Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • hang on though . . . the camera does the desqueeze with these settings, right? Couldn't you do the reverse without an anamorphic to get the bokeh stretched?
  • @driftwood
    This is sounding good ..
    You have probably already thought about it .. I have 2x 1.5x and 1.33x adapters

Kevin
  • yip. unless you like screwing around resizin in post :-) which is pointless.
  • @driftwood
    The anamorphic sizes are useless without anamorphic filters, right?
  • @LPowell re: Quantum anamorphic sizes. I think I'm heading towards;-
    2560x1080 HD
    2160x810 VGA
    Resolution quality looking good. Just finitely tuning...
  • @soru
    Thanks mate! ;-)

@feha
    Excuse me, my explanation was insufficient.
    This patch considers only use of 24p (24H).
    I have not tested yet except 24p of this.

But thank you for trying my patch! :-)

@ishvar
    Thanks for trying my patch!
    Please tell me comment. :-)
  • @bkmcwd
    Will try-out your latest settings soon! Nice footage and data. b.t.w. GRTZ
  • @Hallvalla,
    Please let us know if your new 64GB 97MB/s SDXC card spans with Quantum V2 ?
  • @driftwood

Just opened my Sandisk 64 95MB/s - never thought I'd be excited over a memory card. :)

Loaded Quantum v2 - can't wait to try it out. Thx again.

@Sage

Does your GH2-X patch include Quantum, or is it still SeaQuake?
  • @bkmcwd

tried your patch, write speed error ...
    at FSH 1080i 50/PAL
    iso: 6000
    my card is SanDisk Extreme Video HD / 30mb/s ...
    Lens: DG 25mm 1.4, night lamp only ...
  • @driftwood
    How to get 1080i 50, to not double lines in your patches (need non wrapped, is this possible and how)?
    I would like at least FSH to get 32 mbits stable + your patches that spans ?
  • Where can i find "cbrandins 66mbs/2fps mjpeg settings" ?
    Or any that allows 2fps for timelapse ?
  • @bkmcwd
    thanks! I'll try it.
  • @driftwood
    Yes now intra GOP1 is available @ a lower bitrates i am in! I have two GH2's - one with cbrandins 44mbs/2fps mjpeg settings and one with your latest's GOP1. This is videoheaven!
    The weakest point of the GH2 for me is the drop of sharpness @ 24p when doing slow horizontal panning/steadicam. Many times i shoot these @ 50fps. I am very curious what follows here after the new Panny firmware update!
  • @ishvar it is intentional and dont worry about the drop after a second. It doesnt underrun/overflow and is on par in terms of quality with AQuamotion 2. By reducing the bitrate in the L setting (but not touching the H best quality setting) will drop down to a lower i frame size for spanning and long recording times but still retaining excelent quality and of course INTRA. This finding by @balazer is beginning to prove its worth it seems. :-) Well done to him.
  • @driftwood - did some testing with your latest 'Quantum' ver 2 BETA settings @ 24L this night.
    Now there is intra below 80mbs i am in! Streamparser showed a significant drop in framerate after 12 frames with the 24L settings. Footage looks amazing though - very clean @ 800 iso with my Leica 1.4!
    Thanks again mate!
  • I just tested quantum2 and quality in 24h is same to seaquake. 24L span on Sandisk 30mbs. The mjep I changed to resolution 1920X720 for work on anamorphic lens. But It show weird remaining time on the display screen. Show 2:11 remaining time on an empty 16gb SDHC. But remaining time increases as you go keep recording down to 48sec. Finally it stop recording when video reaches over 2GB. One major thing I think we need to fix is the noise level. iso 1600 is almost unusable. If it is clean noise, then I would be fine but this is unacceptable noise.
  • I did some further testing with bitrates and SD cards today outdoors in daylight shooting freeway traffic and golf course. I used SeaQuake 24H at 166mbs and 24L at 100mbs recording on a Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 card. Both 24H and 24L spanned with no problems. However, the 80% slomo failed. I also tested the same scenarios with a Sandisk 32GB Extreme HD 30mbs class 10 card and the results were just the opposite. 24H and 24L recordings did not span and stopped at 4GB limit but the 80% slomo at 24L 100mbs worked fine. At least for the time being, I can cover all shooting variations using these two cards. Cheers,
  • @sohus glad youre back in action mate. Quantum2 held up on a commercial shoot up north this weekend - and the L setting wasnt bad at all too if you want long durations and spanning. 80% mode in L seemed fine too. But I got to take a look at the graphs to check now... ;-) So in effect you could try out Quantum v2. :-)
  • @driftwood
    Just bought a 2nd GH2 body for a cheap price so I can start testing your awesome patches again. Going to try out Quantum V2 the coming days.

Do I need to use TerrAQuake on Transcend Ultra 32GB class 10 or can I use Quantum/SeAQuake as well?
  • Hi guys!
    Although I was pressed with work last month, I could take slight time to adjust my patches recently. :-)

@driftwood
    Although I could not participate in the test of your patch, I was seeing you doing uncanny work pleasantly.
    Since I understand the meaning of much of your advice recently, I make again the patch which is different from you according to my friend's request from now on.
    Thanks always!

@soru
    Since I repaired the Q18 former patch, please try.
    In order to keep the I-frame size of 1M also at the time of high stress, I had to set Q value to 18.

NOTE:
    In this patch, it is ignored except 24p(24H).

bkmcwd 3GOP Test Patch 11.12.05.zip
    620B
    bkmcwd 3GOP Test Patch 11.12.05.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 194K
    q18_forest_sp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 200K
    3GOP_SHINJUKU.JPG
    1295 x 634 - 177K
  • @driftwood @LPowell

I second LPowell on shooting 2x anamorphic VGA at 2160x810. I like it. If higher res would be possible, then fine, but i suspect not much gain from higher resolutions, so this in-camera solution would be great if optimized.

Like @Oedipax says 30p isn't really interesting for VGA mode. So it would be nice if there could be changes made to the frame rate. Right now i just slow it down to 24p, but of course that isn't a very workable solution when shooting anything else than leaves. :)
    Now maybe the new firmware might make something like this possible? Anyone know already?
  • @kavadni, that's been #1 on my wishlist for a long time. I would love a 4x3 mode for AVCHD. Even to shoot native 4x3 for aesthetic reasons, sometimes. The closest thing we have right now is VGA mode but it's not very interesting to me at 30p.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions