Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @Nomad
    Most of the suggestions Vitaliy makes sense, and I did not registered for it . Thanks. Most of my fun with GH2 is catching the moment so it might be a little slow. Practice makes perfect.
  • Vitaliy made a suggestion in the "Low Bitrate" thread I started: why not set 24L to a very low rate and have the camera recording a kind of dummy while adjusting?
  • Is it possible to create a preview function, so before turning on the "rec" button to see looks like the image during recording? Would be very helpful when setting the white balance.
  • That's great! :) thank you and sorry for asking in wrong topic.
  • @Alfi666

No it is incorrect. Why no just try and not make fantasies?
    And use Basic questions topic instead!
  • Hello,
    I would have 1 question.
    If I understand it correctly - after I remove the 30 min limit in PAL area, I will loose the 50i correct?
    So this basically does not remove the 30min limit, but switches the camera from PAL over to NTSC right?

I personally don't need higher bitrates, nor 25p... I just would like to get rid of the 30min limit & keep the 1080/50i.

Is this somehow possible?

Thank you :)
  • Question: I own both the GH2 and G2 and have the hacks running on both cameras. On the G2 there was only one set of hack settings I've seen posted and applied those with great success......the problem is with my GH2~ I can't find anyone who has setup settings that allow for 60+mbps settings at 720p (mjpeg) like I'm able to achieve with the G2- any reason why? I would assume the GH2 should be able to achieve 100mbps or greater at 720p mjpeg but have yet to find any settings posted anywhere.....have I missed something guys?
    I'd like the maximum stable 720 settings the GH2 can handle with typical CL10 cards using Mjpeg.
    Thanks guys!
  • Yes I know, I shoot jpeg when on vacations because I don't have time to convert/edit thousands of photo's afterwards. For normal day shooting it is RAW for me as well.

@ Vitaliy; so you think it is possible to do?
  • You know that only works if you shoot JPeg tho right?

When shooting RAW that "AutoReview" image can be displayed and all but it's a quarter or eighths scale embedded jpeg - which when zoomed past 2x is just total interpolated mush not useful for pivel-peeping. :(

Shooting Jpeg seems to display the full res image tho! I wonder how many people shoot jpeg on their GH or GF cameras? I'm a RAW shooter myself. {shrug}.

• Well with the G1 you had a function called AutoReview which would give you a 2x zoomed view of the picture you just took. Now you can only set the Review to 1, 2 or 5 seconds (time the photo is shown after it has been taken) and you need to manually zoom in using the wheel on the back of the camera. The G1 option made it possible to scan a photo on sharpness in a matter of seconds without touching a button.
  • Vitaliy can you add the AutoReview function to the GH2 firmware again. Extremely usefull for the photographers out there. Thanks.
  • @evero

I won't do this.
    Because this topics are not for frequently asked questions.
    And both are very easy to find.
    Just click on proper category, only22 topics in it.
  • A suggestion: Is it possible to make this thread and (latest) PTool thread sticky in the forum? (aka "Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic" and "PTool v3.62d topic" for the time being).
    They get burried in all the other forum threads from time to time..

• it is ready, if you stay conservative. The main problem currently is that spanning (that ability for the camera to automatically start recording to a new file when it reaches the 4GB file limit) does not work reliably if you go much over the stock bitrates. If that is not important to you, its not hard to do. If it is important to you to have spanning (ie continuous recording for more than ~20min at a time (less if you set to a high bitrate) ) then use these settings: of mine - not a dramatic quality increase over stock, but spanning will always work, even on mediocre SD cards:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/14894#Comment_14894

Edit - the main problem as I see it - spanning may not be the main problem for others - don't want to speak for them
  • Hi all! So I'm aware many folks are working on the testing of the gh2 hack, and I was wondering when this would be ready for the layman gh2 shooter? I'm beyond excited to get some films made using it. Thanks!
  • Hi Vitaliy, is that possible to enable GH2 to use ISO above 3200 in video mode? I shoot underwater video and so I think higher ISO can be useful.
  • Guys, who have extra GH1.
    I am searching for someone who could provide GH1 body for Chris (he'll return it if it won't be bricked :-) ).
    He is mostly focused on film modes research and having body at hand and making risky patches could speed it up very considerable.
    Results will be very useful for GH2 and other camera users, because film modes implementation is very similar among them.
  • not sure what you mean by consolidation, but maybe check out this thread http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/699/avchd-maximum-image-quality-settings-and-testing

Going back to factory settings is very easy - you just use ptool to create a hacked version of the firmware with only the 'version increment' patch checked and load that onto the camera. Back to original settings.
  • @vitaly, i bought a gh2 about 4 months ago. I want to do high-end video production. i felt that the GH2 would be a strong platform, and heard that "hacks" would improve performance. with that in mind, i want max video potential with the highest bitrate i can, and i have no concern about photo settings. if you don't have a consolidation of all the settings, i'd be more than happy to help create one, but if you do have a consolidation of settings, that would be very helpful. last, if i mess things up, how easy is it to take the gh2 back to its original or previous state? ps: thx so much for all your work, i look forward to donating once my gh2 has been reset.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for your reply, So as my request is more photographically related it wont be covered in any of your hacks?
  • Sounds good:) Hopefully there will update the firmware, the new AVCHD spec. Then the whole, thanks to your work once more! One more question: Can we soon hope to telecrop hdmi with no problems?
  • Both I and Chris are working on film modes.
    I also work on new HDMI patches that will be available to strike team members soon.
  • Ooops, I see, 30 secs - 30 mins, sorry!