Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • > I can't tell you how many times I pulled the HDMI cable out so I could use that feature

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. During my last shoot we even only had a HDMI cable with bad contact, everytime after pulling it out to check focus (in some scenes that was for every single take) we had to tweak the cable for many endless seconds to get it back to work
  • > During my last shoot we even only had a HDMI cable with bad contact, everytime after pulling it out to check focus (in some scenes that was for every single take) we had to tweak the cable for many endless seconds to get it back to work

The manual is kind of unclear to me (might just be me).

Pg84 (USA): The MF Assist is disabled whe using the Digital Zoom or recording motion pictures.

Nothing about HDMI disabling MF Assist that I could find.

I don't know if this will work - and it's certainly not an ideal workaround - but what if you adjusted the program knob to one of the photo options (maybe C3) to check focus? I'm not sure if the focus will hold when you flip the knob back to film, but if it does, then at least you wouldn't have to remove the HDMI. Just an idea...
  • @v10tdi: I use manual lenses. I usually have the talent hit their marks and then use the focus assist(digital zoom) touchscreen function to get the focus dead-on. Then I mark it on the follow focus. That way at least I know I hit perfect focus through the blocking.

If you have an HDMI output, you can't use the focus assist/digital zoom at all. Even if you have the external HDMI device unplugged and you are in focus assist, as soon as you plug the HDMI device back in, the focus assist exits and you are back to normal view.

@No_SuRReNDeR and everybody else: check out:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212102985500517&set=a.166884470022369.49592.119416331435850&type=1&theater
    and
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212096812167801&set=a.166884470022369.49592.119416331435850&type=1&theater
  • I see that you've changed your last message Svart. But in general, I think the missing features when using HDMI, and also the lack of focus tracking during video, are much more likely to be processing power limitations.
  • another HDMI limitation discussion?

here's the way I see it and future progress in vdslr in general: changes will take place VERY SLOWLY.

it is the way it is. suck it up and move on.
  • Hi Vitaly,

Thank you for your continuing work on the GH2 hack. From what you've seen so far, how difficult will it be to correct the disturbed cadence of the HDMI output so we can get clean 24p out?

Do you feel the HDMI out fix is something we could expect in the first GH2 Hack release?

Thanks again.
  • A friend of mine just bought a GF2 in Singapore and brought it to Germany.
    I saw tonight, that Auto Tracking works in video mode !

I hope this will be possible in the GH2 with the hack then too!

• I totally agree with VMEE! if you could fix the HDMI output to to 29.97 and/or 24p, that would be awesome! Right now, it outputs at 60i which isn't recognizable by WebEx. If you could correct that, I would happily be willing to pay you $200 for the solution. It would change my life!
  • Should I sell my GH2 in order to get the GH17 or should i just wait for the GH2 hack?
  • Hello.
    Thanks again Vitaly for all your work (specially for the european standart...).
    Just added a few $$, always glad to help people to break the rules!
  • Good news that the Z-Finder EVF can do 1:1 pixel zoom when in record mode once the LCD from the GH2 is disabled it can record whatever is on EVF

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/imagevqe.jpg/
  • @KrisCanonizado

No one can tell you that to do. :-)

@Frank

No, I don't have any ideas.

@leoj

I think better place for this info is in Zacuto EVF topic.
  • ok will do Vitaliy , just joined and made a donation , never knew there was a straight EVF topic thanks
  • Hi Vitaly! Just made a contrib... (you really need to add another option- after 7) We 'pros' have had enough time to settle down from FCPX, and now we want DMC-GHX! Seriously fantastic job! Just a question Vitaly... what sort of workflow will we need when working with the HDMI output... (just simple de-interlacing-or something more exotic)... I'm ordering the Ninja for this baby!

By the way Vitaly, if in any way replying to this post stops you from working on code- just don't do it, although, I have worked with professional coders- and you guys need to blow off steam now and again,... :-) (just don't hijack heavy machinery and race it down the road).

(btw: thinking of getting you a t-shirt)

Dear me I am not usually like this... mmm... HDMI... not F$%ked up by Panny, mmm...
    t-shirt-90-hrs-wk-and-loving-it.png
    190 x 190 - 17K
  • Had been testing some more patches today.
    Including bitrate for different modes, progressive encoding in 60i and 50i modes, etc.
    Right now most patches work not extremely good as encoder changes seems to be significant.
    Progressive patches lead to card speed error after very short time.
    MJPEG 422 color patch leads to same distored picture as in G2.

Despite all this problems, new PTool release is not far away.
    I think that it is better to use same old test oriented approach that we used in GH1 case.
  • @ vitaliy: does this mean that the gh2 sensor is capable of outputting 60p- even if it were throught hdmi or faster sd card?
  • @fatpig
    I think that you do not understand.
    First, progressive here means 30p and 25p.
    Second patches fail not because of SD card.
  • Call me dumb...
    So currently no way of changing the framerate of the "higher bitrate" Cine from 24p to 25p? Rather than using the 60i 50i?
    I think if that alone gets cracked then thats one less thing for us PALestines to moan less about ;-)
  • Vitaliy, thanks for clearing that up, i second what mimirsan has asked.
  • Yes, that's the question. Does the sensor actually allow native 25p output same as 24p mode? Or the only resort for 25p is tweaking the 50i mode?
  • Thanks for the update Vitaliy, keep up the great work. I'm also curious about the 25p ability, but it sounds to me we should be patient - every small progress on the hack is a victory :)
  • Hi again Vitaliy...

Can you let us know what sort of priority repairing HDMI output is? I know that you have been working like a machine on getting SD card recording, but external HDMI recording is a very significant and valid solution for both higher bit rate and 422 recording.

Cheers,
    Alex
  • >Can you let us know what sort of priority repairing HDMI output is?

Not top priority.
    As I'll need to fix extreme number of things before it.

P.S. All batteries related stuff moved here - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/323/gh2-problems
  • Remember, if you need GH2 or extra GH2 it is good time to buy them.
    Like this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PANASONIC-LUMIX-DMC-GH2-DIGITAL-CAMERA-BODY-SILVER-/190551656976?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2c5dc38a10 ($850 shipped)

As usual, you could see price hike for Japanese bodies after PTool release.
  • Hi Vitaliy,
    in your "GH2 Improvement", you made a comment: "1080p60 (most probably it is impossible)". Why do you think it's not possible?