Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @paglez Thanks for testing. MJPEG is in its infancy with Quantum tests - hence the beta candidate still :-). I am looking to vastly improve MJPEG - especially chrominance. Not happy with other users eisting settings as of yet. I also need anamorphic users to report favoured sizes.

READ this article about AVCHD interlacing:
    http://go.madmimi.com/redirects/80e98318dfa18c281e32e0418c2faa17?pa=6523362653
  • My first test with New QUANTUM ver 2:
    24 P H: great quality- Less noise than ver 1.
    24 L: No tested yet
    1080i: I can't understand thw right workflow (I think it's a malignant PsF- Premiere 5.5 read the file like interlaced.)
    720 MJPEG upscaled to 2k: Visible noise in chrominance channel. Very problematic to play in my windows players: VLC, Cyberlink and windows media. Only run in quicktime
  • @wigginjs If you are on a mac try ClipWrap - the new version.
  • I just tried changing @driftwood's spammyBitchup from GOP1 to GOP3 and added the 2fps mjpeg settings. In comparing the charts to the KAE July 2011 GOP 3 settings, the main difference (although the i frames are pretty similar) is in KAI's gop 3, there are 3 B frames around 96000 Bytes. On the SpammyBitch GOP 3 change, I frames are similar to KAI's gop 3, but there are no B frames, but instead their are P frames @ around 150,000 Bytes.

Is there a quick read on the effects of I and B frames regarding motion/ no motion shooting? Via wikipedia, it seems that the B frames are smaller than the P frames and that shows in my charts although the footage was not very similar.

Overall files are a little bigger than KAI's july settings (with spammyBitch goverted to GOP3), but still get about 3-4 mintues per gig and footage at first look looks pretty good. Gonna do some more shooting, but would like to figure out if the B or P frames are more desireable and how to get them in or out via the hack.
  • @driftwood, what do you mean by "1080i50/60 25P/30P INTRA in a wrap". Is a 30p stream somehow encapsulated in the 60i encoding? How do you free it? =)
  • @driftwood. Thanks for the update on Quantum v2 beta. Will try it out soon.

I'm assuming the 1080 24p H and L are connected so it would be impossible to use a lower rate GOP3 on the L setting. Am I correct on this?

Also, I have been trying out your spammyBitchup and I was wondering if I just changed the L setting on the 1080 25p down from 66000000 to 56000000 or so, would that work or are there other settings needed to reduce the average bit rate?

For some extended recording time per GB, might I modify spammyBitchup with a gop 3 change only?

Thanks for your sharing and tireless work on the hack and GH2 !!!!!

• *** NEW BETA *** Driftwood 'Quantum' ver 2 BETA ***
    Here's the very latest Quantum beta patch for you to test now incorporating 2K on mjpeg.

Further mjpeg improvements to come. Anamorphic lens users get your requests in for most popular sizes - I need to know if you want the anamorphic container 1998x1080 (ratio 1.85) or 2048x856 (ratio 2.39). Ive left it as container for now.

What's New: Minor tweaks to 1080p24 for AQ4.
    MJPEG test: Reference 2K (2048 x 1152) + 2K container (2048 x 1080)
    Still in: 1080p24 H for high quality pics
    1080p24 L for good quality INTRA with spanning/long recordings
    720p50 INTRA 720p60 GOP3
    1080i50/60 25P/30P INTRA in a wrap

Test away!
    Driftwood 'Quantum' BETA 2 INTRA 1080p24 AQ4 - Spanning on L setting - plus MJPEG - 2K ref + 2K anamorphic settings - setg.zip
    900B
  • Any Clipwrap users/or people with PsF problems? rewrapping 1080i60/50 interlaced footage seems better than ever...its just been updated.

Some rewrapped clips are playing back with stuttering or smearing video when users have Perian or avc1Decoder.component installed on their system. They suggest to uninstall all third party AVC or h264 playback components.

But they seem to work great in Quicktime now.
  • Oh... You may ask what was I recording. I pointed the camera to the TV show that was going on and recorded off the TV screen. There was a lot of movement too.
  • Well Guys... I don't know what to believe anymore. I was sitting on my couch watching TV and decided to test the file spanning one more time. I use SeaQuake patch with 24H at 166mbs and 24L at 100mbs. First I tried my Sandisk Extreme HD 30mbs and it stopped at usual 4GB and did not span. Then I tried to humor myself by putting my Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 with 20+ mbs. Wouldn't you know the files spanned four times and going until I stopped at 19 minutes using both 24H 166mbs and 24L 100mbs with no problems. I know it had failed before but not this time. I checked the bitrates using Slash Lite and they were at the correct bitrate and sustaining. I will try it again outside on Saturday just to verify that this was not a fluke.
  • @shrigg Yes, I'm trying out the Quantum patch. About 1 hr before sundown, I took a drive with 2 gh2's framed similar and all settings the same. Just 2 different lens. I'm going to redo the tests with both 66 and 166mb/s, but the first test today, was 66mbs on one cam and KAI's old 65mbs gop3 on the other. The 2 cameras were framed pretty close and there wasn't any real difference between the two video files and and pixel peeping in photoshop showed them to be very similar. I'll try test tomorrow, switching the lens on the cameras. There are times when I want to film longer form and that is why I'm revisiting KAI's old setting with current ptools. Quantum's 66mbs GOP1 gets me around 30 minutes on a 16gb card. One one segment, I got 2.7 GBS on the Quantum 66 setting @ 24p and on the old KAI setting, I was only 1.5 GB. For some types of shooting, I'd rather have the extra time on a card but I like the low GOP settings so 3 may be my compromise....
  • @jfro The latest Quantum patch has a totally usable 24L 64mbps spanning setting.

@driftwood 24H and 24L files uploaded... nice work man!
  • Has anybody made a similar patch to last July's KAI GOP 3 settings. I still like his patch and am attempting to update it with many of the new features in PTools 363D. Problem is I don't really know what I'm doing so before I try to many more configurations under PTools, I thought I'd check to see if there is a similar 65mbs GOP3 patch.
  • @itimjim have you tried power cycling camera for playback? Sometimes this works...
  • Just to add from the other thread, the 64GB SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-1 (95MB/s) will span SeAQuake. Tried it using Kae's denser death chart and it had no problems recording. Playback didn't work though.
  • @driftwood I'm still struggling to get Streamparser to run on my mac so I'll just send you MTS files for 24H and 24L, now uploading!
  • @shrigg could you streamparser one of your Quantum files and upload to me thanks mate.
  • I shot for a couple hours 24p H on scandisk extreme 30/mbs 32gig card with not one write error. I didn't test spanning or 720p. 24p H looks and works great.
  • I shot a musical performance using the Quantum L setting yesterday, spanned perfectly! Kudos @driftwood
  • @jfro The present L setting in the Quantum beta should be low enough! How low do you want it?!!! ;-) Don't wanna compromise quality. I'm still waiting for @balazer to confirm the L setting as its his realisation that made this happen.
  • @driftwood How you coming with feedback on Quantum. I've got to play with it a bit and the 24p H and L worked in the limited fashion I used it. On the 24p in H mode it recorded ok to a Sandisk Extremee 45/mbs 16gb card, but got write error on the Transcend 16gb class 10 card pretty quickly as expected. In L mode, both cards recorded. Let it run and spanned for about 10GBs. Mainly shot low light non action stuff. Going to do some filming from car to further test. Took a still from the quantum 24p H mode in lowlight and was impressed.

That being said, I'm looking for a solid L setting to drop back to for both spanning and lower bit rate when I have to drop back to say shoot some interviews were the higher bit rates are not needed and sdhc cards/capacity are an issue. I"m not sure GOP 1 is needed for interviews, but if I can afford the disk space, this may work. I'm not a fan of loading new firmware while working/shooting, so looking for the combo that Quantum may provide.

If someone would tell me how to analyze/ test cadence, ie, what to look for, I'd be glad to report back as I'm going to spend some time on my gh2's in the next couple days testing for reliability. I have gh13 streamparser v 2.11, but mainly look at it to see min/avg/max in frames mode.
  • I wonder if there is a way to get more than 10 min of Recording with Driftwoods Settings, already using 32 GB Cards and know that 64GB ones out there.
    But an Adapter or something to Pipe Data from slot to SSD or something would be very Great.
    Anybody knows such a thing? Or do we need to make some DIY thing?

P.S. Hope it's not to much off Topic ^^

Best regards

Dark
  • ...and to add to what driftwood and proaudio said, GOP1 motion helps tremendously when you dolly/slider a complex macro shot. I shot his Seaquake settings when using the 45mm Panny/Leica over a box of jewelry (lots of detail) recently and the difference between the footage and that of other 66mb settings I used a few months ago was tremendous.

Cudos to Driftwood and GOP1 Seaquake.

Can't wait for Quantum! (if it is better than Seaquake - I could care less about spanning and video length) Woo!
  • @ka00 At the moment seaquake is best, but when Quantum is released everything will change.
  • @driftwood Thanks so much for your tireless efforts at making incredible patches! I have been using the amazing reAQuainted. But I've lost track, is seAQuake the current pinnacle of quality for 24p?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions