Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • Here are two more screen grabs to show the settings I used in one of the samples of nick driftwood in Avid Media Composer 5.5.5.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 1.38.04 AM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 1.38.12 AM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • I'd be curious to see how much noise in the shadows on the under exposed shots you get doing it that way. I'm exporting video clips to see, but so far this stuff is just way too easy to grade.

This shot is indicative of what I expect many users to deliver. https://farm1.staticflickr.com/626/20969187248_766d1fbe0b_o.jpg

All those shadow areas can't be recovered. It'll look like it's exposed fine, but if you try to lift those shadows and put them in the same exposure field as the rest you'll get some nasty noise. You pretty much need to let those fall into blackness.

The advantage of the extended DR in V-log isn't so much in terms of exposure, but in falloff.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.38.45 PM.jpg
    2323 x 1307 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.39.11 PM.jpg
    2323 x 1307 - 758K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 11.59.52 PM.jpg
    2324 x 1306 - 793K
  • Time to go to sleep, till tomorrow.

• @ Shian....might have to rethink the external recorder thing on this one ( ordered the Shogun 3 days ago)...I believe, from what Iv'e seen you do, this is the combo we've been waiting for and I'm curious as to where you take the image!!...Impatient for this update now!!

• @shian,

here the first one.

shian test 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 564K
  • @shian,

and here is the second.

shian test 4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 467K
  • @ shian,

another quick and dirt.

shian 5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 443K
  • Here's an ACES treatment. No "grading". Just math. V-Log/V-Gamut to linear, scaling, and linear to Rec.709.

image image image image image image

(Delete the attachments, if you want, Vitaliy. I moved the photos to Flickr)

Image3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 591K
    Image1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 461K
    Image2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 405K
    Image5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 692K
  • @balazer,

That math looks pretty darn good.

• I'm about to fall asleep at my computer. I'm going to have to say goodnight and god bless.

• On Illya Friedman's pre-production v-log-l the histogram in camera showed clipping to occur when starting to climb the right hand side, so maybe it won't be too difficult to expose without a monitor which accepts LUTs.

As Panasonic are now adding a log profile, what would be needed to add variations of that profile?

If Panasonic are listening to their users... what would be needed to create a v-log that uses the full range of the camera, what could we ask for, from them, to help them?

It's obvious that they want a log that will match the Varicam and it looks like the v-log-l does that, unfortunatly at the expense of 8 bit, could another version maximise gains from internally shot log?

Maybe Panasonic don't want users to get their fingers inside their cameras? But as noted elsewhere the v2.3 software shows potentially a location where other activated items might go..

Activation list.jpg
    255 x 154 - 50K
  • @Shian As good as the Shogun footage is, I am still wondering what you can do with the GH4 recorded internal 8-bit.

• @mckinse Well, I've already pre-ordered my update, so as soon as it gets here and I get a chance to shoot some stuff I guess we'll know.

• @Mckinise some internal low light footage.

• @matthere Sorry, but to my eyes that Evening Walk video doesn't look very good at all. The shadows certainly do not show much dynamic range and the color grading often shows traces of the telltale gray cast of unprocessed log footage. Without access to an original file download from Vimeo, it's hard to evaluate the quality of the original footage.

• @LPowell just a sample of internal footage I came across, there doesn't seem to be much internal footage around.. especially for download, like you say.

I hope that's not it.. as far as log development.

• @LPowell, @matthere: I don't know why the most of the GH4 users make such a grading (even on v-log) which still remains kind of flat. Maybe the reason is to keep that dynamic range too much obvious. Therefore almost every graded footage looks like a reportage video material, not cinematic, like a movie production. The most of the motion pictures have highly contrasted look that gives the cinema look and doesn't destroy the dynamic range.

For me, this grading looks much more cinematic (sorry for the boast):

• seriously?

• you guys waste a lot of time on something that is going to be released soon. Go play outside or something. A couple more weeks and you can test vlog like crazy.

• Multitasking is easy these days :)

• @shian, I presume you denoised those clips significantly? The originals are so noisy that I’m thinking of investing in the full version of Resolve or in Neat Video. I know they’re underexposed to begin with, but with 400 as the base ISO I’m not expecting cleaner shadows than what we currently get.

• @rwriter nope - no need.