Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • H.265 is no problem. I remember when GH1 hit the market and the hack was developed. Most people bitched and cry about AVCHD with its strange file system. now is normal.

Transcoding is a thing of transition or just taste.

This camera if hacked or exploited to its maximum limit could be a REAL game changer. Not only it has the capabilities to overcome competition by far but....I mean, fuck it's their first pro camera model. Samsung is learning fast and it seems to me they like this fast pace good results engineering model. Seems to be good communication between departments and likes.

Personally I don't like the mount of this camera. It's strange distance between sensor and mount. But the rest is getting really interesting. Even the lenses are quiet impressive.

Time will tell. I dont see this guy exiting the market as one hit star. Expect NX1MKII with all the sauces you like.

I was considering the gh4 now this motherfucker make my choice harder.

Damm firmware update. You shure ?

• The flange distance is really big for a mirrorless (some technical advantage, or maybe thinking about going FF in the future?), but in practice the only pratical mount that you can adapt in a m4/3 and not in NX is the C-mount, and the C-mount lens could not cover an APS-C sensor.

If the NX mount becames popular, maybe more adapters and Speedboosters could be available to it.

• I'm sure if the cameras gain more popularity we'll see some thrid party glass. The sigma art/sports lenses would really fill the gaps in the current line up. A nikon-NX speedbooster would be amazing. I would think it would be possible. Anyone know for sure?

• I'm sure if the cameras gain more popularity we'll see some thrid party glass. The sigma art/sports lenses would really fill the gaps in the current line up

Full Samyang line is available in NX mount.

Samsung NX line is also most affordable quality lenses line on the market.

May be some top Sigma lenses will be good, yep. But I hope Samsung will make more of their own F1.4 line.

A nikon-NX speedbooster would be amazing. I would think it would be possible. Anyone know for sure?

Speed boosters will require protruding rear element for NX.

• A simple explanation of the NX1 BSI sensor design and manufacturing process. A good way to explain it to your friends :).

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/buying-advice/technology_guides/bsi-sensor-backside-illumination-advanced-technology-guide-60726

• Another recent (1/8/2015) NX1 review - geared rather toward stills shooters:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/132172-samsung-nx1-review-the-new-age-dslr-successor

It has a unique perspective on few points. Keep in mind that some of the negative points are based on standard settings and can be easily remedied with a set up that meets your needs. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it.

sales13.jpg
    724 x 483 - 57K
  • There's a post on EOSHD comments section near the bottom of the 3rd regarding the 1.2 firmware blog post with footage from CES with the 1.2 beta firmware showing the different Gamma types: Normal, Gamma-C and Gamma-DR. The poster made the h.265 footage available for download as well as posted a screen shot of each Gamma type.

Gamma-DR looks to retain more dynamic range as expected and does not seems not to require major color correction in post to make the colors look right.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/63s4q7yuwp7nk/CES2015_NX1

• Here is a quick UHD comparison between NX1 and GH4, recorded with flat profiles - before and after color grading (cc). The NX1 has obviously the firmware version 1.10. The new Gamma-DR profile in v. 1.20 should bring further improvement.

• Anyone know about online store in Europe for this camera?

• Thanks, Vitaliy

• Watch with the sound off.

• Would I be a fool to give up my BMPCC for this camera?

• "Would I be a fool to give up my BMPCC for this camera?"

No - if great color out of the box, lower noise, better low light, better AF focus, higher resolution, better screen, has EVF, has touch screen, takes photos are your priorities.

Yes - if higher dynamic range and color space RAW recording, editable codec, use of c-mount lens and speed booster are your priorities.

I think the question is: Are you shooting in a controlled studio environment and looking for absolute dynamic range and color space?

Once you leave the studio - it's the NX1 all the way. Firmware 1.2 will bring a bit more dynamic range so it seems the dynamic range advantage may be less of a deciding factor.

Here's a screen grab from the Gamma-DR CES video where I turned up the contrast slightly, brightness and saturation a bit more in VLC media player. She moving in the frame, so she's a bit blurry, but the point of sharing this is that there is no (major) CC required - this is a total time saver. The DR is looking much better than with the normal Gamma.

GammaDR Vidlan CC sat.jpg
    1436 x 878 - 582K
  • my main focus is low budget music videos right now. I work in semi-controlled environments or a mixture of controlled and uncontrolled. I never shoot raw and I'm missing not having high frame rates. The idea of shooting 120p is very super attractive for my work.

• @ chopnshoot ... then get the NX1 after the firmware 1.20 is released and test it on one of your projects against the BMPCC. Then keep the one you like the best. And let us know why :).

• I had the bmpcc. I think you'll appreciate the NX1 after using the bmpcc. It's more advanced in every way.

• "Its more advanced in every way"

@brianl With the Bmpcc vs NX1 questions, we are talking about two completely different cameras. The reasons one would have to own either seems somewhat subjective I'd think, so "advanced" in terms of use would depend on the user, and his projects.

• The flat ProRes image you get out of the BMPCC is very appeal I not something you can get from most cameras. After having a chance to look at the sample image, the Samsung can give you a very nice flat image too. Not BMPCC flat but something that can take a simple grade and produce good colors.

• Yep, two completely different cams. One is advanced and one isn't.

• @brianl You could also say one, the bmpcc, is for the professional user, and the other, the NX1 is for the common enthusiast user. Or you could say different tools for different jobs.

In the end, my point is both cameras could be used perfectly, for the right situation.

• @chopnshoot I plan on picking up a NX1, but I also plan on keeping my bmpcc for a while.

• I am planning on picking up an NX1 as well, but I will sell my BMPCC.

The BMPCC is not the right camera for me and I have tired to make it work a number of times - even the LX100 worked better for the way I want to shoot - pan, zoom and stabilize in post. In the right hands and under the right conditions the BMPCC looks fantastic, no doubt about it.

I think it comes down to, if you want the flexibility to compose your shot after you shoot you need higher resolution to begin with - the NX1 deliver lots for resolution on top of everything else.