Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • I am not sure if it has been covered, but the color shift seems to be a nuisance for me because I shoot plenty. Reviewing and fixing each one is time consuming.

Is there a way to change the hard settings in the firmware?

I appreciate everything.
  • Hi,

any prediction about high-fps (like 200fps) - movie-mode?

would be great :-)
  • AF-Tracking working in video mode would make GH2 a monster.
  • I realize that focus speed was discussed earlier, but the Light Speed AF that has benefits to still photography is problematic with video recording. It seems that if the entire operating speed of the lens system were slowed when the camera was recording video, it might be more video lens like. Reducing the frenetic focus hunting and iris light level bumps that occur on the 12-42 and 14-140 Panasonic lenses would seem to be a logical result of reducing Warp Speed AF to One Quarter Impulse Speed AF.
  • Some items mentioned elsewhere:

IDynamic controls
    More options for Fn Button assignments
  • In this thread and others we've heard the request for live view out over composite while recording several times. In Vitaliy's last response he mentioned it has been discussed before, but I can't find a definitive response in this thread or in others. It seems this feature may be possible with a hack but in Vitaliy's opinion it is not in demand enough to pursue further. Is this basically correct?
  • IDK if this has been stated but my GH2 send audio out through the HDMI
  • The main functional reason to work on the hdmi output seems to be to avoid the in-camera recording reverting to 1080i when connected to a monitor..
    Or is there a way around that already?
  • Regarding the IExposure dynamic range enhancement issue:
    As far as I understand, it works by underexposing the image and then lifting the darker areas up.
    There´s some algorithm that checks if the actual scene has a determined level of contrast and if that´s true, it activates the IE mode.
    What we would like to get is having full control over the IE level and getting it to work in full manual mode.
    We can´t make the full IExp. function available in manual mode because it is unable to underexpose the image if we have the full control over aperture and shutter speed. That´s clear ;)

So wouldn´t the best approach to the problem to remove the contrast-check (because we want to control the effect) and then change the way IE works so that it does only lift the dark areas up, but does not underexpose the image to give us the ability to underexpose manually?
    I don´t know if this will be possible for you, maybe it is ;)
  • @Vitality

I tried the forum search function and google but no results found regarding the GH2 Bulb Mode limit. I discovered the bulb mode limit last night accidentally and it sadden me a little cause I also use my GH2 for stills - I naturally gravitate toward the two extremes of stills being time-lapse and long exposures.

If the censor can record for 30 minutes and longer (to my understanding), will you not be able to extend the GH2 bulb mode for stills photography? I am not sure about the ins and outs of the software or the hardware and how it will affect XYZ.

Thanks again for the work you have done and are doing.
  • @Inprogress
    Mainly all of the 'hacking' has been done on the Video side (apart from adding language).

I don't think that any 'photo' modes are going to get a look in that much.

For bulb mode there are plenty of 'photo' only cameras out there, I own a Nikon D300 which has a nice bulb mode- it also feels different for photos- and they are a good price nowish. And if you have invested in Nikon lenses- (like most have for the GH2- or should) then you can use them on the Nikon Camera.
  • Hi,

I'm a professional packshots photographer and most of the time I use a GH2 in my little studio : no need more.

Unfortunately I discovered big restrictions with GH2 HDMI out and external screen HDMI in !

In the user guide (p158 - French version), Panasonic don't really explains how many items are locked when you plugged an external screen to the GH2 via HDMI, in fact there is just one sentence wich speak about it ... Restrictions are not listed !

Why a photographer wants to use an external monitor with the GH2 ? Because there's no tethering mode ... And it's the easiest way to work when you have to photograph small objects.

At this time I have found 13 items locked or retricted ; and some of them are not anectodic like Aspect Ratio locked at 16/9 only !

Some links to pictures are joined to this post for more details ...

An example of my work made with the GH2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/def13_marseille/6223265540/in/set-72157626223946590/

GH2 with external screen plugged (7" HDMI in/out 1920x1080 monitor)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/def13_marseille/6256980716/in/set-72157626223946590

Detail of the external screen
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/def13_marseille/6256450573/in/set-72157626223946590

All the items locked (sorry it's in French)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/def13_marseille/6256981364/in/set-72157626223946590

Here is the french story of what I have noted : http://www.forumlumix.com/t76342-gh2-hdmi-out-gros-bridages-cruelle-deception

I don't know with Panasonic didn't wrote something more detailled in the user guide. And my best dream is they correct it (or part of it) in a new firmware ... But I'm not sleeping, and that's with I wrote this message : I hope you will fine something to unlock some items mainly Aspect Ratio ...

I was a GH2 enthousiastic user but now I'm really disappointed : why Panasonic locked these items on there high end product while Canon, Nikon or Sony don't !?

NOTA :
    I have phoned to Panasonic France to speack about it ... My interlocutors were really nice but nobody have found Lumix division or photographic division in my country !!! Too bad.

Thanks for your incredible job and your incredible hack.

François Deretz aka Def13
  • Hi, nice to be here.

For the GH1/GH2 I'm hardly missing one feature: write permissions on the SD-card over USB!

I really love these cameras for its photo and video functionalities, especially with the firmware hack – but I like to delete files via the PTP mode or the PC-mass storage device mode. In both cases the flash memory is read-only.

This option would be so great to have since it's a criteria for long term remote operation. I did not find anything about this issue around here, so i ask:

Would the delete-over-USB-option be principally possible to realize?

Thank you!