Personal View site logo
A knife and two bazookas to a gun fight
  • 148 Replies sorted by
  • All the info is good to have. I'm under no illusions the Scarlet is the better camera, but it is great to see with my own eyes how they compare and in what areas the GH3 can improve on most... In my view, dynamic range, compression of lows (shadows) and colour banding over subtle gradation.

• RED is becoming the new benchmark, that's all. We're seeing RED all the time, on HD TVs and gradually becoming literate in the look. For commercials and TV drama, it's taken over from Betacam. Our eyes aren't yet capable of distinguishing the look of lesser cameras from RED, but that will change. If we give RED 5 stars for, say, dynamic range, we know how many to give another camera. Movie production staff deal with RED and film every day and are instinctively able to tell the difference. That's their benchmark.

• @David_Cole Thanks David, footage tests look great. The GH2 footage seems to have been removed.

Edit: at least the footage was up a few minutes ago. Now the post has disappeared.

• @sebben I'm pretty intrigued by this camera. How come nobody is talking about it?

• @EOSHD

I don't think we'll see a 10-bit version of the GH line-up in the near future, or better profile manipulation. Maybe if they bring out a pro-GH camera, it's a possibility, but it'll certainly cost more.

I have high hopes for the AF series though, as it's been completely displaced by the FS100 and needs to compete.

• Here's a little video (sorry for the brief interruption). Both are straight out of their respective cameras, transcoded by Compressor for Vimeo upload. Vimeo password is: test

GH2

Scarlet

• @David_Cole, both videos are private on vimeo. could you make it public or password protected so we can see it full screen? thank you.

• Done. The password is: test

-- DC

• @David_Cole, thank you. Also do you know about enabling content to stream at 1080p in Vimeo, it's just a tick in a box in the Settings for each video, under video file, it says "Display this video in 1080p". Maibe you know it, but if you could do it would be great.

• Display this video in 1080p

Also done.

• thank you so much :)

• @David_Cole, hi David and thank you for the effort. If you could just put some uncompressed png frame grab. So that we don't suffer from vimeo compression. Again thank you for the effort.

• @David_Cole did you downscale the scarlet footage? (or is it shot in 2k?)

Had a quick glance at the footage on my macbook and it's very hard to discern any difference apart from a slight red tinge in the red footage and a slight green tinge from the gh2.

Obviously my screen makes it impossible to pixel-peep. On paper there should be no discernible difference at 720p and a slight advantage in terms of resolution for the scarlet (at least from downscaled 4k) at 1080p.

• did you downscale the scarlet footage?

REDCINE-X PRO does that on export from the native REDRAW.

very hard to discern any difference

It's rare to see an ungraded RED file in the wild. REDRAW is intended to be processed. Some of the color science actually acts on the RAW data before the debayer. There is SO much latitude to manipulate the Scarlet image, it's scary. You can get from RAW to stunning with a few tweaks.

• @x_worpig_x

It's defiantly an interesting camera. It is only being manufactured in small quantities, but I understand they are ramping up production. There are a few quirks that you need to work around, longish camera boot up times and long capturing times from the memory cards. probably not to dissimilar to using a RED ONE.

I really like the image quality though, reminds me of the still images of the leica m8 and m9 and the workflow is much the same. Not surprising since the ikonoskop uses a kodak CCD sensor.

I would buy one if I could, perhaps when V2 comes out I will be able too.

• @David_Cole What lenses did you use with each camera in this shot?

• Tokina 11-16's (Nikon mount on GH2, Canon mount on Scarlet)

• Motion in Scarlet is amazing. But I am really pleased with how motion looks in GH2

• Good to hear that it works well.. I've have concerns with the reliability of RED (and therefore of using it) but it seems like this is the area where it excels.

I'm hoping to hear some experiences from working with the f65 and it's footage as well..!

• I've been playing with redcineX and it does give a world of possibilities. You basically need to develop the image from it's raw state. Like using the unsharp in a raw photo in photoshop, for example, to bring out the true detail captured by the sensor. A downscale after that step would better reveal it's power. But Gh2 for all that it has baked in looks stunning.

• What impressed me about the Scarlet image is the sheer amount of latitude. We're certainly nowhere near RAW on a DSLR yet, but the GH2 is doing incredibly well on resolution and on compression. I think in the future we can imagine what a moving RAW DSLR still looks like and call that our DSLR video. The sensors are certainly there, they just need more power under the bonnet - faster image processors. The only reason they don't have them at the moment is that A) not needed for stills and B) expensive C) power hungry and D) hard to cool

• Well, basically what the GH2 is outputting is like pretty high quality jpegs. (vs medium - low quality jpegs from other dslrs + the variable dimension of time and what that entails). I don't think anyone will dispute the differences in handling jpegs / raw in post.

The next step for dslrs where video is an important component is to output a clean, high quality signal (which can be recorded externally), and Nikon's d4 is an indication of that..

It's going to be interesting to see how quickly others follow suit..

• -- Good to hear that it works well --

At the risk of sounding like a FANBOY (and truth be told I might be on my way), the Scarlet camera and post application(s) are extremely well designed and executed. You can tell that these products have been developed with a great deal of customer understanding. It all has to "work for a living".

• So, we've established that both cameras freaking rock. I think we all already knew that anyway :-)

Thanks @David_Cole for your efforts.

PS: how much did your man shit himself when them kids nearly ripped his canopy up? :-)