Personal View site logo
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Testing Requests
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • @anti12

I didn't have any older lenses to test except the MK1 version of the 14-140 and the focus transition pulls were equally as smooth as the brand new 12-35 f2.8 MK2 and 35-100mm f2.8 MK2, so it's promising that all older lenses will perform equally in that regard. I tested 5 different lenses and the performance wasn't different between any of them as it is a controlled environment. Obviously AF speed of these lenses would be different, but since you are selecting the focus points there is no other factor than the camera itself changing the points.

• @tylerknight Can you do please AF test GH5 with 12-35 v1 with moving camera around (aka event). It would be good in HD and UHD to see the difference. Indore light more low light - real life situation with same perspective objects if possible to see hunting improvement. Thank you

• @konjow I can definitely do my best, but the AF is nowhere near what the final model will be. I have tested it a bit and found it a bit better than GH4, but the final firmware is going to be way above and beyond that.

• @tylerknight ,Thanks, I'm waiting your video shots. If you can upload them to we.transfer.com or any other transfer site it wold be fantastic.

• Thank you Tyler, interesting discoveries you're sharing. Like the smooth AF with the old 14-140.

When thinking of an ISO DR, noise test, I think also about how the camera compresses the video. At what shadow depths does macro blocking becomes a problem? Are there settings/ profiles that help with that? I believe this is the area where 10 bit and / or and external recorder shines.

Thank you again for testing and exploring.

• I didn't have any older lenses to test except the MK1 version of the 14-140 and the focus transition pulls were equally as smooth as the brand new 12-35 f2<<

Is it possible to have Dual IS with the old 14-140 zoom right now? Or does it need an update?

• I'm not sure you can have Dual IS with the old 14-140, but I'm sure it will not be Dual IS 2. Many people forget there are 2 'Dual IS' generations. So the new lenses will have the newest version of Dual IS, named Dual IS2. For the older lenses there is Dual IS 1. I'm not sure the 14-140 mk1 / mk2 will be supported for Dual IS1 or Dual IS2 (with update). Good question Nic.

• Just finished shooting a stabilizer and lens test with the GH5!

Tested using a DJI Ronin-M and Handheld with body/lens stab on and off.

I tested the following lenses against each other: 12-35mm f2.8 MK1 12-35mm f2.8 MK2 12-60mm Leica f2.8-4 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

I'll be putting it together as soon as I can this evening, but I think everyone will be really surprised with how well the GH5 handles and what a difference the Dual IS makes on the Ronin-M

• @AKED

Hopefully this covers everything you were curious about! I tested every 12mm variation except for the prime!

Gimbal vs gimbal with dual is, and then handheld, and then handheld stabilized.

There's a Vimeo link in the description to download the original

• Yes, thank you very much for testing. Very interesting.

• @tylerknight Some more questions:

What SD cards do you use? What UHSII cards can be used? 150 MB/s or are 300 MB/s needed?

What is the filesize? In my GH4 a 4K file of 1 Minute is about 800-900 MB large. How large is a 1 Minute 4K 50/60p file of the GH5 (h264)? And in comparison a 1 Minute file in 6K file in h265?

Does it make sense, to cange an old 12-35 lens Version I to the new 12-60 2.8-4?

Thanks for the good work

• @AKED

I actually use The SanDisk Extreme Pluss 80MB/s UHSI for everything. I have shot every single mode with them and had no issues whatsoever! 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 150mb/s no issues!

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-1-Memory-SDSDXS-032G-X46/dp/B00D6Y0U8E

I would say the 12-35 and 12-60 are different beasts. The constant f2.8 aperture is a requirement for some, as the 12-60 is f3.8 at 35mm so that's something to consider.

As far as optics go the 12-60 is obviously a much higher quality lens due to being Leica designed, as well as being solid metal and feels amazing.

I will have to get back to you on file sizes!

• I think a lot of people here wants to see which is the concrete difference between dual is v1 and dual is v2, since Panasonic "decided" not to firmware upgrade the first generation of lenses - such as the 12-35 mk1- leaving them with dual is v1 only. Testing and comparing footage of 12-35 mk1 vs mk2 on a gimbal can give us an idea, but I would suggest to do the same test with handheld shooting, if possible. So we can finally know if we can keep our beloved old lenses and take advantage of dual is as well. - edit: I saw your clip, and you did an handheld comparison. So what is your impression, is there a visible difference between dual is v1 and v2?

• as I know 12-35 v1 will be updated which is the main good move from Panasonic I hope that good AF will not be mostly marketing thing.

Panas IS.png
    1840 x 1066 - 653K
  • @konjow I knew same news, but I looked at

around 27:25 and discovered they changed their minds.

• hm ...Hardware??? Thanks for info @davjd . How could I be so naive! They discovered this now? Im out.

• Ok - if I look at that list above the old 14-140/F4.0-5.8 Mk1 isn't mentioned. So, no chance for Dual IS1....!?

• I've also been looking at this list, http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/dual_is.html - which I think is up to date

• @davjd - thanks for the link, but what an odd way to present data. No lens in the chart has an "NG" value (Unworkable) and there is no indication of what the "-" dash means. Perhaps it means they haven't settled on a firmware version? Or that it is not workable...which is difficult to do with a single compatibility column (and two versions of DIS). Ugh.

• Here's a direct comparison of the MK1 and MK2 version of the 12-35 lenses.

I used a Ronin-M again and did a running test to really get the stabilizer working hard. I think the Dual IS 2 is the clear winner in the test, but let me know what you think!

I am going to put a handheld one togehter shortly, but it will be short as I just had to send the lens back to Panasonic!

• @tylerknight Great news about the SD card and thanks for your evaluation about the lenses. Looking forward about the file sizes. Thanks for doing all the work.

• @tylerknight Thanks for the slow-mo footage in std profile! Compared to 8 bit v-log samples I've played with, these seem much more solid.

If you have a 10 or 20 second long original file you can drop somewhere for download that would also be appreciated. Trying to see how far I can push the native file with CC (120P or 180P). Thanks again.

• For the focussing testing:

• @cas1

It is topic to post only requests and such, is this video for similar purpose?

• Yes, to pour it into a question:

Can you please test the different Continuous Auto Focus tuning settings? Can you compare this to other camera's? Help these settings enough to do interviews with a shallow depth of field? (like Philip Bloom has been testing).

I've heard the current firmware version is 0.5 so I wonder if this already works, or will we have to wait before this can be tested.