Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer, that would be a very intriguing finding. It's great that the personal-view community is making discoveries like this possible.

Thanks again for the chart referrals.
  • @Huckster I am beginning to believe that larger Sandisk cards are very stable, while smaller ones aren't.
  • Thanks @alcomposer!

The 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/sec card survived @Kae's Pappas and @Stray's 3 death charts at @driftwood's seAQuake Intra 1080p24.

Not a hitch in 60 second recordings at 320ASA.
  • 79e08da4dae9d445734b214f4fa06a.jpg
    1920 x 1224 - 2M
    807a5b22808a52964e5cc483394d4c.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    72365bf882cfc8cf57d666c66081c0.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    9f31e6ae03a05240e04342b3a3f194.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
  • I've been using the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/sec card with no issues at all. 2 of them, actually.

It's all been real world use though, no death charts yet.

Could someone post their most challenging death chart? I'll shoot it with seAQuake Intra at 1080p24 and report back.
  • @FGCU, there are several reports of people having problems with the Extreme Pro 45 MB/sec cards in the GH2.

If having a recording stop is such a disaster for you, then why don't you back off a bit on the frame size limits and bit rates? I challenge anyone to see the difference in a 15% reduction.
  • @FGCU ok. I was not talking about the 8gig 30MB/s... only the 32gig, I should have been clearer!
    Chances are that they use different memory!

This is why we have to be very clear in the future. The 32gig 30MB/s Sandisk HDVideo is the best card currently: IE: Death Chart will NOT make it crash.
  • I have two 30MB/s San Disk cards that can't record GOP1 past 9 or 10 seconds without returning an error. I have a 32GB card (non hd-video) and a 16GB card (hd-video). I've ordered yet another 32GB card from B&H and will test that. I'd try a 45MB/s or faster card, but there seems to be mixed feelings about them.

I feel like I'm missing out on the fun ;-)
  • This is quite strange- I have the EXACT card and won't go past 6 seconds with a high bitrate patch!
    Just for a laugh- when did you get your GH2?

Also- can you let me know what 30MB/s card you have?
  • @FGCU - I don't know- maybe you have a bad 30Mb/s card. I have filmed extensively "on set" and I appreciate your concern, yet my 45mb's (I have 2) both crash out after 6 seconds on leaves or lots of action (and definitely the Death Chart). Whereas my 30Mb/s are rock solid!

I would look into this... Can you post the EXACT models that you have? (there are quite a few).
  • @FGCU have you read the thread: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards

I will be clearer: UHS-1 cards WILL work on GH2- but not in UHS-1 speed. The GH2 is not UHS-1 compliant. So even the newest 95MB/s UHS-1 cards will not function at that speed in the GH2.

This is also why we have to test every card because what is happening is that the 'fall back' speed of the memory can be totally independent to the UHS-1 speed ratting. For example the 30MB/s UHS-1 cards are most probably the EXACT same card as the 30MB/s non-UHS-1 cards.

For some reason the 30MB/s cards (HD VIDEO) work faster than the 45MB/s Extreme Pro Cards.

I have the 8gig 45MB/s Sandisk and it dies on PuppasDeathChart every time, yet the 30MB/s doesn't!

Please read these forums before posting.

• @kanintesova "bits are DATASTREAM (from one source to another) = speed. But byte is the storage on media. We need to keep this clear."

Not true at all. A bit is a binary digit, and a byte is 8 bits. Bits and bytes can both be used to describe amounts of data or data transfer rates. Bits. Bits per second. Bytes. Bytes per second.
  • @Driftwood seAQuake is freaking brilliant. You and Vitaliy make the GH2 a genuine joy to use, thank you! You'll both be in the credits of the short film I'm shooting for a friend on Sunday. I was at the local rental place today, rented a FigRig . . . actually a great little contraption. Anyhow, I was drooling over their Zeiss SuperSpeeds, wishing I could afford to see your hack thru one of them. (Mebe I'll go in and pretend to be seriously interested and ask to test them out ;)
  • @driftwood;
    Your "seAQuake " is verry verry Good
    Thanks for your work!
  • @driftwood. A big thank you for your work. I just bought a 2nd GH2. Been using my 5D mII as my A cam and gh2 as the B Cam. Going to now use the 2 GH2's as A cams and let the 5D mII become the B cam. Your work on the settings for the hack is very much appreciated. Thanks again.
  • @FGCU @CurtisMack @driftwood Thanks for letting me know that it records longer than 3mins just wanted to verify it so it's definitely something with my card than. Driftwood thanks for the new patch lol... that was a good one, but you know I'm sticking to my SeAquake.. Gonna get some new cards like the new 95mb/s the 45mb/s class 10 16gb not working for me. @Jspatz reports that the GH2 is spanning the files with the 95mb/s card I'm doing the shuffle now ;) I know you gonna go to work with this update driftwood. VK thank you for all the work you did with the hack.
  • "@alcomposer

@Jspatz I hate you that you share this with us on a SATURDAY, and I can only buy online on MONDAY.... Not happy... (PS: @Driftwood has had his on order for 2 months now... so I can't complain!)"

My cents:

Science has to be limited by corporate corporations - this is the new deal. ;) And christian values... Why not open saturdays like Internet, ha ha. Cheers mate!

I have sarcasm but look stupid now ha ha

my pysch says i'm crazy! love!
  • I tried to get a second one for Monday for a shoot, but B&H was only promising Tuesday delivery.
  • @Jspatz I hate you that you share this with us on a SATURDAY, and I can only buy online on MONDAY.... Not happy... (PS: @Driftwood has had his on order for 2 months now... so I can't complain!)
  • @alcomposer
    So far perfect. The camera reports a capacity of 50 minutes and 41 seconds.
  • @perder but still it is measured as bits if in a stream and bytes if stored on media. That's the thing. very off topic for low GOP but please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • @perder oh yeah... sorry- fixed post. :P
  • @alcomposer Mibibytes are hardly NEW, but very overlooked, yes. Also, You note the distinction between MB and mb, though technically a small m prefix is milli whereas the big M is Mega, so to be extra picky, it's MB and Mb, or perhaps Mbit to be more precise.
  • @Jspatz sorry to use you as a poster boy, but have just created this new thread:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports

In my view - we should move the discussion of Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s spanning to there. (suggestion)
  • @alcomposer

Hmm, we are back to Einsteins quote. I guess we will find out in hindsight. :) Just go forward all of you! NO LIMITS! ;)

hardware is the limit... But maybe like with analog gear you can trim that too!!!? :)

do some of you guys remember when we could dial phone numbers by just clicking the "on/off" button on analog phones. This was possible before. ha ha Offtopic sorry!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions