Personal View site logo
** FCP Update 2012 ** 10.0.3
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • @sohus, I can't really agree with your assumptions about Apple resources. Of all Software companies they have unreal amounts of resources to higher enough software engineers to have teams dedicated to discrete projects. I would think iOS team is separate from FCPX as separate from Logic, Aperture etc. I don't know the internal structure but would think logically that they are the least likely of all companies to run into limited resource issues.

This is not to say that it won't take as long as you say to get things fixed, but I doubt it's cuz they don't have enough resources. I will soon be testing the update myself to see how it works on my system. Will report when I have some real world experiences.
  • @bdegazio
    Nothing changed in 10.0.1, I even think 10.0.2 made many bugs even worse.

@alcomposer
    I don't expect the early 2012 update to improve much. They will introduce many new features and even more bugs. FCPX has serious issues in the core foundation that need to be fixed. I don't hold my breath anymore and I think it is realistic to expect no big improvement until version 2.0 or even 3.0. Every video editor had to go to several versions to become really rock-solid and I don't see why it would be different for FCPX, especially because Apple nowadays has higher priorities (iOS mainly). If they have one software engineer and they need to chose between fixing playback for FCPX or the rumored Apple TV, what would get priority?

No, I am not holding my breath. I like FCPX a lot but this is going to be a long ride. Apple has said that they are in it for the next 10 years, which I believe, but the first three years are going to be a rough ride.
  • @sohus - I can confirm all the bugs you mention. I'm still using version 10.0.0 becuase of the lack of triple-monitor support in in Lion. Are you seeing these same problems in 10.0.1?

• @sohus
    I am not using FCPX until 2012 update... treat this as beta...
  • I stopped using the applicaton recently. Too many weird errors and sluggish performance. The playhead often gets stuck, windows lose focus, playback stutters, all kinds of stuff is rendering in the background even whenb the render manager shows nothing. When you zoom in to your footage, the playhead sometimes gets lost, and thumbnails are rerendered which slows down the program again... absolutely driving me nuts!
  • In all honesty, I REALLY enjoyed using FCX during the time I had the trial, but it just simply lacked a couple things that kept me from purchasing. I expect to purchase it within a year, however, as plugins and Apple's updates fill in the gaps. The sheer extra power thanks to the multicore support made editing on my MBP very refreshing and enjoyable. The bottom line for me is, once there is a noise reduction option that can handle the GH2's GOP1 stuff, I'll get FCX. The rest of the program is plenty adequate for what I do. The color correction is great, the surround sound keyframing, etc. is very easy to use, and the multicore support makes it quite powerful on my laptop. The timeline magnetics and stuff is very different, but I'll learn it.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions