Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Hey guy's this video was shot using @driftwood Quantum v2 check it out
    Lens pani 20mm f1.7
    W.B = Custom
    Lighting Tungsten
    Profile Cinema

Some of the shots were out to focus.
  • @balazer I can put any value or is it better to put a multiple of 22? Are these setting not relayed between the h and L setting, will it not cause problem if I start to put my own values.
  • @Driftwood Aqua V2 failed on class six. I'd have a ten presently but just bought lenses (doh). Thanks for your work on all of this.
  • I will be using AQuamotion for the feature " True Story" ... I am shooting on a pair of GH2's starting next month...unless something changes...

4 reasons - 1. We have numerous 30MB 16gig Sandisks which I can swap out to log footage
    as we go, plus they work well with this patch....
    2. 100MB is still REALLY high and GOP1 for motion.
    3. They span so I'm not gonna worry if a take runs too long.
    4. STABILITY....cant have people on the set losing faith in me as DOP

"In Driftwood I trust"
  • In "fixation" thread, Nick says:
    "INTRA requires it to work correctly for high i frames. Low bitrate INTRA equals crap Quantisation in real terms on the GH2. Simple as that. (...) Ive been constantly looking at how low I can adjust the bitrate down before the metrics change to shit."

I must agree. After trying i can't have a decent custom L setting lower than the preset. It's linked with the H set of each patch.

So, correct me if am wrong, the more compromised patch between high end user and prosumer (i often switch to one to other, but don't necessary having the time to re-flash the gh2) with AQ4 and GOP1 seems to use (at the moment) quantum4.

Happy end year to everybodyz^^! Seb.
  • Firstly thanks to @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @driftwood, @LPowell (for all those great GH1 patches) and everyone else who has worked on turning these cameras into filmic powerhouses and I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question.

I'm about to shoot a feature doco on two hacked GH2's (starting in the next day or so) and have run tests on Aquamotion, SeaQuake etc. I'm still having difficulty deciding on the best patch that combines stability/quality. We had some failures with Seaquake at 24h. Aquamotion seemed very reliable and spanned well. Just wondering if any version of Quantum would be better combination of quality and reliability? It seems a number of people have had success with v2 of Quantum. It would be awesome to have the high quality setting alongside the lower quality spanning (for interviews etc) in the one patch. Can anyone recommend which patch might suit the demands of a documentary best. I'd really welcome any input or advice.
  • We need more feedback on any of the 720p60 and 1080i modes in Quantum betas, if anyone has any particular findings please let me know here. Together we can all make Quantum a great all round patch.
    Indeed, we should all prefer to call it the 'p-v Quantum' patch as so many have helped and reported back findings. Any great settings should be presented with its case regarding the findings.
    At the end of the day, if there are better settings/use of GOPs in different modes, then sobeit.
    Many thanks. Nick
  • @danyyyel, you can very easily change the 24L setting to anything you want in PTool after loading the Quantum settings.
  • I would like to ask if need be a second set of Quantum patch more like V2 where you have a high 160 and a low about 60. My reason is than an L setting at 100 is too high compared to the 160. For some it might be good but for me it like a middle way that does not warrant me to go lower for the size compared to 160. While the 60 makes more sense because it is definitely lower so it will make a good difference in size even if you have to make some compromise in quality. But at least you have two clear choices. I am not saying that we should not have a 100mbit choice but both version for those that want it. Thanks again for the fantastic work.
  • Of course he's trolling. Looks like a consumer video camera.

Hope no one installs that on their camera. Brick City...
  • @sharpixels
    pretty sure sharpixels is trolling.

If not, he's incredibly arrogant for a first poster to just roll
    on in with his great patch
    that looks worse than stock.

He already tried to start his own thread with his patch.

It takes a lot of trial and error and learning to do a patch. I think he's
    just trying to bash things rather than do anything useful.

• @driftwood. I'm pretty comfortable with your Quantum V2 patch. I use the mjpeg for 2fps time exposures. Is there any known problems or gotcha's with V2 in regards to avchd in:
    1080 24p h or L
    1080i
    720p modes
  • @onlocatoin On the transcend cards, I've found the orange label class 10 cards aren't as fast as the same card with the dark (blue or maybe black) label. I'm going to see if they will swap out my 3 orange cards for the ones with the dark labels.
  • @onlocatoin
    Thanks. I guess I will just have to try them out, hah. I've been using TerrAQuake on my Transcend as SeAQuake seemed to be a little unstable for them. Hopefully I will be able try out these new beta patches with my Transcends.
  • @sanzadez Not all Transcend class 10 cards are the same. I have ones that won't record for more than a few seconds even with the lower bitrate patches, but I have other ones that perform really well and handle everything but the most demanding patches. Both cards are labeled exactly the same, Transcend SDHC 16GB with 10 inside C, the only difference is the color of the labels. In my experience the orange ones (older?) won't work but the ones with black labels seem to work well.
  • @driftwood

Either way, thanks.
  • hey everyone. Been busy filming so haven't had any time to try out the new Quantum beta patches. Was thinking about trying them out over my Christmas vacation. The majority of SD cards I have are Transcend class 10 cards. I was wondering if anyone has tried out the beta patches with Transcend cards, and could recommend which version would be best for that type of card. Thanks in advance.
  • Quantum beta 6 is still being tested. It may appear tomorrow. :-)
  • @driftwood

For those of us going off the grid for the Holidays (Friday thru New Year), any chance of a new hack before then? I'm just going to load the latest before I leave and stick with it. Q5 is already locked and loaded. Just wondering about some of the hints you've been droppin'. ;)
  • @kholi that's a question or two for @Vitaliy_Kiselev. From my understanding it is presently too difficult to manipulate ETC mode.
  • No for the regular MJPEG (HD filming mode) you need a 1.33x anamorphic to get to 2.37. (16:9 x 1.33)
    For MJPEG VGA you need a 2x anamorphic to get to 2.66 (4:3 x 2)
  • just patched Quantum v5...so, the 2048x864 it isn't 2:37 right out of the camera right? I would need need a 1.33x adapter like the LA7200? And, the 2160x810 would be 2:66 with the 1.33x adapter?
  • @driftwood

Figured this could go here:

1. Is there any way to adjust the ETC mode crop? Say instead of 2.4x (which is great still) to 1.6x?
    2. Is there any possibility of AVCHD or MJPEG in ETC mode being as clean as without?

Super 16mm Glass user here... just curious.
  • @driftwood, thanks man. And yeah, the B&W AQuamotion video looks friggin great.
  • @Heartfelt Give it a whizz on your sd card and see.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions