Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • @AlbertZ I was talking specifically about the camera hardware since most of the complexity is in the encoder, but yes, higher profiles define higher requirements on the decoder, even though I think it won't be noticeable on a semi-modern PC. Even my 3 & 1/2 year old LG 2x smartphone has hardware accelerated x264 playback.

• I would buy the GH4, provides everything a filmmaker guerrilla need, I have the budget for GH4 , the problem is that after renewing my computer and purchase one that can edit those videos to 4K , a monitor to see the resolution, but since in this case the money does not reach me .

I I thought alternatively the GX7 , I love their concept, go perfectly fits to my street shooting style that allows me to carry in my jacket pocket and go unnoticed (in countries like mine where in recent times there is a lot of crime is a plus), the GH4 although not as large as the traditional DSLR does not fit in your pocket and take pictures and video as I thought about buying it now and then end of the year or next year then buy the GH4 and maybe then it has dropped some hundreds of dollars.

From the comments I see that GX7 can provide use in the video look beyond the amateur, I was concerned about the issue of codec , how commented I soprende quality I perceive him and you to confirm me in a big screen lost.

Thanks @AlbertZ @duartix

• @Manu4Vendetta Completely lost in translation on that last paragraph.

Before buying a GX7 I advise you to hold one in a store near you. I was running at full steam to buy that camera to replace my GH2, but then one day I picked one up in my hands. I had gripping/holding issues so bad that they were enough to make me change my mind and wait instead for a G7 (that will never come, according to rumours).

Well, I guess my GH2 will have to serve me through at least another year...

• I second the gripping issue. I can use the 20mm f1.7 & 14-42MM MK2 comfortably with the GX7....I find using anything bigger...say the oly 12-40mm f2.8 really uncomfortable and a pain to use. I do have long fingers..so that dont help much :-D

• Handling is really a very personal thing. I have big hands and for me is just the opposite: I shoot (stills) a lot with heavy old lenses (like the Canon FD 135mm 2.5) and for me the GX7's grip is much better than GH2's - with the GH2 my grip hand starts to hurt after about 1 hour, because of the lens weight; with the GX7, never had this issue.

But a bigger thumb support would be very welcome.

• @duartix, first, sorry, my english is bad and thanks for answer.

I have a NEX-5N somewhat similar to the GX7 and I dont have problem with his grip, although the NEX has a protruding part and lets hook in hand, in the GX7 look like lower.

My problem is that in my country there are no stores that sell Panasonic cameras (G, GH, GX, GF) and cant test, I have I have to order for a family member in the U.S. or buy via amazon/ebay. It is unfortunate that went to the official representative for Panasonic in Dominican Republic (my country) for repair the GH2, I have a small problem with the screen at certain grade levels dont give preview, they say dont give technical support for cameras, but they sell compacts cameras and have video with several Lumix M4/3 (business strategy contradictory and stupid).

• New firmware

• Connection problem with Apple iOS devices via Wi-Fi is fixed.
    • Improved stability of startup process in the use of UHS-I compliant SD memory card.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

• The GX7 can do slow motion?

• Yes the GH7 can shoot in 60p which when slowed by 40% is 24p ...

• @grisnjam, thanks.

But with 60p recording 1/125 or 1/250 I can obtain a fluid slow motion, like for example the intro of Reservoir Dogs?

• Here are some samples of mine doing 60p (1/125) slowed to 24p ...

Volleyball, shot on the GH3:

Ski Biking, shot on the Hero3:

I was pleased with the smoothness. Note that the GH4 offers 96fps in 1080p mode which when slowed by 25% gives 24p. Example from Andrew Reid:

• @Manu4Vendetta. Actually, you'll get a much smoother look than that. That opening from Reservoir Dogs looks like it was just filmed with a normal shutter speed in 24p and then slowed down. Notice how it stutters a bit. Now compare that to @grisnjam 's footage. Much smoother. If you want the obvious slow mo effect like reservoir dogs, you could do it with any 24p or 30p camera.

• Thanks for answer boys.

@Blazer, you're absolutely right, that intro from Tarantino isnt very fluid.

A good sample from the quality of GX7 and with slow motion is here.

But, can slow down a bit more without losing quality, 1/320? I guess there no way to get something close to the 96fps of GH4.

• @Manu4Vendetta if you need something slower than 60fps and you are set on using the gx7, shoot in 60p, play it back at 24p and use something like twixtor to go even slower. Depending on your subject you can get some weird effects if you slow it down too much. It's good 1080p@ 60fps especially if you record as a .mov rather than avchd. If you need something more than that you could wait till something with 120fps becomes more affordable or go with the gh4.

• @doodsaq, thanks for the info, I like both; GX7 and GH4. Im not sure of buy now.

• I have new questions for video area:

• Using a flatted profile the focus peaking decrease hindering focus sometimes?

• Is functional the highlights for video?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, can Panasonic enable the HDMI output for video record with firmware or is a subject deep of hardware?

• Jens: “I took my Panasonic GX7 with me to Istanbul and wrote me experience with the camera down in this blogpost (german): http://fotoblog-reiseberichte.de/mit-der-panasonic-gx7-istanbul/ In short =>this camera is amazing and made me not miss my APS-C DSLR!” (43rumors.com)

• can Panasonic enable the HDMI output for video record with firmware or is a subject deep of hardware?

Can be any of this two options, we do not know.

• Thanks Vitaliy.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Using a flatted profile the focus peaking decrease hindering focus sometimes?

The camera don't have a "flat" profile per se - maybe you can do a custom one using the highlight/shadow adjustment, but I don't know if more image information is kept. But about the peaking, generally it is more precise using it combined with the zoom assist.

Is functional the highlights for video?

If you are talking about the highlights alert, yes, it works when recording video.

• This cant be real with a recent and great camera. :(

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-gx7-gets-officially-discontinued/

Bildschirmfoto2014-07-06um105808_zps720f7698.png
    700 x 160 - 75K
  • @Manu4Vendetta

If you check GF3 panic discounted posts on same resource and actual availability you'll be shocked. You still can buy it new if you want :-)