Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • >I like to know if you can put 25 to 60P a insurance 24mbs

I don't understand that you mean here. 60P?
    I can't say that this is guaranteed (or possible at all) today.
    I am working on GH2 and TZ10 each day, but I have extreme time shortage in last weeks.
    Hope to get more free time soon.
  • I think one problem with a lower end 4K camera is we can't use SSDs. How will we write all that bandwidth? Also, any expectation AVCHD encoder spec will support 1080p 60p? It doesn't seem like a big deal? The most important things in a future GH-X to me would be a larger resolution, 4K is not necessary. But 2.5 or 3K would allow all kinds of post stabilization and then cropped to 1080p. 60p would be nice. I love the idea of 120p even if it would be only for a short burst. Better HDMI out. No hope for SDI to capture greater than 8-bit. Global shutter. Higher res LCD screen (920k). I'd love Peaking. In case Panasonic is reading.:-)
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    I'm scared the Sony NEX7 will arrive with all the features we've been looking for.
    Damm Panasonic for crippling their cameras.
    Please keep the good work on the GH2, I donated again.
  • Hi Vitaly,
    I start to get desperate!
    I'm doing a lot of documentaries for european TV, where I need 25P.
    I hate interlaced!
    Please make it happen soon!
    I don't want to change to Canon and Magic Lantern....!
    Thanx for listening to me!
  • I want to say Good Luck with the research on the GH2, I donated when the first GH1 hack was announced and I just donated $20, thank you for your hard work Vitaliy!
  • I would like to see the following in a GH2 hack:

Right now when in AFS focus mode and you are recording you can press the shutter half way to re-foucs but if you use the focus ring (talking panny lenses here) you can't pull focus unless you press the shutter halfway first and hold it (causing a refocus before you pull). I would like, while in AFS mode, to have the option to use the focus ring with out having to press the shutter while doing it. Basically make the focus ring work at all times in AFS mode while retaining the option to half press to get a new auto focus.

Thanks,
  • It looks I'll get more time in upcoming week. Hope that it'll speed up GH2 hacks development.
    But many things still must be done before first PTool release with GH2 support.
  • Great V. Anything other people can help you with?
  • Yay, just what I wanted to hear!
    I just got my Voit adapter for my GH2 so I'm pretty excited about further improvements for my setup.
  • Godspeed Vitaliy!
  • Hi guys,
    I've followed GH1 haking process and now I'm work just whit pana staff.
    Vitaliy hack make GH1 able for a pro use... Hope you'll be the same magic thing on GH2 too.

I've donate and I will do it again,
    just want to say thanks for your amazing work. (panasonic should say thank you too;)
  • Panasonic will never say thank you. I would settle for them just getting out of his way.
  • @mpgxsvcd

I prefer to think about Panasonic Lumix devision as of bad mother.
    She gave his child birth and abandoned him. Don't give a fuck about him anymore.
    She is now completely drunk, in some motel, busy making her next baby.

• acabo de comprarme mi lumix gh2 para mi es demasiado dinero,espero que tengas suerte y me des una alegria con tu hack!" necesito mas tasa de bit tambien, 25p y 60p y 24p en cualquier modo!!!

I just bought my Lumix GH2 for me too
    money, I hope you have luck and joy with me a
    you hack! "I need more bit rate 25p and 60p....... and 24p at any
    so!
  • Today finished all internal PTool changes necessary for TZ10 and GH2 support.
    Some more testing will be still required, but it is minor.
    Moving to only actual patches development now.
  • Sounds promising. Is the time consuming/heavy lifting still ahead or in the rear view mirror?
  • >Is the time consuming/heavy lifting still ahead or in the rear view mirror

None of your alternatives.
    Think of it as 15km high mountain covered with jungle and we are somewhere on slope.

Most probably, we'll start with minimal patches set for both new cameras and will progress from it later.
  • Any chance we can start with a basic patch to change language from Japanese to English?
  • Wow, now if only one could find a GH2 in stock somewhere....
  • Wow... GH2 shortage? At this rate... we will have only small group of GH2 owners, and that's not a good news.
  • Donated..
    Thxs Vitaliy! Hopefully you will be able to up the datarate like the GH1 for 1080 24P. I can only wish a fix for the crippled HDMI out.
  • Vitaliy, Hi from Australia.

I work as a freelancer in ENG news and bought one of the only GH2's to land in Australia back in March and decided to use it as an experiment and found it's a tool hard to ignore because of the size, stealth capabilities and ease of use.

With a few extras rigged up it's pretty awesome due to the larger sensor compared to 2/3 Inch CCD ENG cameras, even its low light capabilities are awesome due to the gain up option, it's better than a 5DII at 12,800 ISO with a 50mm 1.8 lens by a couple of stops (GH2 3200 ISO Canon 50mm 1.8 lens)

My Zacuto EVF Pro is due to arrive this week.

I shoot at 720 50P then interlace it to 25i for broadcast at 720x576 16:9 and it looks great but needs higher bit rate, especially with high content moving backgrounds like oceans and trees, grass if panning, it breaks up.

I am very hopeful you can give us a higher bitrate in 720 50p.
    Would also love to see 1080 50P at higher bit rate and 1080 50i at higher bitrate.
    Any chance of more increments in manual audio settings?
    1080 25P at least 24 mps or higher would be good, as long as it's not too flickery.

I know the job you are doing is heavy going and gruelling, sorry to ask but can we expect anything soon and if so, what's on the menu?

Also, any thoughts re the speculation there will be a GH3 announcement by years end?
  • What is this gain up option for low light with GH2?

One thing i'd really like to see with the GH2 is a way to stop the auto focus from time to time, I was hoping that the AF-AE lock button could do what it does in still mode for video. The AF is awesome, especially on the 14-140mm lens, but it does tend to hunt sometimes when it was already nailed on focus. If i could AF, then engage an AF lock until the subject moves enough that i need to refocus then remove the lock and allow the AF to do its thing. How this is not supported at all is beyond me. I presume flicking the focus to manual is a solution but its clumsy and not something i'd want to do a lot of mid shot.

Good luck with the hack!!!