Personal View site logo
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • Just for fun, i made a wish-list for what could be upgraded in the D7000 for serious still photography, no movie-, HDR nor other consumer stuff in this list.

https://docs.google.com/a/roos.tc/document/d/1aW7zk-s-Z7t0YY5UXCgyfTAt1g7GYdkVfZ2W9RuYsSE/edit?hl=en_US
  • @bleach551
    Yes, it's only the D5100 that lacks support for AI-S manual focus lenses. I'm hoping it may be possible to unlock this D7000 feature in the D5100 as well.
  • @Vitaliy,

"The UHS-I (ultra-high speed) speed class allows for up to 104 MB/sec transfers, and the D7000 supports UHS-I cards."

This sounds good to me, But what does this mean for it Hack-ability?
  • @John_Farragut,

@Lpowell

You can change the Aperture when using the D7000 , If you use Manual focusing lenses with manual apertures that have been entered into the one of the 9 data storage slots for "Non Cpu" lenses on the camera. And I believe as of firmware 1.02 you can even change the aperture with CPU autofocusing lenses as well.
  • @John_Farragut
    My understanding is that the Nikons' inability to alter the aperture of the lens while in Live View mode is due to a hardware restriction imposed by the mirror lock-up mechanism. Like most DSLRs with built-in mirrors, Nikon's Live View mode was added as an electronic alternative to the optical viewfinder and the two systems are not seamlessly integrated together. Since the mirror must be locked up in Live View mode in order to shoot video, you cannot use viewfinder features while recording.

That limitation makes the D7000 quite awkward to use as a video camera. Since it lacks the D5100's articulating LCD screen, the only way you can monitor the D7000's screen is to position it a few inches in front of your face. When mounting the D7000 on a tripod, you really need to connect it to an external monitor.

The D7000 records in 1080p only at 24p, while the D5100 also records at 25p and 30p. However, I discovered that the D5100 will not output a video signal to a monitor while recording in 25p or 30p modes, only in 24p mode. So basically, if you use an external monitor with the D5100, it doesn't provide any more functionality than you get with the D7000. While the D7000 practically requires an external monitor, the D5100 works more flexibly without it.

Unfortunately, the D5100 has its own set of limitations. In addition to its semi-manual exposure control in video mode, the D5100 will not allow you to use the manual aperture ring on Nikon AF-D lenses. (However, the D7000 does work with aperture rings, so it's possible a firmware patch could enable the D5100 to do so as well.) As it lacks the D7000's internal focus motor, the D5100 cannot auto-focus AF-D lenses - it only auto-focuses with AF-S lenses. And since most AF-S lenses lack manual aperture rings, they can't be shared with the GH2. In practice, I just use my Nikon AF-D lenses in manual focus mode on both the GH2 and D5100. Vintage AI-S manual-focus lenses are not usable on the D5100 since its exposure meter will not work with them

Even if a hack cannot provide increased video bitrates, both D5100 and D7000 would benefit from having their mutually exclusive firmware features unlocked. The D7000 needs 25p and 30p video modes, and the D5100 needs to support aperture rings and manual exposure controls. It would also be useful to add the D7000's auto-focus fine-tuning adjustments to the D5100 - this would improve the accuracy of the viewfinder's Focus Confirmation feature.
  • @Vitaliy
    Oh, so there's a free version? Hmmm, sounds a bit 'worrying' that he wouldn't have checked that himself.
    But thanks for the info Vitaliy. :-)
  • @ThorRubin

He don't need any $500. And I clearly told him this.
    As Fijitsu FR processor module can be made to work with IDA Free.
  • I was already thinking about picking up a Nikon 35mm F1.8 for my GH2, so having choice in body is good.
  • Mmm. If one could add setting aperture during recording and a slightly higher bitrate to the d5100, I might pick one up. I might even be interested in a Nikon J1 if it could do 24p, 25p in higher bitrate.
  • I am a Nikon fan and would love to learn what the D7000 is capable off. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
  • Simeon has put up a donate page, saying he'll continue his firmware efforts, if he can raise 500$ for "Ida Pro" (whatever that is). :-)

• My only missing for d7000 is the lack of ability to change aperture during video recording :| why i can't focus at f1.4 to a close subject and then pass to f11 and have the perfect background in focus? If i can i will help developing plugins.
  • considering that the D7000 is UHS-1 compliant- this should mean that VK could leverage at least 50MB/s + out of this camera! Thats the same and higher than Scarlet X... looks like its going to be one hell of an A cam next to the GH2!!!! But remember that considering what Lenses you like to use, (and the mythical Samyang Cine Kit 2012) a Nikon mount is ONLY a Nikon Mount :-( While a m43 is ANYTHING... (unless you decide to carve off the front of your cam... it can be done!)

What a year 2012 is going to be!
  • This news is the only reason to think about buying Nikon again. I love the lenses and use them on canons and on my GH2 but their lunch has been eaten by Canon for some years now. They,nikon would be smart to help VK but smarts aren't running the companies. But I'm hoping
    thanks VK this is great news
    A potential buyer of Nikon There is many of us.. is there anybody out there NIKON hello
    LukeV
  • yeah, pure awesome. i donated, too
  • Awesome! You guys rock, so I just donated and start dreaming about manual control in video mode for the D5100 maybe some day :)
  • I am in for a donation if we can get D7000 video quality increases - don't own the camera yet but I know the sensor is capable of incredible dynamic range and low light quality. It is a monster for stills and Nikon lenses with aperture rings are cheap.

Best of luck!
  • OMG!! dreamin of some added magic to the d7000. definitely would contribute some money to that. Even if it doesn't mean a new firmware tool for Nikon cameras, great job Vitaliy on the decrypt!
  • @Driftwood,

That would be really awesome!
  • Hmmm, another new interesting development. If Vitaliy's gonna spend time on it, I'll defo develop some patches. The D7000 looks excellent in low light already. :-)
  • OMG Finally! I'd love to see stuff for my D7000, I'd gladly donate when something final comes out :D
  • @alcomposer i understand. just throwing that out there.

This has to be one of the biggest needs of the pro community, though. Bypass h.264, using a clean hdmi signal to a Atomos or Ki Pro Mini, and you're saving many many filmmakers from having to bump up to a Red Scarlet.

It would change everything.
  • Does this mean we're going to need a new donation button for Nikon support? *wink wink* ;)
  • @cowboycoffee hold your horse's... this has ONLY just been decrypted- now comes the fun part for VK to work out exactly how everything 'likes' to work... (at least with the GH2 he had a 'bit' of an idea because of the GH1)

Then again, knowing VK- and the fact that he has been a little absent on PV lately - he is probably already adding patches for the D7000 for release in the next PTool. :-D
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions