Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @greyapple I don't know the answer to your questions but I do know your video made me crap my pants! Nice job.

• I just shot this music video entirely on a GH3. SLR Magic 12mm, Lumix 14mm, Nokton 25mm, Canon FD 50 mm, Rokinon 85 mm. Used transcode to Cineform for color correction. Hope you like it.

• I have a video shoot coming up, and I may need to rent a GH3. I have two important questions:

1. How much recording time is there on a fully charged battery? (May need to rent 2)
    2. Are there any spanning problems using a Transcend Class 10 32-gig card?
  • @Brian_Siano 1. about 3h recorded files. 2. dont know I never used this one

• With respect, i ask: any news about the hack?

I can't find the topic about hack progress.

• Am I the only one who needs a feature to set crop marks with different aspect ratios (not just the widescreen, but also the classic 4:3 cinematic ones as the 1.37:1) on the GH3 LCD?

I believe that this one would be a nice (and possible) thing to be included in a future hack...

• @a4p

You're right. The grids can help you, anyway.

• @Renovatio

The thing with the grid is that it covers the subject, and because of that I have found it too much distracting while composing the image. That is why an improved crop marks feature would be very welcome from me

• Another GH3 HDMI question from me (thanks to everyone who helped me before BTW): if I am recording and the HDMI cable/signal gets pulled out/interrupted, does the recording stop, as it does with the GH2.

For context, I am interested as I use wireless HDMI for jumbocam-ing and recording at the same time. GH2 with a hdmi throughput monitor is working fine so far, but if the GH3 doesn't need it AND it gives me extra reach on EXT mode with HDMI out still active, then it will be worth my while investing in.

• One of the comments about GH3's is the way the images give at times "plasticene" skin, with (even when shot with good wb) some bluish tones in the highlights. Yea, in processing some things through recently I've had to deal with this. For stills, using Lightroom's grain feature makes a HUGE difference in how skin appears ... adding a fairly light bit of medium-sized sort of 'rough' grain to the image makes the skin SO much more life-like, and at that point the bluish highlights don't seem nearly as noticeable to simply disappear. Of course, one of the magician's trade tricks of both stills and video is captivating the viewer's eye on what you WANT them to see, not the minor pitfalls here and there, right?

In video, I'm trying to do something similar ... though there it seems that adding a hint of grain coupled with a very slight minus-blue in the highlights works to do the job. I've been toying (in AE) with both Shian's Ghears' version of film grain, and also the built-in noise/grain tools ... but I need some footage of close-up faces to work on to really come up with a "plan", and I don't have any 'here' right now. Need to shoot some, in amongst the OTHER 5,000 immediate needs.

There's never enough time to simply play with this stuff to really learn it, in the way my brain wants too. Just gotta get to 'good enough for this job' and move on. Sigh.

Neil

• @rneil I've been working my rear off trying to figure out the facial color issue with the gh3. I even got a DSC OneShot chart to try to match it to the gh2. Great chart, btw. Highly recommended.

My best recommend right now is to white balance with a gray card or white card. I still have plenty of testing to do. And yeah, same issue with time vs wanting to know everything.

One interesting diff between the gh2 and 3 is that the gh2 seems to throw more contrast in the midtones. This would obviously account for the gh3's flatter look.

• I'd thought about that one-shot card ... does look quite interesting.

And yea, I've gone to tweaking the main curve for the GH3 stuff right at firs ... a slight bump up and to the left just above 'mid' level, and almost up to mid, again a very slight bump down/right. Sometimes it seems best to move the mid just a titch right and then go a teensy bit above it and put that back on the 'line' for a quick way to increase the upper-mid contrast the GH3 seems to need.

Now ... I c/b with the ol' ExpoDisc, it does a pretty decent ball-parking job even in odd colors. I'm wondering about doing that in-cam, then shooting a one-shot for use to make a first pass 'tech-grade' from. Hmmm.

Neil

• http://www.enterthepitch.com/the-pitch/2013/thieves/

Filmed this with the GH3, mostly a 1.4f 50mm Takumar lens. There are a couple of shots taken from videobloks too, and a 2 seconds shot with a 5D Mark 2. Not sure I am posting in the right place, but if you like the 2 min trailer feel free to vote for it too :).

• Here is behind the scenes of my Sci fi short film Clandestine I used the GH3.

• GH3&D800&other cams

• Not the craziest party video ever, but a fun Halloween down here in Panama. GH3 holds its own pretty well in low light against a MKII (Glidecam stuff is MKII)...giving a crisper image with a bit more noise, but I suppose that noise could be taken down in post and probably still be left with something hair nicer than the 5D if one really wanted. By the time Youtube is done, I don't bother de-noising.

• Here is a video I did using the GH3 at 60p. This camera is still my favorite.

• @kellar42 love the edit - cuidadín con abusar del efecto colour offset :P
    @AronJAnderson very nice grading buddy and so sharp :D

• My latest with 14-140 old version .

• Thanks @Maxr, and I agree about using those transitions sparingly...in this case the client kind of pushed for more.

• Recorded with GH3 'scenery all dialed down to -5 before and after grading in Filmconvert. @rNeil maybe Filmconvert is the plugin for you considering the nice grains.

Schermafbeelding 2013-11-23 om 00.41.29.png
    1280 x 591 - 921K
    Schermafbeelding 2013-11-23 om 00.18.38.png
    1280 x 590 - 1M
  • Hi Gerondo looks good, do you like film convert. Can't you just do that in other color grading programs.