Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @wigginjs, just in case you didn't know, you'll get even higher quality 1080/30p shooting in variable 80% mode. You lose audio recording that way though. It spans in Aquamotion.
  • @driftwood,
    is there a chance to get non-interlaced video 1080 50i in your patches ?
  • Hey, been busy last month with a few things... ready to start testing again. Anyways, just loaded the SeAQuake patch and all I get is gray... with blips of blurry/glitch images... but mostly just a gray screen. Is there some playback method or something I've missed?

*never mind

I accidentally patched SeAQuake with PTools3.1

I'm dumb...
  • @bwhitz Welcome back :-)
  • @driftwood Just a heads up that I shot SpanMyBitchUp at 80% (30P) tonight for a wide cam and I am thrilled with the results. I used a cheapo card to see what it could handle, opting to rest the Sandisk Extremes and go with a Lexar Pro, locked in MF and used 800 ISO. Despite a theater shoot with predominantly dark areas galore, I can't find a single macroblock. IMO this is a major, major accomplishment and I'll be testing the Aqua v2 with spanning in similar circumstances soon. Very impressed. Great work as usual.
  • @driftwood

Thanks! And amazing work on the patches! I was almost about to put some money together for a Scarlet, but I looked at my GH2 footage after shooting the beginning of a new project last night... and said screw it. I even pushed the CRAP out of it in post, didn't see any blocking or artifacts, and it retained it's fidelity/sharpness. Scarlet isn't going to make my stuff look much better than this. And it's going to weigh more and be slower.

Amazing work... :) I'll try to do some more technical testing soon. I'm also thinking of doing a GH2 intra grading tutorial... since I just found a way to get great skin-tones with some mid-tone adjustments.
  • Any luck with Transcend 32 gb class 10 30MB and spanmybitchup? Great deals on ebay, 20$
  • Never, never buy a memory card on eBay. You're just asking to get a fake. For SanDisk, you really ought to buy from a SanDisk authorized reseller.
  • @bwhitz "I'm also thinking of doing a GH2 intra grading tutorial..." Please do this ! :')
  • @bwhitz I think that's a great idea too
  • @bwhitz yes !!! please, please ...
  • @bhwhitz Don't want to put more pressure on you but, what the hell, now that you've already put the idea out there, if you don't make that "GH2 Intra grading tutorial" cute little kittens will start to drop dead all over the place. Are you sure you can live with that burden? ;)
  • @atticusd "if you don't make that "GH2 Intra grading tutorial" cute little kittens will start to drop dead all over the place. Are you sure you can live with that burden?"

I can live with that burden... I just don't want to let you guys down. haha.

Anyways... I've never done a tutorial before, so I'll have to do a few tests with screen recording software and such first. But then I'll be good.

Oh, BTW... what are most people using for grading? I can do it in FCP, FCPX, AfterEffects, and maybe Davinci Resolve (but I'm still learning it myself).
  • I have some good Tutorial info here "DaVinci Resolve 8.1.1 Lite, DNxHD and GH-2 footage"

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/26370#Comment_26370

With Resolve 8.1.1 lite being free, Now unlimited grading nodes, and no longer a $500 license to use it with DNxHD its a very high end solution for GH-2 footage. Look for a Windows version early next year.
  • @bhwitz after effect+finesse ftw ;-)
  • @astraban

Sorry... don't have finesse. :(

Anyways, this could probably be it's own topic, so I'll go start a new thread to keep this one clean.
  • @driftwood Looking at some test footage yesterday I found there is still banding issues. This was with SeAQuake. Was a plain wall that was showing the banding. Is this something that is still with us or should I really not be seeing this in these latest patches?

In the meantime, I'm also looking at the chain, as this was done in 5DtoRGB to see if anything is being introduced there.

Also, what is the current software recommendation for checking bitrates? 5DtoRGB was reporting video to be around 143mb/s which I'm guessing is because these were locked off shots with no movement in the frame.

Thanks!
  • @smsjr what settings were you using, iso shutter, etc...
  • @smsjr

Banding is an issue related to 8bit color (As far as I know), and in my opinion it becomes even more obvious with driftwoods latest patch, in some situations. (white walls, flat coloured surfaces..) Is it a reason not to use the patch? Hell no, what one must do is take care to avoid it when shooting. Correct exposure and then change picture profile in the camera if you absolutely need a shot with a problematic area.

Id be very interested in what experience people have from using some sort of diffuser filter to avoid banding, though!
  • @bwhitz please do can't wait..
  • @driftwood Shot at ISO320 (made sure to go from higher ISO back to 320), shutter 50. shot on a Tokina 11-16mm wide angle lens (only lens I had on me) at 16mm. Had an ND3 on it. If I remember correctly I was somewhere around an F4. Profile was Smooth with everything dialed down to -2

I'll try to simulate a similar look and test again to see what I get with various settings.
  • @RRRR Banding typically occurs when you go from higher bit depth down to lower bit depth. For example a 12-bit image to an 8-bit. Generally adding some dithering helps with minimizing that banding. So, perhaps something is going on with the downsampling in camera that is contributing. I'm just trying to benchmark when it will most likely occur so I can plan for it.
  • @smsjr out of interest were you tripod or handheld? And can you post the file to me?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions