Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @DMZ very interesting indeed :)

• Oh yes, the camera5d review is a bad joke. the author must have been drunk. I sell my GH4 and all the lens stuff for the nx1 and I'm really happy now. no juddering ois lenses, great aps-c fullsensor readout without cropping, a wonderful autofokus, very clean video with nice colors and whitebalance out of box, a fantastic tilt oled lcd and so on. For all this stuff, I can live with the rendertime for h265 to prores. I don't understand, what does he mean with "absolute useless for video" ???

• The bummer is it would be nice to know real dynamic range from an unbiased or at least reliable source. Either way the camera seems like it will make may people more than happy even if the people are not strictly "pro videographers". I bet a few of those types of professionals will like it as well ; ) Plus when it doesn't sell as hope for Samsung will either lower the price and/or hopefully add some features like rack focus speed and flat/log profiles. Just matter of time before they put this sensor is a sub $1000 camera body with same 4k video quality - that would make a great second and third camera.

• About the Camera5d review, most funny thing is Andrew Reed which is a fucking clown with no spine whatsoever taking advantage of the conjecture (smart-ass, that is what he's good at) trying to sound impartial and unbiased; just fucking LOL... in my dictionary there's nothing more dangerous that someone who has the skills (does't imply having an engineer degree, which is the case) but absolutely ZERO ETHICS at all

• On the other end, if you put the Camera5d review and all the comments together, you can gather useful information from it. And the entertainment value is a bonus :).

• @DMZ that's the wiser's way - with both hands (twisting the neck of knowledge) :P

For people who has the Nx1 and don't want to use either Samsung soft or hybrid, here's another free app (also invoking ffmpeg) to convert to h264 or proRES - direct download link -- http://www.mydiyworld.net/?p=1805&aid=1815&sa=1

What this software can do?
    * Can convert multiple source movies.
    * Can set target directory where the converted files will be created.
    * Can encode to H.264 or ProRes 422 Proxy, LT, SQ and HQ codec.
    * Can resize the 4K source to 1080P or keep the original resolution.
    * Supports one or mutlitple files Drag & Drop. If a folder is dropped, it will be used as “Output Folder”, otherwise all MP4 files will be added in “Source Files” list.

Source: http://www.mydiyworld.net/?p=1805

PS
    If by any chance you'll use hybrid, for downscale purposes use bicubic spline not lanczos and remember with Karl's script you can get proRES444 output (slower 'cause only working in kostya)

• Very questionable review. Bad methodology and poorly defended as well. Don't know why they have a hard on for the NX1. Sure got eosdhd pissed off though!

ps, where is Adam Wilt when you need him?

• @ maxr Have you tried that software yet? Wondering if it gets terrible render times. I'd rather not pay the $ for wondershare unless I have to.

• @brianl I installed it to compare it with hybrid's IQ and render times (though hybrid does literally a myriad of extra things, i.e. convert colour matrices). Unfortunately although I got it running, couldn't make it process the files, some conflict (probably over my win ffmpeg libraries' mess) but I'm on a mac running this with wine. Anyway as I don't even have Nx1 and use hybrid, won't waste any more time with the app.

Something that has been consistent throughout all NX1's 4k videos I've seen - and not surprising to photography oriented folks, as samsung NXxxx series and lenses have been know for exactly that - is its formidable capacity of rendering fine detail. For me sometimes distracting, like a thousand little daggers cutting away their path to my brain :P

I currently testing gradeability and own cooking recipes in 1 shot I've downloaded from IR. Will post result

• It's clear from the Cinema5D samples comparing the NX1 to the GH4 that they screwed up the black levels so badly that

• they obviously don't know what they are doing or they would have spotted this and
    • any tests they did are completely useless
  • SOUNDTRACK Awesome JP Cooper - Colour Me In Gold
    for the amazingly live Mahogany Sessions

Thank You to Image Resource for providing samples

INFO:
    * Downscaled to FHD proRES with Hybrid
    * No added sharpening, grain or noise reduction
    * Graded with home-brew BDA-HC_07 & BSC_HC-64 LUTs in prememé
    * Uploaded proRES to YT

I'll probably be posting some BDA-HC (Butt Dialled Ademosine - Highlight Clip) LUTs I've puked in the LEP thread, soon =)

• I've been acclimating to my NX1. The screen and evf are stunning. I cannot imagine why cinema5d would say the evf is unusable. I see no ghosting whatsoever. It's also, contrary to the review, simple to place the camera in video mode. Easier than gh2.

Dynamic range is also another strong and surprising point of the NX1 for both shadows and highlights. The amount of detail retained in what looks like overexposed or underexposed areas is impressive when post-processing the RAW files. Dynamic range can be really good for JPG files as well.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/12/10/a-camera-bursting-with-potential-samsung-nx1-first-impressions/

premium8.jpg
    800 x 533 - 171K
  • Again info on the shutter noise:

"The first is the shutter sound–a very quiet and discreet ‘thud’ that is pleasant to the ears. Actually, I’ll go as far as to say that I love it–it is audiable but at the same time people around you won’t hear it. There is also an electronic shutter option that uses an electronic first curtain and a second mechanical curtain. The sound difference between the two is negligible."

Color/noise-wise, the stuff I am seeing from the NX1 looks really good... what truly worries me is the dynamic range. Yes the camera5d snobs trashed the dynamic range of this camera, but also other reviewers had criticism: the video material and even stills all looks much too contrasty for my taste. Qutie an interesting piece of equipment tho, to keep yer eyes on... here is more geeky info about the camera: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/27/photokina-interview-samsung-nx1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech

• Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of a new short film created by renowned actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt and his open collaborative production company, hitRECord. ‘In a City’ was shot entirely in 4K Ultra HD(UHD) on the Samsung NX1, the new premium mirrorless camera, and depicts diverse perspectives of seven cities from across the globe. The actor and his global team of cinematographers capture the essence and stories of their home cities, set to the backdrop of a powerful crowd-sourced soundtrack.

“This emotive short film is testament to both Joseph’s exceptional talents as a director and the outstanding technology within the Samsung NX1,” said Younghee Lee, Executive Vice President of Global Marketing, IT & Mobile Division at Samsung Electronics. “The NX1’s advanced features make it ideal for filmmakers in search of a camera with 4K UHD capabilities, to wow their audiences with exceptional beauty and clarity in every shot.”

The Samsung NX1 majors in two key areas - features and image quality - and backs them up with excellent handling and customisability, solid build quality, and importantly a very reasonable price tag for everything that's on offer. It's not only one of the most full-featured cameras around, but also one of the best APS-C cameras in terms of image quality, hitting the sweet-spot of high-resolution stills with great low-light performance and 4K video recording.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx1_review/

premium18.jpg
    800 x 532 - 64K
  • I am sorry to have to say that the above Joseph Gordon-Levitt's short film is so bad that I could not make myself finish watching it. It demonstrates that in lousy hands even NX1 can create bad movies. The shaking made me nauseated and the color grading is out of this world (this is not a compliment).

If this would be the only video I have seen, I would stay from NX1 miles away and bought something else. I am glad I already have the camera.

Samsung, I am sure you had good intentions hiring Joseph Gordon-Levittt to showcase the camera capabilities, but in my eyes, it backfired.

OK, this is my personal view only - I am perfectly OK with many of you liking it as a great artistic expression. The narration is cool, though.

• OK, this is my personal view only - I am perfectly OK with many of you liking it as a great artistic expression. The narration is cool, though.

:-) Nothing is perfect.

I am also going towards NX system, but did not get NX1 yet.

• Just read this post:

"It would also be nice to have a 10bit 422 recording profile, given that those settings are native to h.265 compression and don't require to fork the codec. "

Is this something Samsung "could" do in a firmware update?

Does anyone in our community have any contacts at Samsung?

• Is this something Samsung "could" do in a firmware update?

Usually encoding is made mostly in hardware, so the won't add it in firmware.

• Vitaliy,

So I guess we wait for the NX1 Pro or NX2 ;)

What are your thoughts on this as a video camera?

• What are your thoughts on this as a video camera?

It is very good photo camera with video.

Thoughts are good. Actually, Samsung have best amateur lenses lineup and they are small, high quality and quite cheap.

Biggest complains on Samsung forums are for 16-50mm price at $1000 :-) Well, you do not have stabilized zoom with F2 on wide end on other systems, and even F2.8 are really expensive.

Premium primes lineup are delayed if I understand right, so 85mm are waiting for pals. Hope we'll see them soon.

In the future we'll see new bodies, NX400 for starters, if they will do same quality recording and add some way to attach mike - it can become affordable 4K camera of choice.

• The NX1 has a 3.5m mic jack and headphone jack. So far the worst thing about it is, as others say, some of the functions disable in video mode. For example, I like to be exact with rule of thirds and the 1/3 grid disables in video mode, so does the marker for the spot meter. Auto focus is limited too in vid mode. Zebras are weird and don't make sense to me. Hope firmware will fix.

• @brianl

We already said here that Samsung software and firmware are special thing :-) Specific to large Korean companies where developers sometimes work in management chaos.