Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • comparing the moire from 18sec to 20sec (Red scarlet 4k)

to the GH4 4k 43sec (stairs)

which one would look better?

• IMO if you want GREAT audio then use a high quality recorder. I just think it's a lot to ask for a camera company to give us everything we want at such an affordable price. Some sacrifices have to be made.

It's easy to criticize any camera but this one is a major step up from what was already a very good camera. I can't believe some of the things i'm reading in this thread in terms of the unreasonable comments and expectations. I think Pany made the right sacrifices and gave us as much image quality and format flexibility as possible. It's just amazing that in such a short span of time we have a tool this small and this powerful. Can't wait to see some more images from this camera.

• @Aria @Vitaliy_Kiselev Defenetly agree. the thing is that I believe that the work Vitaliy have been doing with the GH1, GH2 and the rest of the Hackable Lumix cameras must have had some impact on the rout Pany has taken. Showing the way to the more advanced users and to the pros with his hacks and the big interest they have got from many pros and others (me);) Thanks Vitaly!

• I know the 4k is a big thing but what are the GH4 improvement over the GH3 in HD standard without the brick nor external recorder?

Edit I know Focus peaking

• Just as a point of interest for those who are comparing bit rates, We deliver finished HD masters to the broadcast networks in mxf files at a MAXIMUM bit rate of 50mb/s 50i. The GH4 bit rates seem to me to be a good compromise between quality and efficiency.

I do post production work on a lot of Sony XDCAM HD originated footage which is long GOP 50mb/s and it looks ok. The GH4 will do 200 mb/s in HD. I think we may see some incredible work once this camera is in the hands of talented creative people. I have seen amazing quality shot on hacked GH2 and GH3 cameras. I have also been grading Canon log footage from C300 and C100 cameras and getting very bad results! Why? Because the camera operator was sloppy and did not set up the camera to deliver well exposed and proper white balanced footage. The quality is in our skill, not in the equipment.

• Bitrate is not everything. As important is the quality of sensor and scaler and IQ prosessing and codec efficiency.

• @amateur Comparing aliasing and moire paters in those two videos is pointless because severity of the issue really depends strictly on the pattern/object and specific camera combination. The angle of the lines, how they are spaced, how far they are from the cameras, etc. combined with the camera's resolution make all the difference. After all it is an interference so as such the camera's resolution and the type of the pattern have to be considered as frequencies. Even putting the cameras side by side and filming the same target does not give an absolute answer about how they handle moire and aliasing, only about how they handle it in the given shot.

• Another German video with a lot of slides from pans and at the end a view of the Ziggurat on a tripod.

• I loaded that Yucatan video from YT and watched it with potplayer in 200% enlargement (100% pixels in screen). In my 50 inch plasmaTV it looked OK and I didnt see moire and aliasing almost at all. Some were in parrots feathers. Resolution in static shots was quite good but not perfect. Compression was very heavy in moving parts due to YT. Bitrate was generally 8-15 Mbs peaking 20.

• @thorn

There are special XQD memory cards that some of the pro-sumer and pro 4k cameras use as one form of storage. They handle 10 and 12 bit 4:2:2 video recording internally.

As I mentioned previously, the Sony PXW-Z100 4k pro-sumer ENG video camera records in 4k at up to 60 fps with 10 bit 4:2:2, All-I internally with much higher bitrates than the GH4 and even it has some compression issues. It currently streets for $5,500.

100 Mbps, even at the GH4's 8 bit 4:2:0 (which gives horrible banding... that's why everyone is advocating for 10 bit and higher), is not enough for quality 4k recording. That's why I stated an external recorder is going to be necessary, which will drive the actual cost of the GH4 much higher.

If 4k video is necessary for anyone's work, I'd definitely recommend looking at the competition. It will be fierce starting this year. Panasonic just threw 4k into the GH4 as a last minute hook. It's not fully implemented (look at what you have to buy to get it). Sony, JVC, and others are using somewhat newer codecs too.

• @caveport

"The quality is in our skill, not in the equipment."

+1 !

• I dont like that "content is more important" when talking about new cameras capabilities.

• Are there any news on how the gh4 handles low light, higher iso settings. I know it comes with a new sensor, but still at the same size of the gh3.

• Any aprox. release date been announced?

• But seriously.. stop these discussions / comparisons of bitrate because they seem absolutely pointless! Bitrate is one thing but the encoder parameters play the most important part. Just ask Driftwood or any other person in this forum which is skilled in the craft of developing encoder settings. And if you have a decent implementation of parameters it´s up to the shooter to make best use of that given situation.

Without a thorough side by side comparison you are just throwing numbers back and forth. Even then you have problems in that some encoder parameters might handle certain types of scenarios better than others.

And then we have not even touched upon other differences between cameras, which influences what kind of material you will get from it.

I am personally looking forward to trying out the gh4, and with an Odyssey 7Q in the picture before long (mainly for the fs700), I don´t worry about 4k acquisition. IF I was to make a setup for fast recording on the gh4, I´d consider the cheapest (reliable) recorders to go with it to get prores 422 out of the box as that is great for both clients and fast editing. 4k is largely superflous for most applications so far. But first of all, I want to try out the cam and see how I like the image and the overall handling.

• @Vesku

Capabilities, yes.. It´s pretty symptomatic when a new camera is discussed from a viewpoint that it´s always lacking, regardless of its capabilities. This mentality is either a defense (making excuses) or a sickness of our times - development is so fast that everything is outdated or too expensive. (capabilities do not matter).

I would never have thought that panny would put "pro" features (I mean features, tech from their pro division) into a line of "consumer" cameras. Hoping yes, believing no. For a small camera with interchangeable lenses, the capabilities look very impressive (on paper).

• Its funny how Canon has a codec that can squeeze 1080p 50mbits 4:2:2 on the C300 but the GH4 needs up to 200mbits on 4:2:0

Maybe it will have more details on the GH4 but the color res can be more important. a Canon MXF MPEG2 codec at 200mbits would look beautiful and plays back very easily on a lower end system. Editors love the codec and it is approved by the BBC at 50mbits. Would love to have a similar codec on the GH line.

The scaling and output could be so good that it will be very good quality color even with 4:2:0 from the initial sampling.

• @killagram Thanks for the info..

• @jakepowell that's what I was reading only, but it seems that it does true 10bit 422, and it also does record 4K footage.

• @jamesgh2

Its funny how Canon has a codec that can squeeze 1080p 50mbits 4:2:2 on the C300 but the GH4 needs up to 200mbits on 4:2:0

I think you're missing a few points here... Canon doesn't use the 50mb/s codec because they "can", they use it because it's the bare-minimum requirement for a 1080p 4:2:2 image to not fall apart. They do it to sell you better codecs in the C500 and other cameras.

Secondly, the GH4 doesn't "need" to go up to 200mbps, they're implementing a high bitrate to appeal to more professional users who demand higher quality for their projects. The GH4 only "needs" 24mbps... as this looks pretty good on the GH3, but is not really gradable.

• Surprised that more people are not talking about the potential to do post processing stabilization with the 4K footage. With that much extra resolution you could do very affective software stabilization and still have nice 1080p or perhaps even 2.8K stabilized video.

I have a feeling the wider lenses are going to become very popular with the extra crop factor of the GH4 and its stabilization potential. The 12mm F2.0 is definitely looking very tempting to me now. The 42.5mm F1.2 lens is tempting as well with its built in IS.

The ultimate solution would be to have in lens IS and still be able to do software IS as well. You can't combine in lens IS and in body IS but you can combine in body IS or in lens IS with software IS.

• @jamesgh2 The Canon C300 records 8 bit 4:2:2. When it comes to grading, the banding is a bit depth issue not a colour sampling issue. I'd be interested to see what the 4k 4:2:0 recordings look like when converted to HD 10 bit files before grading. Everything is only speculation at this point & it won't be until we see the actual camera in use that we will REALLY be able to criticise it.

• @thorn

Is it common for other cameras to record 10bit 4:2:2 to internal SD cards?

Not on a consumer camera, and the probable reason is that it opens up a can of worms. Most of the video players than run on computers were only designed to decode 4:2:0 color, and they make 4:2:2 videos look like corrupted recordings. We'll probably have to wait for H265 and a new generation of players that do a better job of complying with the specs.

• Since Panny didn't specifically state that the GH4 complies with the new Rec. 2020 color gamut for UHD, I'm going to assume that even the 4k footage is limited to the very old yet still current HD Rec. 709 standard.

I'd love to see the first company that actually delivers an HDMI field recorder that can capture 4k at at least 10 bit 4:2:2 using a superior codec that isn't budget-busting expensive. Indie filmmakers will need it. It's not that 100 Mbps can't look decent for 4k, it's the codec that's doing the compression that is the issue. The GH4 uses MPEG-4 and 8 bit 4:2:0 internally. That doesn't exactly scream "professional-grade" image capturing to me. We all know the problems with 8 bit consumer video.

The cost to do 4k, let alone 10 bit 1080p, is going to be relatively expensive for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.