Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
A knife and two bazookas to a gun fight
  • 148 Replies sorted by
  • Hey can somebody post a link to the videos... for some reason they're not showing up, just blank spaces above.

• Same problem here- in fact I'm not seeing any video links anymore for some reason.

Vincent

• all vimeo embeds in the threads I looked at are blanked out

• Yep, just noticed the same thing on other sites linking to vimeo as well, weird.

• other sites? this is strange. But then again, what isn't?!

• motionographer.com is working but reduser is having the same problem. forum embed disabled? forums are quick sand territory. beware...uuuhh

• ummm.... it wasn't me who broke it :-)

• I guess vimeo ain't strong enough for gh2 and scarlet together on the same test ;)

• I have done a split-screen and graded the Scarlet footage. Hope you don't mind David.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/6946/gh2-split-screen-versus-red-scarlet

The embed is working on that page... Let me know if you can't see it there either!

• would someone be kind enough to just post a link, rather than embed please.

• ?Hope you don't mind David.?

No problem!

• Is it me or does the two camera focus not on the same plane. I see like the gh2 focus further away looking at the detail like the three at the end of the road and the antenna in the back. The gh2 image seem to be much more in focus than the scarlet one. Now could be the smaller sensor and it would not affect the detail at the front, but I don't know for sure.

• @Lpowell I agree with pretty much all you say. Some thoughts though. How could the GH3 be improved over the GH2?

Well, for me it is more a practical improvement than technical: HD-SDI for a monitor and 2x XLRs for audio, and ND filters built in, so if the AF100 had a GH2 sensor and a higher bitrate, that would be it for me! I could hapily make a for-cinema-release low budget indie feature on that camera.

If the GH2 is, as so many say, good enough, from an image perspective, and easily better than what we had 5 years ago, why is everybody even more obsessed with scraping the last vestiges of detail from it. It's all looking a bit like an autistic obsession to me. I love my GH2. I love where we've taken it, but unless we move on from pixel peeping, not a lot of great films are going to get made.

• @LucasAdamson you are absolutely correct..

It seems like we're just about at the "end" of resolution for 1080p on the gh2. Though, there are functional improvements which might be made and perhaps even more from the Image if for instance the iDYNAMIC function can be controlled.. That said, it is a fantastic camera, full stop - and deserves to be put to use. HD-SDI would be great to have on the next gh-cam. XLR might make it too bulky for my liking but I can see what you mean. Why not make an optional module for those things? What Panny have would lend itself well to added flexibility and choice as well as some kind of open source solution for product/usability development..

Panny's broadcast division should really take notice and perhaps co-operate with their consumer division in producing the successors for the gh and af series... But I seriously doubt anything like that will happen. They are a conservative company and many things happen in increments.

• Well, looks like every RED production knows what to use as a crash-cam!

• @LucasAdamson I agree. As RRRR puts it; you are absolutely correct.

The only bit i might add here is, they shouldn't cripple the camera to level of point and crap DSLR. Let's not forget as good as the GH2 is in the OEM format it's not something to write home about. The only reason we are all reading these and many other articles about the glorious GH1 and GH2 is the gift of magical quality that Vitaliy Kiselev is handing around generously. In fact Panasonic are sitting on their hands ever-since after HVX 100/200 series and watching the charade that put out by Canon, Sony and even Nikon. Well to be fair they have done the AF101 but ... i digress.

The hacked GH2 is the manifest of Panasonic's abilities in technology and their lack of understanding the market place. I bet my lunch money on the fact that the number of sold GH1s after the release of the hack grow many folds. This fact applies to GH2 as well.

They should open the flood gates and start another revolution as they did with HVX100/200 series. The only way they can get back on the saddle would be making a Camera with the image quality of " GH2-HACKED " and beyond, sporting XLR audio, a generous multi ND built in, SDi, clean HDMI and adaptable lens mounts with the road map to 4K for the people that could afford/need it.

• "sporting XLR audio, a generous multi ND built in, SDi, clean HDMI and adaptable lens mounts with the road map to 4K for the people that could afford/need it."

I'd be happy with HDMI monitoring that doesn't screw up your recorded frame rate and genlock... but my interests might be somewhat divergent from the group.

• @010101

I think the only way there will be a real drive forward for Panny is if there is enough request for a GH PRO line, in other words - upgradeability of their already fantastic high end consumer video hybrid. Since it seems like consumer and broadcast department has little or no interaction over at Panasonic, I'm betting the drive has to come from the consumer department to take it forward and push into the broadcast division rather than the other way around.

The more I think of it, the more it would make perfect sense for Panny to bring modular upgrades into the game. Think a basic GH 3 which fits snugly into your pocket with consumer lenses that also can attach to an additional PRO unit (like a battery grip) for serious outputs, inputs, raw capture e.t.c. Similarly, the firmware would be upgradeable into a "PRO" version with user based software development possibilities. In other words, avoiding the problems with handing an open end firmware to your basic consumer who only wants a cam which takes photos and shoots video well..

• @David_Cole

That would be a very good start!

• @David_Cole

What do you mean "screw up your recorded frame rate?"

Are you saying using the HDMI port out to an external mucks with the frame rate recorded to SD Cards?

• "Are you saying using the HDMI port out to an external mucks with the frame rate recorded to SD Cards"

Yep... if you're trying for 720 60P, you get 1080 60i when you connect an HDMI monitor. Sucks.

• Okay so using the HDMI out while recording 720/60 makes the card record 1080/60i? It's not the same for 1080/24, right? Thanks for the heads up... I'm just gonna turn the cam on and throw it into this monitor to double check.

Had no idear about that.

• @David_Cole just out of interest does your GH2 lift or crush shadows when you hit record, relative to the live view exposure?

Mine used to lift, now it crushes. Very odd!

• @David_Cole, i can verify that. Not knowing a thing about the HDMI case out of GH2 we try that in a rainy day. The Hyperdeck Shuttle was rented and at the time i owned only one GH2 so i was a chicken for a thorough testing. I was very excited at first to see the quality being streamed onto my 52 inch TV. We noticed the interlacing combs soon and i stopped everything because camera was getting really warm. Next day when i checked the footage on the card it was kinda messed up and interlaced.

• So if i'm right ''District 9'' could be shot on GH2 Hacked and have aproximativly same results ?

(note that JPEG are compressed and does not delivere true BR quality) http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/District-9-Blu-ray/7594/#Screenshots

http://www.detskerher.dk/files/cinema_blog/wallpaper/widescreen/district_9_blu-ray8.jpg