Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • +1 for 720p60 GOP1 at the expense of all else.
  • @driftwood Ok thats good to know I wasn't sure if the 720p mode automatically had a higher bitrate when your patch was loaded. I think I originally set shutterspeed to 1/50 sec so I'm assuming that the camera automatically kicks that back to 1/60 , would that be correct?
  • When you shoot 720/60p with the shutter set to longer than 1/60 s, the effective frame rate is reduced and it records duplicate frames - 30p with each frame twice in the case of 1/30 - 1/50 s.
  • @Driftwood I tested your SeaQuake 24p patch with Panasonic 14-140mm and 100-300mm lenses using a Sandisk 32GB Extreme HD 30/mbs class 10 and Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 cards shooting in normal, EXTC and variable frame rate modes. Everything worked fine with the exception of 80% slow motion that fails after a few seconds with card write error. May be this can be corrected with a frame limit or some other variable setting. Appreciate everything you, Vitaly and others are doing.
  • @Zaven13: as far as I know, it is already done.. Look for the patch named Aquamotion 2!
    80% mode uses 25% more information, so it's only natural it doesn't work on settings which are optimal for p24 for instance..

@bkmcwd: cheers! Will try it out. :)
  • @RRRR Thanks for the response. I am aware of the Aquamotion 2 patch. Call me selfish but I am spoiled by the high bitrates of the SeaQuake. However, I recorded a soccer game pointing to the TV screen in 80% slo mo using SeaQuake averaging 100mb/s and it worked (the bitrate for Aquamotion 2). The one that failed was shooting a golf course during the day averaging 140mb/s.
  • @FGCU

In Photoshop w/curves. Simple as that, I was pretty amazed too.
  • I used his screen grab. Not my shot.
  • @FGCU
    lifting the shadows i guess...
  • @Hallvalla I shot this in cinema mode which is better for lifting those shadows in post. This is a pretty good example where the boom op is pretty much invisible, a 10% shadow lift reveals him, but when you use curves you find a lot more detail in the shot. I double checked my frames on that footage and it did double the frames because I had the shutter speed set to 1/50 ( which sucks, this could have made nice slo-mo footage ) I'm uploading the original 536 .mts file if anyone wants to play with it. http://redantdc.com/dvx/00050.MTS
    raw.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 347K
    10prctshadowlift.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 497K
    curves.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 312K
  • @FGCU, just use the PNG in this thread. Tried it myself in Photoshop just now, lots of detail hidden in those shadows!
  • @FGCU "how did you pull that detail? or is it two shots. that amount of recovery is bordering RAW"

I was just thinking the same thing after a shoot I did yesterday. These codecs now are really like 4:2:0 RAW. Awesome stuff. I wouldn't take another camera over my GH2 now besides a Red Epic.

I'm getting better shadow recovery than even with the Canon XF's 4:2:2 50mb/s codec. Although, the XF's image is nothing to write home about in the first place... but still, this is impressive stuff.
  • http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1530/personal-view-members-collaborative-videos#Item_2

The new INTRA Showreel made collaboratively by personal-view members is now showing here.

Thanks to all.
  • Ok so some testing was done by me regarding spanmybitchup vs. auQAmotion and I have a few issues/questions:

(All testing done with a Class 10 16GB Transcend SDHC card)

With auQAmotion, it will span, but it stops every time at 19:08 seconds, leaving 3:51s left on the card. Looking at the AVCHD folder I see 3 4.67gb spanned files and one ~25mb 4 spanned file. Happens every time. So I'm wondering what's causing the video to stop recording at 19:08 when there is still space left.

Secondly, I decided to try out spanmybitchup for longer recording times, but I'm having issues with it, issues I don't have with the higher quality auQAmotion hack. The issues I get are as I shoot a few clips, I'll be able to review them, but once I've shot about 3-5 clips total, I'll get an unable to read file warning. When I leave playback and shoot again, sometimes I can, and sometimes I hit the record button and nothing happens. Once I get to this point I have to power off the camera. Once the camera has be turned off/on I can resume shooting again, but with the same issues happening eventually.

So long story short, auQAmotion works great, expect the 19:08s span limit, and spanmybitchup has read/lockup issues.

Thoughts?
  • I use Aquamotion v1, and it spans and fills my 16 GB SanDisk Extreme HD Video cards every time. I can only suggest trying a different card or trying Aquamotion v1 instead of v2.

As for your playback problem: stop trying to play back in the camera.
  • @balazer as far as not playing back in camera, ok, but why would the higher quality aquamotion not have issues playing back but the lower quality spanmybitchup does?
  • No idea. These patches push the camera well beyond what the engineers had in mind, so unexplained things happen. Most of us are happy to capture good video, and we don't care if it plays back in the camera.
  • About in camera playback... if a recording won't play, you can try turning the camera off and on then play the clip. This seems to work for me, 720p in seaquake often has this problem.
  • For those of you who want to have the high bitrates of SeaQuake and the 80% slo mo capability of Aquamotion 2, I created a new patch that gives me both. I used Driftwood's Seaquake patch for 24p. I left the 24H value at 166mbs and changed the value of 24L to 100mbs and left everything else the same. I loaded the patch and tested. I get my high bitrates at 24H and I can do slo mo in 24L with no problems.
  • Gonna give it a try!
  • There's a basic and beginners topic here that will have all the info you need
  • @Zaven13 @driftwood
    Zaven, do you have streamparser info from this and/or sample vids. Pretty sure driftwood had looked at this already and there were some fundamental problems with putting one high bit rate patch on H and the other spanning patch on L (That said, if it really does work, I'm curious forsure).
  • @JDN
    I don't have Streamparser but I remember Vitaly mentioning in one of the discussions that you could set one at lower rate. I have done some test shots and it worked great with great resolution. It's easy to test and you should try it for the shoots that you would be interested in. You may be surprised.
  • I'm thinking of using the 30p from the Seaquake 1080i/60 psf. Is the image quality the same as the 1080p24 mode of the same patch?
  • *** BETA *** Driftwood 'Quantum' patch
    A beta patch trying out a few things. AQ4 on 1080p24, 720p60 limits raised slightly for improved i frame size plus AQ3.
    1080p24L lowered to 64M - After one second the frame sizes will drop to around' SpanMyBitchUp' size requested by @balazer; to try out spanning with good quality on the L setting whilst keeping the H setting top quality.
    More encoder adjustments for even better QP.
    1080i theory change (1080i encoders formula = 1080p + 720p encoder values (like stock). Does it improve things?

Let me know how you get on with it. In particular want people who have bought the 95Mb/s sd cards to try 24p out.

Nick

Driftwood 'Quantum' - beta test setj.zip
    811B
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions