Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • I ment it purely from the results, disregarding internal or external recording.

• new V Log L footage from our main man Nick Driftwood.

• got a message from B&H late yesterday after my order. They indicated that the cards would likely ship late Sept (estimated backordered until then). B&H is consistently the best in my dealings.

• It would be nice to see panasonic make V-log for G7 for 99$

• One thing that is interesting is to see is detailed histograms and banding after grading. As if underexposed (as many samples here), VLOG must be not really much better, but worse.

• so correct VK, I'm I the only one not impressed with final image quality from few VLOG tests we seen so far?

• I would like to see a comparason of graded V-log footage compared to proper exposed natural setting. Once in a normal scene and then in an extreme bright/dark scene

• I like the Arkterics vid, good looking highlights, color and noise handling.

• Can anyone who has used the v-log update comment on whether it allows you to monitor video using a different color profile in camera while recording v-log to card?

• Like I said; re-my nonstop giggling - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/204357#Comment_204357

.....It's a different animal. 90% of peeps will have no idea how to use it and will get shitty results... You cannot shoot as if you are still shooting linear video. Without a LUT based monitor to correct the image u will have zero idea what you are getting unless you are proficient with a handheld meter. So either add a monitor that allows you to input LUTs and/or a meter to your pre-order, and then find some instruction on how to use the meter. Or forgo V-log. It's not for you.

In addition, I love the the way V-log looks on the monitor, it makes me nostalgic for the way film used to get displayed on the old video assist monitors back in the day.

• @shian Can you post a short scene, correctly shot with V-log and then well corrected? I am really interested to see a result near the optimum.

• As soon as I get it on my cam, yeah. Panasonic has not seen fit to give me an advanced copy. I guess my reputation as a volatile voice in terms of how I honestly feel about a product scares manufactures. They don't want me reviewing anything before release, cuz I can't be bought like some of those other "sponsored" cats.

I'm speaking from my experience with log in general. But as soon as mine arrives and get the chance to play with it, I'll absolutely post the results.

• .....It's a different animal. 90% of peeps will have no idea how to use it and will get shitty results... You cannot shoot as if you are still shooting linear video.

And how you must shoot?

Without a LUT based monitor to correct the image u will have zero idea what you are getting unless you are proficient with a handheld meter. So either add a monitor that allows you to input LUTs and/or a meter to your pre-order, and then find some instruction on how to use the meter. Or forgo V-log. It's not for you.

Here you mean monitor used during shooting?

I also do not fully get obsession with meter here, as by idea with LOG (intended for future grade only) you need to expose highlights as close to 100% as possible (unless you really want some special grade with blown out highlights), and cameras have good tools for it.

• Thanks @shian, I was afraid of not being able to monitor without a LUT, so I'll probably hold off upgrading until I have a better monitor.
    I've shot a lot of s-log using the the F55 and FS7 and am used to having LUT display.
    To piggyback off of what you said I have a feeling we're about to see a lot of poorly exposed and white balanced videos with terrible or no grading.

• @Vitaly_kiselev You have to have a monitor that can display LUTS to really know what you're shooting, other wise you're just guessing. Even if you're exposed and white balanced correctly it's harder to pull focus with log because the image looks so low contrast.

• @VK yes the monitor used during shooting. You have to completely ignore the LCD, or any linear monitor not running a cineon correction LUT. We used to ignore the video assist because it lies. We had to trust the meter.

I have a feeling the in-cam meter will lie to you as well. If @driftwood has it, maybe he can shoot some gray card brackets like these http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/67029#Comment_67029 and show everyone just where everything gets mapped to in terms of exposure.

• @sihian Thanks. Looking forward to see what will be possible.

• The $500 Blackmagic Video Assist (monitor/recorder) is supposed to be able to toggle back and forth from "film" (log) and "video" display modes. I wonder if that would be an effective way to help monitor exposure on the GH4 while shooting in V-log.

• You have to completely ignore the LCD, or any linear monitor not running a cineon correction LUT. We used to ignore the video assist because it lies. We had to trust the meter.

I still don not understand, just switch monitor to false color mode, and it must be enough.

I wonder why you need LUT enabled monitor, as on stage they are used with LOG or raw to show how approximately end result will look. Not for some exposure suggestion. Or I am wrong here?

You have to have a monitor that can display LUTS to really know what you're shooting, other wise you're just guessing. Even if you're exposed and white balanced correctly it's harder to pull focus with log because the image looks so low contrast.

Well, idea with LOG is to put as much DR as possible, so it is must be more easy to expose with it, not more hard.

Follow focus troubles can be real, but adjusting contrast, sharpness and focus assist can be enough.

• Switch to FC mode.... good luck with that.

it's gonna be an avalanche of underexposed footage, just like when the GH4 first came out and everybody was setting their profile flat

• Switch to FC mode.... good luck with that.

@shian How about telling me that can be wrong exactly?

it's gonna be an avalanche of underexposed footage, just like when the GH4 first came out and everybody was setting their profile flat

Can you explain how it will happen?

1. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/204409#Comment_204409 Last paragraph

2. what u see is not even close to what you get. Too many people will not be able to correlate between the camera appearing to be able to see into the shadows just fine with perfect noiseless clarity, and the reality that they are grossly underexposed.

• Wouldn't it be simple for Panasonic to add a soft button to toggle a LUT enabled view in the update?