound with 44/96 KHz in sync with a 23,98 fps sound that was speed up to 25 frames, smtp code is needed. Not possible with GH2. I dont know if PluralEyes will work with different framerates. I dont want timebase corrector smtp-clapper and all those timecode stuff and problems again.

• Or shoot 24p and speed it up, like they did with film for European TV for nearly a century.

• Today i did try v1.1 again.
    But no, version 1.0 is by far better. (with hack)
    even for who wants 25p, its way better.
    Just film in 50i, in post interpolate and render to 25p, problem solved....

or even to 50p with virtualdub, just use the bob-doubler filter.

• Jesus people- let him work on it. Unlike some around here, he might have a life outside of the Panasonic GH2. If you want it faster, write your own code.

• I think to wait a little bit more patiently would be kind. How about motivating Vitaliy intead of strain?

• how long will it take to rewrite the rest approximatly?

• @paglez

Can you point me to promizes here?

I ported all patches except ones that require significant code parts rewrite.

• @Vitaliy

""Vitaliy_Kiselev December 2011 Do not worry. I'll be porting first patches this weekend :-) ""

What about this promises mon cher ami Vitaliy? -)

• Thanks. Since the 1.1 isn't hacked yet, I didn't knew whether that information was even accessible. Anyway, I see that there is a 60i independent GOP setting, and that might just make my day!

• @duartix

How about read topic first?

On main settings level they are combined with 24H. And on encoder level they are treated as old 50i and 60i (with only slight adjustments) :-)

• @Vitaly Any guesses whether the new 1.1 firmware has new AVCHD settings independent from the 24p and 50/60i?

I would like to give up one of those AVCHD modes and configure it exclusively for timelapses...

• Gh2 with the Pancake 20mm. Glidecam HD 1000. Firmware 1.1 / HBR Mode / Pancake 20mm/ f.17/25ms/ 1250 ISO and 3200 ISO noise reduction 0

• Yes i went over the 30 min time limit with a PAL GH2 too, Pana is doing great things for us end users

• Open source is a good idea for the magic lantern project as it runs it's own code on top of the firmware, much less of a chance for people to brick their camera while fiddling with the code themselves and trying it out.

With the actual firmware? I would forsee bricked cameras left and right, not only from people modifying firmware, perhaps finding something works, modifying a little more a little more then bricking. Someone releasing a firmware binary online from their own tinkering (whether intentional or unintentional) for people to try out.. lots of bricked cameras.

You don't want unsafe binaries floating around..

If anything to be open at all, perhaps some abstracted functions ('safe' ones only) can be opened within PTool in experimental section (instead of just variables) where people can/change code which can be compiled into the firmware, where the worst damage that can happen is garbage output to the card and screen etc. Then people could perhaps even add their own functions such as writing new menu items or some other kind of processing.

With those, you could at least see the code someone else is providing, plus if you can only access functions in a safe way (only functions that are named by PTool etc), then you can still be sure of a particular hack not going to brick your camera (rather than a firmware binary that may brick your camera that you cannot trust).

• GH2 Dear Vitaliy, How are you coping with hacking the 25p firmware?