Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • I´m getting this flicker effect if the exposition is not correct, even in daylight if the xpor is a little bit sub the dark zones start to flick...any repor of that? should I give back the camara? I never had this with the GH2, never. Banding with GH1 was normal in this zones with no enough light, bad and don´t think is banding ( only natural light involve ), and maybe is banding too in uniform lights, like a chair ( wich it had moire too), wall etc..really weird

• I´m totally freak out! I can´t manage to get a proper shot in interior without flickering a lot. When a push rec, start a flicker party, no matter wich mov set I choose, no matter wich ss choose...in lcd or lvf evrything is more or less ok untill I hit rec and all start flickering. If I shoot exterior no problem, but in interior without light, only with the light from the vindow start flickering. Manual lenses, voiglander 25mm, manual focus, manual white balance....any idea? Noo! Even in the outside, the dark and uniform zones flick, less but flick....what is this?

• Thank you for your response.

I already arranged the return/exchange with the store. The button is rock-solid, doesn't depress at all even with more pressure than I believe it would be necessary on any such device. :)

So there, 1 new kind of malfunction on a new GH3 that I can't find anything about on the internet.

• The center part of the AF/AE lock should depress noticeably. Not much, but it does depress. The outer ring of course doesn't move in at all ... it should be solid to the touch.

Neil

• I just got my GH3, and I think it's faulty.

I can't press AF/AE LOCK button. It's just hard and it doesn't go in under pressure.

I currently don't have any native (AF) lenses so I can't test it, can someone please just answer this stupid question: is it supposed to be like that? :D

• Ok this is going to sound dumb most likely. I am just very busy lately and I am trying to find some quick answers. I currently shoot with a GH2 (hacked). Is the GH3 going to get hacks? or is it better out of the box than my hacked GH2? only reason I ask is because I love the idea of 60p 1080 slow-mo and from what I have read slightly better low light performance.

Honest answers appriciated!

Rob

• My first wedding video for some good friends. GH3 and GH2 used 14 - 140 Voigtlander 25mm (Love this lens, My favorite by far) Filmed and edited by myself

• @AronJAnderson What picture profile and presets did you use for your video? It looked great!

• @AronJAnderson Thanks! Considering the results (skin tones) it looks like film convert does quite a good job. And the 'analog' feel pleases me. Which color correctors do you suggest to get same results? I appreciate a post of an example of good skin tone correction since it is quite hard with GH3.

• If anyone is interested in audio on the GH3 - did a little test of various mics and also compared the GH3 gain vs JuicedLink which I love (really good preamp for the price).

• Hi Gerondo looks good, do you like film convert. Can't you just do that in other color grading programs.

• Recorded with GH3 'scenery all dialed down to -5 before and after grading in Filmconvert. @rNeil maybe Filmconvert is the plugin for you considering the nice grains.

Schermafbeelding 2013-11-23 om 00.41.29.png
    1280 x 591 - 921K
    Schermafbeelding 2013-11-23 om 00.18.38.png
    1280 x 590 - 1M
  • Thanks @Maxr, and I agree about using those transitions sparingly...in this case the client kind of pushed for more.

• My latest with 14-140 old version .

• @kellar42 love the edit - cuidadín con abusar del efecto colour offset :P
    @AronJAnderson very nice grading buddy and so sharp :D

• Here is a video I did using the GH3 at 60p. This camera is still my favorite.

• Not the craziest party video ever, but a fun Halloween down here in Panama. GH3 holds its own pretty well in low light against a MKII (Glidecam stuff is MKII)...giving a crisper image with a bit more noise, but I suppose that noise could be taken down in post and probably still be left with something hair nicer than the 5D if one really wanted. By the time Youtube is done, I don't bother de-noising.

• GH3&D800&other cams

• Here is behind the scenes of my Sci fi short film Clandestine I used the GH3.

• http://www.enterthepitch.com/the-pitch/2013/thieves/

Filmed this with the GH3, mostly a 1.4f 50mm Takumar lens. There are a couple of shots taken from videobloks too, and a 2 seconds shot with a 5D Mark 2. Not sure I am posting in the right place, but if you like the 2 min trailer feel free to vote for it too :).

• I'd thought about that one-shot card ... does look quite interesting.

And yea, I've gone to tweaking the main curve for the GH3 stuff right at firs ... a slight bump up and to the left just above 'mid' level, and almost up to mid, again a very slight bump down/right. Sometimes it seems best to move the mid just a titch right and then go a teensy bit above it and put that back on the 'line' for a quick way to increase the upper-mid contrast the GH3 seems to need.

Now ... I c/b with the ol' ExpoDisc, it does a pretty decent ball-parking job even in odd colors. I'm wondering about doing that in-cam, then shooting a one-shot for use to make a first pass 'tech-grade' from. Hmmm.

Neil

• @rneil I've been working my rear off trying to figure out the facial color issue with the gh3. I even got a DSC OneShot chart to try to match it to the gh2. Great chart, btw. Highly recommended.

My best recommend right now is to white balance with a gray card or white card. I still have plenty of testing to do. And yeah, same issue with time vs wanting to know everything.

One interesting diff between the gh2 and 3 is that the gh2 seems to throw more contrast in the midtones. This would obviously account for the gh3's flatter look.