Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Testing Requests
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • Can Variable Frame Rate (VFR) mode be used with Cinema 4k in the 24hz mode? If so, what are the frame rates available?

• @philiplipetz

So are you wanting to compare to GH4 in that regard then? The noise is very much reduced from the GH4. Is that the control you would like me to base it from?

• How about the ability to manually adjust focus using the lens focus ring when both AFL and AFC are engaged? My GH4 allow AFL will lock focus when AFC is set, but I cannot manually adjust the focus. I'd like to AFC ready, but use AFL + manual focus to set the first focus point precisely. Then, I just remove my thumb from the AFL button to let AFC take over.

• Tomorrow is testing day just to keep everyone in the loop :)

I will be starting from the start of the list and working my way through one at a time. If I can't test it I will let you know.

Going to be a busy day ;)

• @tylerknight...cool video you posted, great shots. I liked the 100-400mm hand held shot and was wondering if you'd have the time to throw that lens and the GH5 on some sticks with all the stabilising turned on and see if the stabilising behaves its self with the GH5, especially if its locked off as well. Thanks.

• @tylerknight, can you compare gh5 with the original 12-35mm f2.8 vs the mk ii aka dual i.s. 1 vs dual i.s. ii? Does it make day and night different? Thanks

• @Mckinise I can confirm that there is VFR in cinema 4K mode 24hz. Only in 8bit 100mbps 24p.

It has the following framerates available: 2/12/20/22/24/26/28/36/48

• @v10tdi

I have tried several different ways but it doesn't seem that this is possible.

Do you mind sending me a message explaining more in detail about what you're wanting it to do so I can send it to Panasonic engineers!

I know I usually use AF to set my first point, and then switch to manual after it starts recording but I think you're wanting something different. Let me know because I'd love to find an answer for this for you!

• Can record in UHD 24p 3840x2160 8bit 420 or only 10bit 422 ?

• @apefos it can record UHD 24p at both 8 and 10 bit!

• @tylerknight PM sent. Thanks, not easy to explain. In short, I want to manually set the initial focus, but have CAF take over subsequently when I disengage AFL (release the AF/AE Lock). With the GH4 I can do everything except manually override the AFL when CAF is set. More details in the PM.

• I've removed the video as it was assumed that I was trying to get noise out of the camera, but was really a showcase of the dynamic range and colour cast changes as ISO goes up.

I will re-do the test with uncontrolled lighting to compare the two cameras.

• I'm going to re-shoot that video above actually, using 8bit for both to make the comparison fair, and I forgot to remove the GH4 marker for the 12,800 iso!

Spent the day shooting some stuff testing some of the features

• Thanks @tylerknight Oh, and I vote cropped version.

• @tylerknight Would love to see something similar with less optimal lighting. Your sample looked pretty good there was another video posted that the GH5 compared to GH4 did not look so good. Even high ISOs in good light tend to look decent give them more challenging lighting and they show more of there flaws.

• @tylerknight , thank you very much! Can you please edit the same scene side by side with both camera (for a better comparison) and then upload the original files on a transfer site for better judging the quality?

• @tylerknight Can you do portait photos in the daylight with no makeup and provide .jpegs and. Raws for download, so one can judge the skintones? Thanks

• @eno What do you mean by side-by-side? As in both full screen scaled to 50% so they fit on the same screen? I can't upload the original files unfortunately as they are quite large with the 150mbps codec. I could upload the exported video to be downloaded as it looks very much like the original raw footage.

• @aked

I can definitely do some photos in daylight with no makeup, but unfortunately there is no RAW support for the GH5 so I can only provide JPEGS. They are not a good representation of what this camera can do as it is pre=production so keep that in mind. The noise reduction on the jpegs is a bit heavy currently.

• @Cas1

I have a real estate video shoot on Wednesday and am going to try and replicate the EM1 mkii comparison video you posted but compare the G85 to the GH5 in both 8 and 10 bit. From what I've managed to test so far, the shadow detail in 10 bit is quite amazing. I was able to raise the shadows significantly and the noise is more than useable! Will get you some samples asap!

• @Ralph B

Unfortunately the Anamorphic 4/3 mode on my particular test model isn't working properly so I can't help you with that test but hopefully one of the other testers out there posts some examples for you! Mine shoots okay, but the recorded file is just a mess of colour and digital artifacts ( just a firmware glitch as mine was one of the early ones)

• @tylerknight, What I meant is a side by side, same image from GH5 and the Gh4, like this:

Side by side.jpg
    1597 x 974 - 698K
  • @eno

That's no problem at all! I will try and set up a scene today and get you some screenshots :)

You're wanting video screenshots though correct, not photo?

• 180fps 1080p test with GH5. Handheld with 100-400mm Leica Lens and 12-35 mkii f2.8

Will compare gh4 96 to gh5 96 in a test this week.

@tron Let me know if this is up to your liking or if you need more.

• I need some advice on how best to showcase ISO between GH4 and GH5 and G85

The video I uploaded was apparently not a great representation so I need to re-do that !

In order to keep exposure accurate, I will either need to close down aperture or use ND filter at higher ISOs obviously using f22 to keep exposure accurate at 12,800 will reduce the quality due to diffraction, so what I ask is what is the best way to show the ISO. A lot of videos show over exposure which doesn't accurately show ISO values. We need to know what the camera can do when exposing a shot properly