Personal View site logo
** FCP Update 2012 ** 10.0.3
  • Just posting here as I missed this TOTALLY!

2012 Early Update- Bringing professional monitoring options! TTL!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

I shouldn't even be excited about this - but I am! ;-D
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • In all honesty, I REALLY enjoyed using FCX during the time I had the trial, but it just simply lacked a couple things that kept me from purchasing. I expect to purchase it within a year, however, as plugins and Apple's updates fill in the gaps. The sheer extra power thanks to the multicore support made editing on my MBP very refreshing and enjoyable. The bottom line for me is, once there is a noise reduction option that can handle the GH2's GOP1 stuff, I'll get FCX. The rest of the program is plenty adequate for what I do. The color correction is great, the surround sound keyframing, etc. is very easy to use, and the multicore support makes it quite powerful on my laptop. The timeline magnetics and stuff is very different, but I'll learn it.
  • I stopped using the applicaton recently. Too many weird errors and sluggish performance. The playhead often gets stuck, windows lose focus, playback stutters, all kinds of stuff is rendering in the background even whenb the render manager shows nothing. When you zoom in to your footage, the playhead sometimes gets lost, and thumbnails are rerendered which slows down the program again... absolutely driving me nuts!
  • @sohus
    I am not using FCPX until 2012 update... treat this as beta...
  • @sohus - I can confirm all the bugs you mention. I'm still using version 10.0.0 becuase of the lack of triple-monitor support in in Lion. Are you seeing these same problems in 10.0.1?

• @bdegazio
    Nothing changed in 10.0.1, I even think 10.0.2 made many bugs even worse.

@alcomposer
    I don't expect the early 2012 update to improve much. They will introduce many new features and even more bugs. FCPX has serious issues in the core foundation that need to be fixed. I don't hold my breath anymore and I think it is realistic to expect no big improvement until version 2.0 or even 3.0. Every video editor had to go to several versions to become really rock-solid and I don't see why it would be different for FCPX, especially because Apple nowadays has higher priorities (iOS mainly). If they have one software engineer and they need to chose between fixing playback for FCPX or the rumored Apple TV, what would get priority?

No, I am not holding my breath. I like FCPX a lot but this is going to be a long ride. Apple has said that they are in it for the next 10 years, which I believe, but the first three years are going to be a rough ride.
  • @sohus, I can't really agree with your assumptions about Apple resources. Of all Software companies they have unreal amounts of resources to higher enough software engineers to have teams dedicated to discrete projects. I would think iOS team is separate from FCPX as separate from Logic, Aperture etc. I don't know the internal structure but would think logically that they are the least likely of all companies to run into limited resource issues.

This is not to say that it won't take as long as you say to get things fixed, but I doubt it's cuz they don't have enough resources. I will soon be testing the update myself to see how it works on my system. Will report when I have some real world experiences.
  • @aria
    I agree. But it is Apple so you never know. They don't communicate. And you can say what you want: iOS delayed OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. They have unlimited resources but that doesn't mean that the FCPX team can get as big as they want... they fired a lot of people when the big re-write was done. Also, the team also works on Logic and Aperture (not sure if it is the same people, but they are supposed to share resources). Aperture could also use an update and Logic X was probably delayed after the huge outrage over FCP X.

Also: why is there no Mac Pro update? 2012 is going to show how committed Apple really is to professionals.
  • >Also: why is there no Mac Pro update? 2012 is going to show how committed Apple really is to professionals.

At this point I'm not holding my breath...
  • Intel only came out with the new chips in Q4 2011- and remember that Apple can be slow when they want to be...
  • I gave Final Cut Pro X another try. Loving it more and more. Hope the early 2012 update fixes some of the issues that have been plaguing it. The more I use FCPX, the more I hate Avid and Premiere. The problem with FCPX is that it is a 1.0 product and that it was built for the future. It is so taxing for my system. The good thing is: in a year or so the performance will be optimized and the hardware will be improved to a great extent. I expect external thunderbolt videocards and maybe a new Mac Pro. That's the problem with FCPX... throughput. I notice that people working on a SAN or Thunderbolt Raid with high-end SSD equipped Macs don't have much problems. FCPX was built for that. Adobe can't fix Premiere with time because they lack a vision... CS6 will be like FCP7, which some may like, but FCP7 was broken as well and the more I work in FCPX, the more I hate how things worked the old way. Performance and bugs are easily fixed over time. Video and photo will converge and FCPX is more suited for that... Adobe is answering with Lightroom 4 but I don't think it will replace Premiere anytime soon.

One of the things I really like is load SD card, import as Camera Archive and optimize in ProRes 422. I can visually see what is on my cards in FCPX, unless Avid and Premiere where I am forced to import before I can see what clips I have. Also the Metadata and filtering in FCPX are very powerful... because you can search your library instead of the current project. Huge time-saver with B-roll footage. I use Aperture and iTunes and their libraries are available to FCPX even when they are not open. Another huge time-saver for me.

I will keep experimenting with Avid and Premiere Pro but so far I like FCPX most. Can't wait for the next update (multicam, broadcast monitoring), future iCloud integration (collaboration) and iPad control (sure this one is on the roadmap, as the UI of FCPX is the same as the UI of edit video on my iPhone in iOS (yellow range selector).

Apple to-do list (if you ask me): - iCloud integration - iPad - Multicam - Broadcast monitoring - Better pasting of clip effects - Remembering in/out points - Project file size (performance) - Multiple selections on import - Window lay-outs (save/import/export/sync icloud?) - Send to Motion - Send to Logic - Mute all audio (like in Avid) - Redesign of compressor (just use Share monitor) - Set memory for FCPX (like in Motion/Adobe)... FCP uses up to 100% cpu/RAM bringing my iMac to its knees sometimes if you do multi-tasking)

• I don't like products with a long wishlist. Also... Apple's Black Hole has taken Steve Job's seat. My gut feeling is that Apple's FCPX is like Microsoft's DotNetFramework which hasn't taken over the world yet.

• Being in the process of testing out FCPX for myself- (got sick of all the UGC tutorials etc.)

Have to say that to be completely honest this is the first 'serious' effort of editing and clip database integration out there. FCP is fantastic - but there is NO clip management option. Remember that they had that horrid FCP Server for this task... :-Z

• for all those FCPX lovers, how could you go with this software, you never know when they gonna leave you again and change the interface radically so when you open it up you don't know what to do? and after time being use it you have became an expert !!!

they did it once,...

I made a mistake and in 2006 from Avid came to FCP.

FCP+iMovie+APPLE=FCPX= unprofessionalism

• @oneday

Sounds like the only software you could be happy with is open source- as change of direction occurs with 'ALL' software. Avid just did it with Pro Tool by axing their plugin architecture for a new one.

I do wonder if 'any' software that we use now will look the same in 10? 20? 30 years? Let alone be compatible...

PS: I am not trying to flame here... just state fact.

• FUCK ALL OF YOU HATERS

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

Who said Apple wasn't listening? 10.03 baby...!

• Multicam
    • Broadcast monitoring
    • Media link
    • Layered Photoshop graphics
    • XML 1.1
    • Advanced Chroma
  • YES YES YES

Motion 5 is also update to 5.0.2 (don't know about round tripping though- however with XML1.1 linking to NUKE etc should be a breeze) not that it isn't now... but most probably more robust.

• Apple should announce all the dot updates up to 10.9 will be FREE for early adopters and new customers will pay $1200. Let's see how many people stop crying for missing features. As for me, i bought it after 10.0.1 and that time it was nothing to write home about. I couldn't even cut my family videos with it on the same MBP that i ran the FCP7 OK. Since, i have upgraded an older MacPro with a flashed 4870 video card, internal raid and 24 GB of RAM. Yes sometimes there slowdowns with projects that has over 2000 clips BUT at the end of the day this old MacPro eats 1080p jobs for breakfast, lunch and dinner - sometimes snacks in between. The gold idea is the " WorkFlow ". The sum of of all parts of your editing chores is called editing - unless you are a hollywood master cutter with assistants. Only the clip management and Rolls are worth the whole PremierPro. I use the following to pay rent: - FCPX, FCP7, PremierPro CS5.5, Smoke, ZBrush, 3dMax, Maya - and i hate and love all of them in different times of my day

• Yay, now it's only missing multiple sequences and it's a software that does everything the four year old original could but in 64 bit (like Premiere or Avid). I was a longtime FCP user, but with X I jumped over to Premiere instead (I need multiple sequence editing, as I often do grading and EFX work) and haven't looked back since... A shame as I hoped that Apple would repeat the success of Logic 8, but failed miserably.

• @Gabel media management was imposible in FCPnonX. There are way to many people out there that love FCPnonX so much that they are unable to tell the wood from the trees... Just 'try' to edit audio with it. Its absolutely useless. What FCPX achieves is the 'media bucket' metaphorn (as opposed to a track based system- like ProTools etc) yet takes it to its logical conclusion. (No use having media buckets suck on a time line if you can't anchor them to something).

Just wait 2 years and you will see FCPX clones popping up all over the place... (Yes I am talking to you Premier) - That is of course if Photoshop doesn't eat it up before that happens... :D

• FCP X!!!!!!

What a load of rubbish! I am proud to be a first generation adopter of FCP. I used version 1.0 and still have the box proudly displayed on my shelf. But FCP X??? Middle finger comes to mind

I now run Avid and Adobe CS5.5, and am loving them. Also check out Lightworks! It's brilliant and it's free!

• @kazuo

Have you seriously checked out importing clips into LW's? If you think FCPX is a pain- get ready for it with LW's! Oh, and if you want media management with LW's make sure that you buy yourself a nice small data centre, plus a heap of software- which also may or may not be supported in the future. :D

But in all seriousness, maybe @VK should delete this thread before it turns into flame. Seams that the current attitude is to use Adobe regardless of anything. Adobe must be making lots of 'cash'...

• I have used LW to cut stuff, and hv managed to work around the issues you mentioned. It's awkward but it's not like FCP X, a half-baked attempt to take editing software technology forward.

To me, FCP x should have never been released before they patched up all the kinks. Apple's greed?

• @alcomposer: FCP 7 was a GREAT software when it came out... 4 years ago. There's a reason people loved it, but it has aged poorly. I know about audio editing in FCP and the nightmare it is, but when I do audio editing it's often in Soundtrack Pro but most the time I don't touch audio. What I wanted to say was rather that while it was good, something new was needed and like many I was holding out for the new FCP, but sucked so hard when it came that I jumped over to Premiere instead. Like many others. Now they're trying to win back people by adding back functions (that should have been there in the first place) but the damage is done and many have abandoned it and probably won't change now.

• @Gabel I do remember the discussion that most of the top editors were talking about regarding FCPX. Mainly about FCPX not being ready yet... I forget who said it- but one said: if you use FCPX10.0.0 then "I want your clients!".

• @Gabel What a bullshit. These features were planned right from the start but software development takes time, even when you are Apple and have 70 billion in the bank. Consider FCPX 10.0.0 a public beta. That was what it was. I think this is the real 1.0 release and from now on it will only get better.

Avid and Adobe are already answering (Adobe Prelude has skimming and filmstrip view implemented). You can't beat Final Cut Pro X for the price (especially Motion 5) and the eco-system will flower (it already is doing that). Everything is cheaper... plug-ins and because so many people can afford it, they will sell lots of it.

Everyone who says FCPX is iMovie can walk to hell. It was made as a professional product from day 1. And a new Mac Pro will be released soon and all nervous nellies will be satisfied again.

Premiere Pro does amazing things but overall I think it is still a crappy UI and it is not fast to edit in it. Counter-productive. Premiere Pro is just a clone of Avid meets Final Cut Pro 7. No vision, no passion there.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions