Personal View site logo
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Testing Requests
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • @AKED

Hopefully this covers everything you were curious about! I tested every 12mm variation except for the prime!

Gimbal vs gimbal with dual is, and then handheld, and then handheld stabilized.

There's a Vimeo link in the description to download the original

• Just finished shooting a stabilizer and lens test with the GH5!

Tested using a DJI Ronin-M and Handheld with body/lens stab on and off.

I tested the following lenses against each other: 12-35mm f2.8 MK1 12-35mm f2.8 MK2 12-60mm Leica f2.8-4 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

I'll be putting it together as soon as I can this evening, but I think everyone will be really surprised with how well the GH5 handles and what a difference the Dual IS makes on the Ronin-M

• I'm not sure you can have Dual IS with the old 14-140, but I'm sure it will not be Dual IS 2. Many people forget there are 2 'Dual IS' generations. So the new lenses will have the newest version of Dual IS, named Dual IS2. For the older lenses there is Dual IS 1. I'm not sure the 14-140 mk1 / mk2 will be supported for Dual IS1 or Dual IS2 (with update). Good question Nic.

• I didn't have any older lenses to test except the MK1 version of the 14-140 and the focus transition pulls were equally as smooth as the brand new 12-35 f2<<

Is it possible to have Dual IS with the old 14-140 zoom right now? Or does it need an update?

• Thank you Tyler, interesting discoveries you're sharing. Like the smooth AF with the old 14-140.

When thinking of an ISO DR, noise test, I think also about how the camera compresses the video. At what shadow depths does macro blocking becomes a problem? Are there settings/ profiles that help with that? I believe this is the area where 10 bit and / or and external recorder shines.

Thank you again for testing and exploring.

• @tylerknight ,Thanks, I'm waiting your video shots. If you can upload them to we.transfer.com or any other transfer site it wold be fantastic.

• @konjow I can definitely do my best, but the AF is nowhere near what the final model will be. I have tested it a bit and found it a bit better than GH4, but the final firmware is going to be way above and beyond that.

• @tylerknight Can you do please AF test GH5 with 12-35 v1 with moving camera around (aka event). It would be good in HD and UHD to see the difference. Indore light more low light - real life situation with same perspective objects if possible to see hunting improvement. Thank you

• @anti12

I didn't have any older lenses to test except the MK1 version of the 14-140 and the focus transition pulls were equally as smooth as the brand new 12-35 f2.8 MK2 and 35-100mm f2.8 MK2, so it's promising that all older lenses will perform equally in that regard. I tested 5 different lenses and the performance wasn't different between any of them as it is a controlled environment. Obviously AF speed of these lenses would be different, but since you are selecting the focus points there is no other factor than the camera itself changing the points.

• I need some advice on how best to showcase ISO between GH4 and GH5 and G85

The video I uploaded was apparently not a great representation so I need to re-do that !

In order to keep exposure accurate, I will either need to close down aperture or use ND filter at higher ISOs obviously using f22 to keep exposure accurate at 12,800 will reduce the quality due to diffraction, so what I ask is what is the best way to show the ISO. A lot of videos show over exposure which doesn't accurately show ISO values. We need to know what the camera can do when exposing a shot properly

• 180fps 1080p test with GH5. Handheld with 100-400mm Leica Lens and 12-35 mkii f2.8

Will compare gh4 96 to gh5 96 in a test this week.

@tron Let me know if this is up to your liking or if you need more.

• @eno

That's no problem at all! I will try and set up a scene today and get you some screenshots :)

You're wanting video screenshots though correct, not photo?

• @tylerknight, What I meant is a side by side, same image from GH5 and the Gh4, like this:

Side by side.jpg
    1597 x 974 - 698K
  • @Ralph B

Unfortunately the Anamorphic 4/3 mode on my particular test model isn't working properly so I can't help you with that test but hopefully one of the other testers out there posts some examples for you! Mine shoots okay, but the recorded file is just a mess of colour and digital artifacts ( just a firmware glitch as mine was one of the early ones)

• @Cas1

I have a real estate video shoot on Wednesday and am going to try and replicate the EM1 mkii comparison video you posted but compare the G85 to the GH5 in both 8 and 10 bit. From what I've managed to test so far, the shadow detail in 10 bit is quite amazing. I was able to raise the shadows significantly and the noise is more than useable! Will get you some samples asap!

• @aked

I can definitely do some photos in daylight with no makeup, but unfortunately there is no RAW support for the GH5 so I can only provide JPEGS. They are not a good representation of what this camera can do as it is pre=production so keep that in mind. The noise reduction on the jpegs is a bit heavy currently.

• @eno What do you mean by side-by-side? As in both full screen scaled to 50% so they fit on the same screen? I can't upload the original files unfortunately as they are quite large with the 150mbps codec. I could upload the exported video to be downloaded as it looks very much like the original raw footage.

• @tylerknight Can you do portait photos in the daylight with no makeup and provide .jpegs and. Raws for download, so one can judge the skintones? Thanks

• @tylerknight , thank you very much! Can you please edit the same scene side by side with both camera (for a better comparison) and then upload the original files on a transfer site for better judging the quality?

• @tylerknight Would love to see something similar with less optimal lighting. Your sample looked pretty good there was another video posted that the GH5 compared to GH4 did not look so good. Even high ISOs in good light tend to look decent give them more challenging lighting and they show more of there flaws.

• Thanks @tylerknight Oh, and I vote cropped version.

• I'm going to re-shoot that video above actually, using 8bit for both to make the comparison fair, and I forgot to remove the GH4 marker for the 12,800 iso!

Spent the day shooting some stuff testing some of the features

• I've removed the video as it was assumed that I was trying to get noise out of the camera, but was really a showcase of the dynamic range and colour cast changes as ISO goes up.

I will re-do the test with uncontrolled lighting to compare the two cameras.

• @tylerknight PM sent. Thanks, not easy to explain. In short, I want to manually set the initial focus, but have CAF take over subsequently when I disengage AFL (release the AF/AE Lock). With the GH4 I can do everything except manually override the AFL when CAF is set. More details in the PM.

• @apefos it can record UHD 24p at both 8 and 10 bit!