Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Seaquake spans beautifully on Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95mbs card. Bitrate at time of crossover was 150mbs. Game over?
  • @Jspatz

That sounds great. What do you mean by "game over" - that the spanning issue is cured with such a card? Where can we find it and how much is it? Have you made any more tests?
  • @Jspatz
    If it turns out that the new 95mbs cards allow spanning, then it looks like I am going to have to spend a bit of money on some of those.
  • Why do you think this is? Is it that some buffer has to be written to the card? If it spans with a fast card, then it can't be internal buffer? What you think?

Maybe some cue/meta/info? (<---------- I realize now that such data would be very very small sorry)<br />
    So maybe for "slower" cards, would it be possible to use the recording limit, to slow down data rate just before spanning? I mean just before it hits the limit it slows down? And then spans? Ha ha this sounds crazy, but I just use my fantasy. Now you technichians step in... :D

Ok, maybe a few secs of lower IQ but hmm.... well

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ;)
  • $199 at b&h. I have been testing every way I can think of an so far bullet proof. Even plays back in camera.
  • @FGCU
    >as far as I can tell the 8GB 45mb/s card from SD is the fastest most reliable card for the GH2

I have this card and Sandisk 32gig HD Video 30Mbps. By FAR the 32gig card is more stable and MUCH higher write speed on the GH2.
  • @Jspatz

Are you sure that this card work correctly after a long time of recordings in several conditions?
    It would be convenient to check this card before a purchase decission
  • I should buy all the expensive stuff ;) Even top notch cameras! Ha ha, just kidding, but this sounds good - but too pricey for my little purpouses... :)

I'll just stick with what is: but really interesting how card write has to do with spanning. Should look into it you guys!

(I need to feed my cat she's getting fat)
  • @paglez
    So far so good. I recorded a straight 22 minutes spanning 6 files. I tried high detail and motion as well as noise, all with 20mm pancake. Shot some at high shutter speed also. Let me know if there is something in particular you would like me to try. If something goes bad, I will report it immediately.
    PS B&H, as well as Amazon are pretty good about returns, but check their policy before you order.
  • @FGCU
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards

The 45Mb/s card use UHS-1 which does NOT work on the GH2 - this has been extensively covered.

Also, MB/s= Megabytes per second, Mb/s= Megabits per second.
    8 bits in 1 byte
  • @Jspatz sorry- your discovery was lost in all the noise... you telling me that you have the HIGHEST settings of driftwoods Intra and they are SPANNING, and not even 1 frame is dropped???

(Don't tell @driftwood this- he will have to stop working on MJPEG and start ALL over again on AVCHD!) He won't be happy until the GH2 has a higher bitrate than the ScarletX!

How long does a 64gig card get you? Should get us 60mins right?

EDIT: noise is not a bad thing- I just didn't see Jspatz post... :\
  • @alcomposer:

"Also, Mb/s= Megabytes per second, mb/s= Megabits per second.
    8 bits in 1 byte"

This is kind of true! Always a lot of confusion!

bits are DATASTREAM (from one source to another) = speed.

But byte is the storage on media. We need to keep this clear.

@alcomposer:
    (Don't tell @driftwood this- he will have to stop working on MJPEG and start ALL over again on AVCHD!) He won't be happy until the GH2 has a higher bitrate than the ScarletX!

So now he knows

(and I understand what you mean by "noise" in this thread, but it is not important you think?) cheers!
  • @kanintesova actually - remember that there is also the new Mebibit and Mebibyte:

The megabit is closely related to the mebibit, a unit multiple derived from the binary prefix mebi (symbol Mi) of the same order of magnitude,[2] which is equal to 220bits = 1048576bits, or approximately 5% larger than the megabit. Despite the definitions of these new prefixes for binary-based quantities of storage by international standards organizations, memory semiconductor chips are still marketed using the metric prefix names to designate binary multiples. (WIKI)
    ***Same for Megabyte and Mebibyte***

So we are all still wrong- and Sandisk is also wrong. :-D
  • @alcomposer

Hmm, we are back to Einsteins quote. I guess we will find out in hindsight. :) Just go forward all of you! NO LIMITS! ;)

hardware is the limit... But maybe like with analog gear you can trim that too!!!? :)

do some of you guys remember when we could dial phone numbers by just clicking the "on/off" button on analog phones. This was possible before. ha ha Offtopic sorry!
  • @Jspatz sorry to use you as a poster boy, but have just created this new thread:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports

In my view - we should move the discussion of Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s spanning to there. (suggestion)
  • @alcomposer Mibibytes are hardly NEW, but very overlooked, yes. Also, You note the distinction between MB and mb, though technically a small m prefix is milli whereas the big M is Mega, so to be extra picky, it's MB and Mb, or perhaps Mbit to be more precise.
  • @perder oh yeah... sorry- fixed post. :P
  • @perder but still it is measured as bits if in a stream and bytes if stored on media. That's the thing. very off topic for low GOP but please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • @alcomposer
    So far perfect. The camera reports a capacity of 50 minutes and 41 seconds.
  • @Jspatz I hate you that you share this with us on a SATURDAY, and I can only buy online on MONDAY.... Not happy... (PS: @Driftwood has had his on order for 2 months now... so I can't complain!)
  • I tried to get a second one for Monday for a shoot, but B&H was only promising Tuesday delivery.
  • "@alcomposer

@Jspatz I hate you that you share this with us on a SATURDAY, and I can only buy online on MONDAY.... Not happy... (PS: @Driftwood has had his on order for 2 months now... so I can't complain!)"

My cents:

Science has to be limited by corporate corporations - this is the new deal. ;) And christian values... Why not open saturdays like Internet, ha ha. Cheers mate!

I have sarcasm but look stupid now ha ha

my pysch says i'm crazy! love!
  • @FGCU @CurtisMack @driftwood Thanks for letting me know that it records longer than 3mins just wanted to verify it so it's definitely something with my card than. Driftwood thanks for the new patch lol... that was a good one, but you know I'm sticking to my SeAquake.. Gonna get some new cards like the new 95mb/s the 45mb/s class 10 16gb not working for me. @Jspatz reports that the GH2 is spanning the files with the 95mb/s card I'm doing the shuffle now ;) I know you gonna go to work with this update driftwood. VK thank you for all the work you did with the hack.
  • @driftwood. A big thank you for your work. I just bought a 2nd GH2. Been using my 5D mII as my A cam and gh2 as the B Cam. Going to now use the 2 GH2's as A cams and let the 5D mII become the B cam. Your work on the settings for the hack is very much appreciated. Thanks again.
  • @driftwood;
    Your "seAQuake " is verry verry Good
    Thanks for your work!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions