Personal View site logo
Portable gimbals for GH4 / A7s cameras
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • I'm digging the all new Pilotfly "Transformer" H2! :o

Highlights are:

. Weight appox. 1200g (including battery) / Dimension 370 x 190 x 190mm . High pay-load (brushless) motors (Max. motor payload up to 2.2kg) with integrated encoders . 32bit Alexmos with Triple-MCU technology . Tool-less design . Quick-release plate . 360° Yaw (no limitation; without having to worry about damaging the cables) . 4-way joystick . Detachable handle (detach the handle and easily exchange it to extend your operation time) . 3 x ¼“ screw holes (one on each side and at bottom of the handle; for mounting other devices, like an external display or a microphone) . 5 pre-configured profiles (Follow Mode, Pitch Lock, Full Lock, Follow Roll and Home Move) . Auto-Invert-Mode (all profiles can be also used in this condition) . Roll axis 180° turnable to mount cameras with flip screen ( :D YAY! ) . Integrated 4S Li-Po battery with an operation time up to 26h (14.8V 1800mAh) . Integrated Bluetooth module for remote control (RM-01 remote controller is coming soon)

They've got -15% pre-orders going on, to be shipped end of the month. More on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/pilotflytech , sales site: http://copter-rc.com and YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Yanherlin/videos .

12642562_956124861129942_2593761395833995947_n.jpg
    823 x 960 - 16K
    H2T.jpg
    1587 x 1080 - 125K
    T1-Handle-4-1200.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 55K
    H2_1.jpg
    1587 x 1080 - 82K
  • I have no idea of weight limit, with very carefull balancing the GH3+12-40mm olympus+ arca swiss style QR plate combo works, but I don't think if would work well with more weight. probably well suited to a a6000/6300 and lightweight lens. Some results with 14-42 OIS kit lens :

• @Adam_Mercier, that gimbal supports a monitor or an additional tablet, which is the weight limit?

• after some more tuning and more importantly balancing i'm quite happy of the results, especially with the 14-42 II lens with IS. I had to unsolder the IMU to add some spacers to balance the pitch axis with a quick relase plate. The two control knobs work well but are quite sensitive, maybe some more tuning can solve that (ACC and angular velocity are programable on the controller) image

• My gimbal arrived (with taxes) Good quality product, the pitch motor seems a bit too small, I cant find proper tuning for this axis. results are good with the 20mm panasonic, but a wider lightweight lens would be ideal.

• Slow motion on the Beholder MS-1.

• Super cheap one selling since january : http://www.amazon.com/Happymodel-Universal-Handheld-3-axis-Brushless/dp/B019PTJLJ2

photo from amazon

I ordered one from aliexpress for 275$ without battery, I don't care if I have a few hours of PID tuning to do at that price!

• Beholder copy? They look very similar.

• Wieldy gimbal

zebra234.jpg
    800 x 638 - 40K
  • Beholder MS1 vs. Nebula 4000

Cons: Only two profiles for work, joystick works at both. Less space behind the camera, but ok for most autofocus lenses.

Pros. Works out from the box, no need calibrate, just 5-seconds gyro calibrating. I like its factory calibration more than my Nebula, where I made it with privet technician 5 times. About 4 hours netto working time. Brutto it's almost 10 hours. Cheap replaceable batteries, you always can use second set. Beholder branded standalone charger for batteries and same batteries you can buy from aliexpress. 17$/24$. Very strong motors!!! It holds weight much more than Nebula. You can now make some manipulations with a lens or camera's body and Beholder MS1 not go crazy. Real life experience with heavy lenses like Nokton 25 0.95, Olympus 75 1.8 (Nebula can hold it only with huge vibration, not for real shooting) Joystick. I found it very helps for some situations.

Its 8 bit system makes me feeling of 32 bit I tried with another gimbals. It's faster to take Beholder from the bag and start shooting. You even can put you balanced camera on Beholder to its bag or your backpack without disassembling. At that case beginning of shot will start after few moments (now I think it very useful at vocations too). It's very compact at bag. Calibration gyro (5 seconds on table) is only maintenance you need do if you put lenses with very different weight. Big USB on the handle used for small USB light (included) and as charger for mobile phone (you can use it instead the cameras LCD)

• Thanks for the FAQ.

• Tabulations of One-Handed 3-axis Gimbal Systems. Join anyone interested. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/single-hand-gimbals

• This was my first test with the Beholder (Steadyshot was on). from 0:55 i am running

but now i have a problem when i power off the gimbal

• I've had my eyes on the beholder for awhile. Very good choice of batteries. Those are the ones allot of people use for extended multi flights. 2C rating, in other words very slow discharge. Just be careful if you feel too much heat especially if you are using allot of weight. Would definitely like to see someone running with this rather than just walking carefully as if they were using a non stabilized camera. balancing could probably be achieved with the gh4 combo he mentioned with some minor diy mods.

• Pilotfly H1 with GH4 12-35mm (Portrait supertones setting)

Out of the box, quick balance, quite a windy and high-contrast day - some overexposed shots for sure. The 'dolly' shot with house in background has slight post stabilisation because of microjitters. PIDs from pilotfly seem to have sorted those out since then. Some of the shots are at 35mm and still look good. The shot in the barn is what I'm most excited about because you have that added level of polish and control - it lifts it from a home video to 'cinematic'. The tilt up/down button is going to be a useful tool, very smooth and with a bit of practice should be precise too. Can't wait to use it for a wedding. Critiques and feedback very welcome.

• Hey Guys,

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Beholder gimbal mentioned in previous posts. Almost bought the Nebula 4000 Lite, but then found Dave Dugdale's review and he mentioned the Beholder that was at NAB this year. He will be doing a review at some point of the Beholder, but I don't know when that will be. Attempts to get a response from Team Rebel Design who make the product have not been successful, which is obviously worrisome...

• @Queena_Allen

I think you are affiliated, as you can't "just read" due to your post in April.

• I just read an article from cinema5d introduced a brand new handheld gimbal for a7s and panasonic gh4-MOZA Lite:

http://www.cinema5d.com/5-affordable-gimbal-stabilizers-cheaper-dji-ronin/

• These last two gimbals have an attractive price, but it would be nice to see test with them.