Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @jjj_ri_usa

Btw timing and price are very interesting also. As they set it equal to Samsung NX1 and price was adjusted right before wide release of Samsung.

Seems that they take this camera seriously.

• Is that ever going to happen? Or is it too much data to feed in too little time? Will 60p in 4K come when the H265 codec?

Of course. Most probably it will still be H.264, as you won't be able play high bitrate 4K 60fps HEVC on most computers (on around 90-95%).

• $1497. Great, it's getting better. I still only have a GH3. I'd love to be able to crop/zoom 4K source in a 1080p timeline. And, I really like the idea of being able to pull 8M stills from a 4K capture. But...I would really like to wait till we have 60p available in 4K. Is that ever going to happen? Or is it too much data to feed in too little time? Will 60p in 4K come when the H265 codec? If 60p in 4k will be feasible in the next year or so, I'll bide my time with the GH3. Will we ever see 60p in 4K? Maybe in a GH5?

• Some video projects I made shot with the GH4 incl. Metabones Speedbooster and Nikon lenses.

• V-Log that's awesome.. Panasonic is really making the GH4 a camera to be recon with 422 10bit + 4K + V-Log that's it. Now the only that that I'm waiting for is a cheaper 1080 60p external recorder, one without all extra barebone.

• I'm still waiting on 24fps to be enabled in the new aspect ratios feature for anamorphic shooting. I also read and saw on youtube that when connecting an external viewing monitor in the hdmi when using the new apsect ratios, it somehow switches to default mode at 16:9

These 2 so far are my biggest concerns Panasonic!

• too bad :(

• Unfortunately the new V-log won't be included in this upcoming firmware…. :( https://twitter.com/mattallardACS/status/535658902344720384/photo/1

• Vlog is a lot more flatter than Cine D profile

• I assume 96fps will remain internal recording only..

• I think it's no coincidence that they seem to have waited until the launch of the Atomos to add V-log. If I were in charge of these things at Panasonic I would have it disabled unless an external recorder was functioning. The last thing they would want is GH4 to be associated with noisy, ugly footage from amateur 'filmmakers' the world over.

• Honestly, something like v log is only interesting if it can eek more out of the sensor than current profiles do. Is there actually an expectation of that? If it results in a "flatness" that maintains high levels of noise in the shadows and doesn't improve the harsh clipping of the highlights, not much point. We've already learned in the early days that all -5 and cranking the shadows and highlights can result in a lot of ugliness.

Perhaps a different codec can access more range from the sensor... Or exploit the sensors information dramatically differently? Would be grand. Skeptical.

• I agree ...

• V-log is great to have, but I doubt it will be the best choice in most situations without 10 bit uncompressed.

• @RRRoger - because the Shogun has 4K external recording to Pro Res.

• Sounds to me like I will be able to get the same video recording with the 2.1 firmware that I can already get with my Atomos Ninja II.

FHD is only 1920x1080 resolution.

So why pay >$2000 for a Shogun and more for the media needed? I already have a very good 7" external monitor.

• V-log... mmmm nice....

• If I understand very well it's not only for YAGH users. It's embedded in the HDMI output signal, furthermore

It says when GH4 OR YAGH are connected with the products of Atomos Global.

I guess we just have to wait and see

• Available when DMC-GH4 OR DMW-YAGH are connected... I think what that means is that the limiting factor is that you have to have an Atomos product connected for that feature to work. You can come directly out of the camera or through the YAGH.